Cooking - ranked skill.

Questions and suggestions for additions or changes to these topics

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Cooking - ranked skill.

Postby Cayenne on Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:12 am

Cooking (All Classes)
Novice - the cook knows enough, not to burn water.
Apprentice - may cook the most basic of dishes. Able to make simple soups and broths.
Journeyman - the cook knows how to make adequate simple dishes of a variety and type indigenous to their area.
Expert - the cook is now showing even greater proficiency. They have come to excel at all manner of local cuisine and know inherently the proper spices to use for making most dishes.
Master - has learned even many dishes of exotic nature and can now use spices from foreign areas in the preparation of their dishes as well as exotic cooking styles. No dish is beyond their skills and they can create food worthy of the Emperor himself.

While I realize that they may be working on the whole Ranked vs Unranked skill. I do sincerely think that the descriptions need to be reworked. If you are a cook - and they are calling you a cook, then you can cook. Period. As humorous as it is to say that a novice cook just knows enough not to burn water - this is a skill that is worth 20 mhls a month should you be employed at a location that pays for it - and as such should be equal to the unranked skill of cooking.

Novice - While you might be able to cook basic dishes, they are not at the level, or speed required for customers to pay money, as such your job within the kitchen is often relegated to cleaning and more simple prep work. (Like the washing and peeling of vegetables)
Apprentice - Some of your basic dishes are now suitable for customers, you have also begun making broths as your area of expertise in prep work has expanded to include simple chopping and knife work.

-

This puts Novice in line with the expectations of the un-ranked skill - and worth paying actual money for.
Cayenne
Adept
Adept

Re: Cooking - ranked skill.

Postby miyuka on Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:24 pm

I think someone was trying to be silly with that one
miyuka

Re: Cooking - ranked skill.

Postby Cayenne on Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:05 pm

That's why I think it should be changed. Some people take their characters seriously, as with their progression. To have to tell newbies to ignore what a write-up says because it was just played for a joke sets things on the wrong foot.

The descriptions do not have to be detailed, some amount of open ended quality can be very helpful in differentiating two characters.

Take novice cooking for instance. One character might have the speed required, but their end product would be a disaster - so going forward they learn to improve the quality of their dishes. Another may be able to cook great meals but crumble under the time constraints and volume.
Cayenne
Adept
Adept

Return to Races, Classes and Skills