The Tayva Din: The Original Children of The Lady

Questions and suggestions for additions or changes to these topics

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

The Tayva Din: The Original Children of The Lady

Postby CallieO on Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:05 am

The Tayva Din (Original Children of The Lady)
Born to The Lady and Trejani, her third husband

[Updated 10/28/20]

THE COUPLE THEMSELVES

The Lady, Mother of All Vulpines (golden-furred, ten-tailed goddess)
The Lady (called "shuka triesta" in Vulpani, but Her true name is not spoken to outsiders) is the Mother of All Vulpines, who fashioned a form for Herself based on that of the nonsapient fox species. After two failures at creating a suitable husband for Herself, She ultimately created Trejani as a baby, giving care of him to a catperson couple She was close to, and upon his coming of age, The Lady met Trejani and they fell in love. Through Trejani, The Lady gave birth to the original fourteen vulpine children, called the Tayva Din. Every vulpine in Belariath is related to one of them, and thus, to The Lady Herself.

Trejani, the Divine Husband, Master of Fate (white-furred, nine-tailed mortal vulpine)
Trejani is known by vulpines as being "Yi Vinchin nu Zalo", "The Master of Fate". He does the little things behind the scenes to ensure that people meet each other, or turn the tide of a battle, or any one of a thousand slight things that can alter the course of history. He's a seer, able to see into the future and see how one event leads into the next.

THE LADY'S FIRST TWO HUSBANDS

Qileya, the First Husband, the Forerunner (red-furred, nine-tailed male ice mage demigod)
Qileya was The Lady's First Husband, whom She created to be just like Her in most every way except gender and the number of tails he had. Their marriage didn't last long, because it lacked the give-and-take necessary for a truly thriving relationship. With a heavy heart, The Lady sent Qileya out into the world without lying with him to conceive children. It's long been a mystery to mainstream triestan theologians as to what happened to Qileya.

Najaka, the Second Husband, the Abomination (orange-furred, nine-tailed male fire mage demigod)

Basic Facts About the Tayva Din

Unlike The Lady, the Tayva Din were mortal vulpines, and they all eventually died after a long life. Like The Lady and Trejani, they have the ability to appear in the world whenever they want to (this is called manifesting), though most choose to spend their time in the Celestial Realm, guiding their descendants' souls after death.

FIRST CLUTCH

1. Marachao, the Tayva Din of Cooking (brown-furred female shaman/hierophant; born with two tails; ended up with eight tails) FEAST DAY: March 18
Marachao, first-born of The Lady, is revered by the Forest Tribe as the world's first vulpine hierophant, and is also praised by vulpine culinary experts the world over as vulpinity's first master chef. She innovated the use of the yatava herb, and was the originator of jinjona, min'taba, giojoni, and the fox lust drink. She trained all her children as master chefs, and together they shared their talents with the rest of vulpinity. She's known as "Master of Chefs" and "Sister of the Forest".

2. Napur, the Tayva Din of Wind and Exploration (white-furred male air mage; born with one tail) FEAST DAY: April 13
Napur was the first vulpine to study the Path of the Wind, and is thus revered by the Wind Tribe and its offshoots. A very flighty individual, Napur covered more ground in his lifetime than any of the other Tayva Din. He was the first vulpine to ever set foot on the Southern Continent.

3. Maltava, the Tayva Din of Art (red-furred female artisan; born with one tail) FEAST DAY: May 9
Maltava was the most creatively gifted of the Tayva Din, constructing elegant tapestries, and sculptures made of wood and stone. Some of them still exist today, mostly in vulpine tribal elders' meeting places. Maltava's original stone statue of The Lady, depicted seated with her arms positioned as if to nuture a child, stands in the temple of the Forest Tribe village of Yi Kalu. She also sculpted the 50-foot-tall, five-ton Rock of Wisdom for her brother Verlosi, which today stands in the middle of Verlosi'ka.

4. Xevious the Conqueror, the Tayva Din of War (gold-furred male warlord; born with one tail; died with eight tails) FEAST DAY: June 4
Of all his siblings, Xevious the Conqueror carved out the most territory for himself and his chosen band of people; he was a very cunning warrior who established the first true vulpine nation-state, which he called Xevious'ka. Today, Xevious'ka is shared by the Forest and Celestial Tribes. Xevious created the concept of melzo, the sacred guardian. Xevious's third-born son, Hey'arta, created the vulpine gladitorial sport winzama and its governing body, the Winzama Championship Organization, which still exists today. He served as its first commissioner.

