Questions about Warrior-Mage

Questions and suggestions for additions or changes to these topics

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Questions about Warrior-Mage

Postby The Mercenary Abby on Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:34 pm

Alright, I was looking into Warrior-Mage (for reasons) and I have some questions about the class (tried to ask in OOC earlier but there was no response, but I might as well post it here where I can refer back to it in the future). I don't know if these have been asked in the MB before but...

#1 When you become a Warrior Mage, do you lose both your Warrior and Mage class or only one of them?

#2 Would a Warrior-Mage/Warrior be able to wield a Class 'D' weapon or is this dual class an exception to that dual class rule?

#3 The website says that a Warrior Mage's stats should be too different from each other. Does that only refer to STR, INT, AGI, and RES? Or does it include STA and/or LIFE too?

#4 If a Warrior Mage DOES lose one of their two classes, if it's a Mage would they still be able to use the spells they learned before they turned into Warrior Mages?

#5 If you decide to become a Warrior Mage after hitting Warrior/Magex3, would you still be able to use the Mage spells if you take the Mage class away?
"The best thing in life is finding someone who knows all of your flaws, mistakes, and weaknesses and still thinks you're completely amazing."
The Mercenary Abby
Predominate
Predominate

Re: Questions about Warrior-Mage

Postby Adonai on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:41 pm

2. No, if one class is not able to wield it, it means you cannot, I believe. Can be wrong, does happen from time to time.
3. STR AND INT have to stay the same. ' Warrior Mages are those who walk the line between the paths of warrior and mage. As such they need to keep a balance between the physical and the magical, developing the stats for both disciplines and not allowing one to suffer significantly by concentrating solely on the other. '
4. I do not believe so, but don't take my word as law of course, lol, i am sure an OP will chime in.
5. This is basically the same as 4.
Let the warriors clamor after gods of blood and thunder; love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides, and life and death alike follow in its wake.
Adonai
Expert
Expert

Postby Akaton on Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:04 pm

For #2 dual classes get best weapons worse armor.

#4 you can use any spell already known not sure about spells in which you lose and no longer have prerequisites for. Also not sure if still bugged in Des, it was, but rules say you can still buy, at the SS, slots in spells you already know even if you are no longer able to learn anything new from the sphere they are in. Again not sure how this applies to spells you lost prerequisites for.
Akaton
Expert
Expert

Postby Naomh on Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:34 pm

The Mercenary Abby wrote:
#1 When you become a Warrior Mage, do you lose both your Warrior and Mage class or only one of them?

You lose only one. You need both to be eligible for the class but only advance one of the two classes.

#2 Would a Warrior-Mage/Warrior be able to wield a Class 'D' weapon or is this dual class an exception to that dual class rule?

Technically yes, however WarMages have a specific restriction of not being able to use two-handed weapons period, and to my knowledge all D-class weapons are two-handed...

#3 The website says that a Warrior Mage's stats should be too different from each other. Does that only refer to STR, INT, AGI, and RES? Or does it include STA and/or LIFE too?

It's my understanding that it's the 4 stats that need to be relatively close to each other, STA and LIFE can be off-balance as you please

#4 If a Warrior Mage DOES lose one of their two classes, if it's a Mage would they still be able to use the spells they learned before they turned into Warrior Mages?

Just like advancing mage to an elemental mage, yes you keep your old spells, some of them you may still be able to progress normally as WarMages have arcane sphere access.

#5 If you decide to become a Warrior Mage after hitting Warrior/Magex3, would you still be able to use the Mage spells if you take the Mage class away?

