Warrior-Mages: The Other Magic Meat

Questions and suggestions for additions or changes to these topics

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Re: Warrior-Mages: The Other Magic Meat

Postby Menhir on Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:12 am

those are excellent examples, Crow, and I appreciate you taking the time to write them up clearly and simply. As I said, I was curious to see how it went at even levels, and I was completely pulling the stats I used out of thin air.

It's odd to see such a high difference, IE your GC potentially doing 20-25 damage per hit on avg. Where the WaM does a meager 5 avg.

As you mentioned, my thoughts on the setup were my intuition on the outcome since I hadn't crunched numbers. Something to consider that might skew numbers though likely only fractionally ... Do the WaM's stats have to be -exactly- even with one another? Or is there, perhaps, a buffer that they have to remain in line with? Say within 20 of the rest, or 10 etc etc ... It's not mentioned anywhere that I've found, the actual variance allowed or if they have to be exactly or within 1 point of one another. Though even 20 points difference wouldn't make -that- much of a change in the outcomes I feel.
Menhir
Adept
Adept

Postby crow on Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:05 am

Menhir wrote:those are excellent examples, Crow, and I appreciate you taking the time to write them up clearly and simply. As I said, I was curious to see how it went at even levels, and I was completely pulling the stats I used out of thin air.

Thank you, it was my pleasure. ^^

It's odd to see such a high difference, IE your GC potentially doing 20-25 damage per hit on avg. Where the WaM does a meager 5 avg.

Yeah, it's pretty crazy. Though to be fair a GC like that is probably the worst possible matchup for a WM.
There are some other builds that a WM would fare better against.
Like say, the Agile Thief: 10str/10int/10res/270agi ^^

WM 150(75+75) vs 280(10+270):
Chance of being hit: 70%
Average difference: 70
Average damage: 25.5 (As damage die only go up to 50)
Per attack: 17.85

AT 20(10+10) vs 150(75+75)
Chance of being hit: 98%
Average difference: 65
Average damage: 25.5 (As damage die only go up to 50)
Per attack: 24.99

But that is fairly niche, and the GC does equally as well in that situation as the WM.
As you mentioned, my thoughts on the setup were my intuition on the outcome since I hadn't crunched numbers. Something to consider that might skew numbers though likely only fractionally ... Do the WaM's stats have to be -exactly- even with one another? Or is there, perhaps, a buffer that they have to remain in line with? Say within 20 of the rest, or 10 etc etc ... It's not mentioned anywhere that I've found, the actual variance allowed or if they have to be exactly or within 1 point of one another. Though even 20 points difference wouldn't make -that- much of a change in the outcomes I feel.

Correct. Warrior-Mages are allowed a little wiggle room. I think it's 10, but don't quote me on that.

So it would be permissible to build for instance 70/80/70/80 for a slightly more potent 80+80=160 RanMagAtk.
Which would naturally improve the numbers a bit, but it is worth remembering this is because the WM is moving away from 'balanced' and towards 'glass cannon' as much as her limitation will allow.

GC 150(10+140) vs 160(80+80):
Chance of being hit: 53% (vs 50)
Average difference: 24 (vs 22)
Average damage: 12 (vs 11.5)
Per attack: 6.36 (vs 5.5)
crow
Expert
Expert

Postby miyuka on Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:00 am

Should be 10. Looks like some of the wording for that disadvantage has been lost at some point. I'll get it added back in post haste.
miyuka

Previous

Return to Races, Classes and Skills