5. Verlosi, the Tayva Din of Water (red-furred male mage; born with one tail; died with eight tails) FEAST DAY: June 30
Verlosi spent most of his mortal life living on the coasts of the various continents; he is thus revered by the Water Tribe, and by their offshoot, the Verlosi Tribe, which named itself after him. He was the first person ever to practice the art of surfing. Verlosi sired many full-blooded and half-blooded vulpines by many different mothers. Towards the end of his life, he met a 22-year-old vulpine healer named Hinjabo, and he ended his promiscuous ways forever, never again looking at another woman with lust in his heart. Through Hinjabo, Verlosi sired his last two children-- identical twin girls named Eriana and Florinia (the Verlosi Sisters). They were born with four tails each, which was a first in vulpine history. Verlosi died shortly after his daughters were born, but the Verlosi Sisters came to be renowned for their beauty and wisdom. Their story is told here: http://belariath.com/legends/callie/eriana.html
Akinza, the first vulpine water mage, is descended from Verlosi. The Verlosi and Lingorian Tribes also share Verlosi as a common ancestor. Verlosi has been known to occasionally save people from drowning who are in trouble because of a heroic act.

6. Laymeesha, the Trickster of the Tayva Din (golden-furred female seductress; born with one tail; died with nine tails) FEAST DAY: July 26
The Trickster of the Tayva Din, Laymeesha amassed quite a stable of male and female admirers while on earth, and there were those who even worshiped her. Laymeesha loved to foment chaos, often challenging her suitors to fight each other for her affections, which were always fleeting at best. After her death, the egotistical Laymeesha accepted worship from some vulpines who saw her gold fur and nine tails while she was manifesting on earth, and mistook her for The Lady, who has ten tails. To this day, she continues to enjoy meddling in the affairs of mortals.

7. Riyajin, the Tayva Din of Music (female entertainer; ended up with nine tails) FEAST DAY: August 21
Riyajin was a legendary songstress who wrote well over 500 songs in her lifetime, mostly folk songs that glorify the vulpine race and the clever nonsapient foxes that inspired them. One of her notable works that's still sung today is "The Fox Went Out On a Chilly Night".

SECOND CLUTCH

8. Maskata, the Tayva Din of the Jungle, Plants, and Brewing (gray-furred male Mist Raider; ended up with nine tails) FEAST DAY: September 17
A warrior revered by the Bijongo Tribe, which identifies him as their ancestor. He made his way to the jungle regions of the world, where he created his own moneyless society, far away from other sapient people. He was well-known for a strong hatred of slavery. He fell in love with an elven slave and forcibly freed her from a cruel band of slavers. Tayva'stani vulpines who've been enslaved against their will often pray to Maskata for deliverance, and sometimes, if the person's situation is dire enough and their faith strong enough, Maskata will manifest and wreak vengeance on their wicked master, or send one of his messengers to do it for him.

9. Djina (pronounced "JINN-a"), the Tayva Din of Romance and Lust (red-furred female fire mage; born with two tails; ended up with four tails), (Credit to Elandr) FEAST DAY: October 13
A passionate woman who claimed thousands of lovers during her lifetime, Djina was always down for a good time. Whenever she was in the embrace of a lover, she would see her tails become alight in harmless, brightly colored orange flame. The flames would entwine the lovers in a myriad of fiery hues, mirroring their passion for one another. When the passionate night ended, the flames would abate. What Djina truly sought was a flame that would never end, a passion that would burn brightly forevermore. Sometimes, she found a man or a woman who was so special to her that they would inherit her light for the rest of their lives, and share that same power.

10. Tel'buk, the Tayva Din of Transformation, Hearth, and Home (orange-and-white-furred male artisan and priest; born with two tails; died with eight tails) (Credit to Wade) FEAST DAY: November 8
A serene and introspective person who wore eyeglasses, he founded the city of Tel'buk, and built the Golden Bell of Tel'buk, which has Vulpani writing on all eight sides of it-- but the writing is only visible to vulpines who've earned a certain number of tails. A single-tailed vulpine, for example, can see only one set of writing, while an eight-tailed vulpine can see all eight, and so on. The city of Tel'buk was lost 30,000 years ago in an earthquake, at a cost of more than 120,000 lives. The Golden Bell of Tel'buk and the Coffin of Ja'lu Kilinia are essential to the Vulpine Transformation Ceremony, which changes other races into vulpines. It can only be done at The Lady's discretion, with the assistance of a Musha Villa, and never involuntarily.

