Skill Suggestion: Performance

Questions and suggestions for additions or changes to these topics

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Skill Suggestion: Performance

Postby Kooky on Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:31 am

Performance (Any Class)
Novice - The performer has overcome stage fright enough to perform in front of other people, usually small groups.
Apprentice - The person is now able to handle larger groups, and more intricate events and skills showcasing their talents. They may be less distracted by cheers or jeers in the arena, able to concentrate on their blacksmithing with less burns from an open forge, or hold their melody of song better while in a loud environment.
Journeyman - The performer can now better address their audience, looking them in the eye and singling out people for their attention while not ignoring the rest in the area; a great method of possibly gaining tips. They are ready for larger audiences and street venues.
Expert - Now they are able to lose themselves to their performance without risk of losing the audience. Their presence commands attention and each motion, each words seems to spike with their gained confidence and art. When they perform, eyes are definitely watching.
Master - The performer now has full concentration when working, and it can take a lot to distract them from such work. Not only can they work the audience with what they do, they can teach, lecture and explain things without missing a beat to their designated task. They are able to lead parades and bands, and are worthy enough of putting on displays of skill and form at the Imperial Palace.

This is a skill designed with entertainers in mind, though not the Entertainer class alone. This includes fighters putting on a show of bloodshed and jeering at the arena, priests in their temples preaching in glorious display, artisans sculpting in front of customers in the market bazaar and even blacksmiths beating their hammers to the open forge. Life is art, and the art and life of performance is in of itself a skill and talent.

Having another skill available for Entertainers is always a plus too and can allow them more pay for what they're best at.
Dev Team Member | Manager of the Bazaar (Lumio) | Assistant Manager of the Arena (Lumio) | Assistant Manager of the General Store (Spotzen Strype) | Manager of Chocolates 2 Cherish (Calvan) | Assistant Manager of the Siren's Call (Sammy)

Most known characters - Lumio, Misk, Rumplelynx, Moxie Fink, and Icki
Kooky
Predominate
Predominate

Re: Skill Suggestion: Performance

Postby Naomh on Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:50 am

My complaint is going to be the obvious one, there's a little overlap with this skill and the other performance skills, such as dancing. However there is also enough of a difference i don't feel that enough of an issue to say no to this.

I can get behind it

EDIT: This also feels like a skill that has to have a complimentary one. Like instrument playing or singing, etc... The skill by itself is extremely limited without a proper skill to show off in your performance.
Avatar courtesy of: Lucky/Isilindil : http://belariath.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136186#p136186
Team member of: Dev, SI, Quest, Ops
Manager of: Sorcerous Sanctuary (Anaya), Unigo (Headmistress - Keani), Lodge of Strength (Head Priestess - Robyn)
Assistant manager of: Thallis (Lady of the Azure Isle - Naomh), Sutara's house (Majordomo - North), Arena (Records Keeper - Kateri)
Naomh
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Kooky on Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:38 am

Naomh wrote:EDIT: This also feels like a skill that has to have a complimentary one. Like instrument playing or singing, etc... The skill by itself is extremely limited without a proper skill to show off in your performance.

That's exactly what it is. It enables one to do skill ____ in front of a crowd, and at their level of skill. Doing something great is one thing, but doing something great in front of a crowd, aka performing, is another. Stage fright, distractions, questions, that feeling of prying eyes.. it can affect quality of work in a produce, movement on the arena sands, the steps of a dance and proper roll of those hips at the right timing.

I've met many people who work amazingly.. but can't do it in front of others. Glassblowers, dancers, jousters... This is mainly from the Ren Fair, but it fits. I figured it was worth a shot to give at the very least, entertainers another ranked skill besides dancing and tending. Though this is a skill suited for anyone really.
Dev Team Member | Manager of the Bazaar (Lumio) | Assistant Manager of the Arena (Lumio) | Assistant Manager of the General Store (Spotzen Strype) | Manager of Chocolates 2 Cherish (Calvan) | Assistant Manager of the Siren's Call (Sammy)

Kooky
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Tehya on Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:52 pm

Wouldn't one acquire such a skill through rp or mentoring with another entertainer? There is also the Arist's`Ambit provided by SB and Ehlanna to those wanting to meet or practice there. I guess what I am saying once a skill is brought up to the max and using the places and people involved, wouldn't that suffice in diminishing stage-fright?
Tehya

Postby Kooky on Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:57 pm

Tehya wrote:Wouldn't one acquire such a skill through rp or mentoring with another entertainer?