This is a repeat of question 4, so see the answer to question 4.
Avatar courtesy of: Lucky/Isilindil : http://belariath.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136186#p136186
Team member of: Dev, SI, Quest, Ops
Manager of: Sorcerous Sanctuary (Anaya), Unigo (Headmistress - Keani), Lodge of Strength (Head Priestess - Robyn)
Assistant manager of: Thallis (Lady of the Azure Isle - Naomh), Sutara's house (Majordomo - North), Arena (Records Keeper - Kateri)
Naomh
Predominate
Predominate

Postby The Mercenary Abby on Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:27 am

Thank you for answering the questions! I do have one more though: can a Warrior-Mage still learn the spells a mage could? For example:
1. The character was a Magex3 before changing it to Warrior-Magex1.
2. When they were Magex3, they -could- learn specific spells (like Mirrior Image) but the character did not learn it at the time.
3. Can a Warrior-Mage instead learn that spell, even though they are no longer Magex3?
"The best thing in life is finding someone who knows all of your flaws, mistakes, and weaknesses and still thinks you're completely amazing."
The Mercenary Abby
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Adonai on Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:31 am

2. They have to of learned it i believe while they were a mage otherwise missed out (i believe)
3. Same as 2.
Let the warriors clamor after gods of blood and thunder; love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides, and life and death alike follow in its wake.
Adonai
Expert
Expert

Postby Akaton on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:57 am

Its like this.
Heres example spells.

Quick Foot:
Level required: 15
Class required: Warrior-Mage
Casting method: ranmagatk
Defending method: ranmagdef
Description: Warrior Mage X2:

And

Mirror Image:
Level required: 10
Class required: Mage
Casting method: ranmagatk
Defending method: other
Description: Mage X3:

Warrior x2 and Mage x2 does not equal Warrior Mage x2. On the same aspect Warrior Mage x3 does not equal Mage x3. To check on this is easy in des. Do a !stats charname to get this....
i.e. (Desdaemona) Character 'Mysiq Vlia' (level 36 Warrior/Warrior-Magex5) stats: Str 73 Int 73 Agi 73 Res 83 Stam 50 Life 37
This tells you the classes you are. And can check that against the spell you want. If you dont see what is listed in the spell. You cant get it.

Basically advancing from Mage and Warrior to Warrior Mage upgrade the Warrior class. So you dont lose your acess to spells.
Akaton
Expert
Expert

Postby Naomh on Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:49 am

The Mercenary Abby wrote:Thank you for answering the questions! I do have one more though: can a Warrior-Mage still learn the spells a mage could? For example:
1. The character was a Magex3 before changing it to Warrior-Magex1.
2. When they were Magex3, they -could- learn specific spells (like Mirrior Image) but the character did not learn it at the time.
3. Can a Warrior-Mage instead learn that spell, even though they are no longer Magex3?

You need to have Mage x3 -at the time of spell acquisition- to acquire it. Des does not record how you got there, just what you have now.

So essentially, no, a WarMage can not get magex3 spells due to no longer meeting the requirements. Being a warrior/WarMage instead of a warrior/magex3
Avatar courtesy of: Lucky/Isilindil : http://belariath.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136186#p136186
Manager of: Sorcerous Sanctuary (Anaya), Unigo (Headmistress - Keani), Lodge of Strength (Head Priestess - Robyn)
Assistant manager of: Thallis (Lady of the Azure Isle - Naomh), Sutara's house (Majordomo - North), Arena (Records Keeper - Kateri)
Naomh
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Farvel on Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:54 pm

But what if you upgrade Warrior instead of Mage? So you would be Warrior-Mage / Mage x3?
Farvel
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Naomh on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:05 pm

Then you have spell access as a mage x3, and should you level-up to WarMage / Mage x4, you will have spell access as a WarMage x1 and Mage x4, just like any other dual-class combo
Naomh
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Farvel on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:47 pm

Naomh wrote:Then you have spell access as a mage x3, and should you level-up to WarMage / Mage x4, you will have spell access as a WarMage x1 and Mage x4, just like any other dual-class combo

Which seemed like a good idea, until I remembered that by keeping mage as a secondary class you will be limited to A-type armor. So the options are basically:

- Upgrade the Warrior class, limiting you to C-type weapons and A-type armor, but allowing you to keep upgrading Mage and get access to Arcana spells up to Mage x5.

- Upgrade the Mage class, giving you acess to D-type weapons and C-type armor, but preventing you from getting any Arcana spells that require an advanced Mage class, other than upgrading the ones you already know.

Seems like a fair trade-off.
Farvel
Predominate
Predominate

Return to Races, Classes and Skills