11. Oontaro, Sweet Brother of Mercy, the Tayva Din of Healing and the Lost (brown-furred male healer; born with zero tails; died with three tails) FEAST DAY: December 4
The only Tayva Din born with no tails, he was considered a freak and an outcast by most of his siblings. However, he is known for his overwhelming compassion for people, and was the only one of his siblings to master the healing arts. He is especially revered by tribeless vulpines, by soulless vulpines, and by people who otherwise feel they don't fit in. He's even revered by the Run'ya Najaka, who are hostile to The Lady (though Oontaro would no doubt be horrified to know that). Oontaro ultimately earned three tails. Colloquially, he is known as "The Sweet Brother of Mercy" ["Yi Una Tizha nu Ope"] by the vulpine people.

12. Mulrani, the Tayva Din of Fertility (orange-furred, dual-gendered shaman; born with three tails; died with seven tails) FEAST DAY: December 30
Mulrani is the dual-gendered Tayva Din of Fertility. S/he frequently changes form from male to female, and has fully functioning reproductive systems in both forms. Throughout history, vulpine couples having trouble conceiving have come to Mulrani for help. The male has sex with Mulrani's female form, his seed mixes with Mulrani's divine essence, and then Mulrani changes to male form and has sex with the female in the couple. Mulrani only offers this service in one of hir temples, and there's one on every continent. There is a longstanding agreement among the vulpine tribes that Mulrani's Temple is neutral ground and vulpines wishing to conceive must be allowed free access to it. On the continent that the Ilifrian Empire is home to, Mulrani's Temple is in the Celestial Tribe city of Moxley.

13. Dakeeni, the Tayva Din of the Islands (red-furred male ranger, born with two tails) FEAST DAY: January 25
After Dakeeni's Soul-Joining Ritual, he traveled westward through the continent and eventually sailed to the island archipelagos. He lived on more than 50 different islands throughout his lifetime, and sired the Dakeeni Tribe. Dakeeni was a master sailor and fisherman, and a noble leader and peacemaker who was instrumental in ending three wars that had raged across the islands for many years.

14. Palzta, the Weather Witch of the Tayva Din (yellow-furred female mage; born with one tail; died with eight tails) FEAST DAY: February 20
Nicknamed "The Weather Witch", in life Palzta used her abilities to form many new lakes and rivers, around which new towns and cities were built up all over the world. But she couldn't always control her powers, and that problem sometimes caused natural disasters such as severe thunderstorms, hurricanes, and tornadoes. Palzta is the only person her sister Laymeesha ever loved, and the two of them sometimes got into mischief together. It's been said that Laymeesha was the carrot, and Palzta was the stick.
"If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe."
--Dr. Beverly Crusher

Player of Callie Volopa, Viaa, Auric Lightwing, Brian Perano, Erin Tarcata and Aimee Sarasiné

CallieO
Predominate
Predominate

Re: The Tayva Din: The Original Children of The Lady

Postby Wadeywade on Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:26 pm

I TOTALLY forgot Tel’buk was an artisan. I even forget WHY I did that, I had a reason which now is lost to history (unless CLie comes across it in her logs some day).
Mulrani needs work too, I think we (everyone working on some part of this) should get together and maybe hash some ideas to flesh the few things that still need it, but otherwise it looks very promising. :)
Question, though, I believe you told me this Callie, but it was only two clutches, correct?
"There are no strings on me." Leonard Snart
-
“it gladdens me to know Odin prepares for a feast, soon I will be drinking ale from curved horns! I will not enter Odins Hall with fear, I shall wait for my sons to join me.. and when they do, I shall bask in their tales of triumph! the Aesir shall welcome me. my death comes without apology! I welcome the Valkeries, to SUMMON ME HOME!”-Ragnar Lodbrok
Wadeywade
Expert
Expert

Postby CallieO on Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:38 am

Just now saw this, Wade.

Yes, it's only two clutches.

I found a story I was working on about Mulrani, but it's still in its very early conceptual stage, if you'll excuse the pun.
"If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe."
--Dr. Beverly Crusher

Player of Callie Volopa, Viaa, Auric Lightwing, Brian Perano, Erin Tarcata and Aimee Sarasiné

CallieO
Predominate
Predominate

Postby CallieO on Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:14 pm

Tel'buk and especially Mulrani have been updated, and everyone has been given a title. "Tayva Din of" or "the [blank] of the Tayva Din".
--Dr. Beverly Crusher

CallieO
Predominate
Predominate

Postby CallieO on Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:56 am

Djina has been heavily expanded, thanks to help from Elandr. Full credit Djina goes to Elandr, except for her name, which came from Kitani.

I also added the dates of each vulpine's Feast Day, which are celebrated primarily by those of the minority tayva'stan sect of triestan.
--Dr. Beverly Crusher

CallieO
Predominate
Predominate

Return to Races, Classes and Skills