I would hope so. That's how most knowledge and skills are gained, and I could see this done in that same way and making for a lot of play. I in no way intend for this skill to mean that anyone without it -cannot- perform on stage well. Having it, just means you get paid for it by different venues.
Ex. I've seen many characters cook, who do not have the cooking skill. They cook for the fun of it and realism of the play, rather than for pay.

Tehya wrote:There is also the Arist's`Ambit provided by SB and Ehlanna to those wanting to meet or practice there.

That's an area, a place of possibly obtaining such skills and working on them. I haven't seen it used ICly myself, but maybe more Entertainment-themed skills could breathe new life into that? We don't have many, but we have plenty for combat and creation.

Tehya wrote:I guess what I am saying once a skill is brought up to the max and using the places and people involved, wouldn't that suffice in diminishing stage-fright?

Not realistically. It can work for some skills, but doing such skills in front of people is a whole other matter. One person may be able to craft glasswork of amazing quality, but to craft it efficiently and put on a show of doing so in front of leering eyes while ignoring crowd distractions is a whole different complex area.

Ranked skills aside, let's take singers for example. There are some people with amazing voices and perfect pitch, but that doesn't mean they can sing in front of a crowd, or sing in front of a crowd and put true emotion into it beyond just getting things technically correct, and follow through with actions and gestures, and continue to then do so while a bar fight breaks out. It's not only about stage-fright alone. Having a stage presence and being able to perform is so much more.

I myself am decent with a blade. I can handle a spar just fine. But when another person, or camera or more people are involved, I become a horrible sparring partner and can't even follow through properly with choreographed sets. I get distracted, nervous, second-guess myself, somehow I forget my proper motions and have even gotten hurt by not blocking where and when I should and I don't have that presence that draws the eye, that performance aura to captivate.

Where we have Tending/Etiquette as a diverse skill to cover clerking, bathhouse attendants, barkeeps, hosting, and other such tasks with being social, alert to another's needs, racial differences and more, I see Performance as a skill that aids in other skills, especially unranked ones, by being more of a way for them to get paid for their talents as well as enhancing the overall use and function of the unranked skills, which are vital to entertainers who do not dance at this point in the game. It's also way easier than trying to have unranked skills be made ranked, when we can unofficially lump them the way that Sculpting/Whittling/Casting is lumped into one. Only Performance lumps them without being a catch-all for being able to do all of them. One still needs the individual skills to be able to perform them in a great public venue for regular, professional pay as opposed to freelancing alone or working off tips only.

Edit: OMG I got wordy there. .__. Long explanation is long.. I should really avoid writing these when I'm so eager but mind-blank from lack of sleep.

Kooky
Predominate
Predominate

Postby L`aquera on Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:11 pm

While I actually like it, I don't think it needs adding, you can learn this simply doing things, a natural development to the char. rather then just slapping on another title.
Don't breath, don't think.. for I am the shadow that will forever over take you..
L`aquera
High Council
High Council

Postby Tehya on Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:54 pm

L explained it as I was trying to. I agree
Tehya

Postby Kooky on Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:58 am

This is true. The same can be said for Tending/Etiquette.

I'm honestly just looking over the balance of the game mechanically in the ranked skill area. We have 6 skills geared towards soldier/scout/healer/combative types, numerous artisan/laymen type skills and one entertaining-themed skill that was a recent add and is geared towards one very specific skill that doesn't have a branch of range as our other skills do. We have many entertaining characters, and if one were to go the entertaining route that was not a dancer, they would be stuck with Tending only as a ranked skill, the same goes for a street performer, stilt-walker, street artisan.

I agree that performing can be learned and done through development, that's how any/all skills should be done. I just figured putting a label on it, would allow.. let's say... a singer character, to be able to sing (unranked) while having the performance skill help them to get paid for it as being a hired entertainer at a House or such without dancing being required. This is also a poor example from what I would normally think, but my mind is not the best right now.

But as it's a no, I'll not continue the fight for it. Eventually I'll probably post something else as well and flood the MB a bit more hehehe. Thank you for hearing me out.

Kooky
Predominate
Predominate

Return to Races, Classes and Skills