Advanced Class -- Swashbuckler

Questions and suggestions for additions or changes to these topics

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Advanced Class -- Swashbuckler

Postby Kable Syranos on Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:19 pm

Dexterous, agile, and lethal, Swashbucklers represent the pinnacle of finesse and technique in armed combat. They wield their weapons with unparalleled skill, devoting their training to perfecting their use. There are many kinds of Swashbucklers, but they tend to be aggressive and self-confident, rarely shying away from danger or a fight. Quite the opposite, swashbucklers thrive on the thrill of victory in battle, and often seek out ways to test the skills they have developed.

Qualifying Classes: Warrior, Ranger, Thief
Type: Advanced Physical
Spell Spheres: Common, Racial
Armor: A, B
Weapons: A, B, C, D
Class Bonus Stats: STR 5, AGI 8, LFE 5

Mindset: Often described as snarky, smarmy, and sarcastic, self-confidence bordering on arrogance is the hallmark of many a Swashbuckler, though they have the experience and the skill to back it up. A swashbuckler might think it nothing to laugh in the face of death one moment and hoist a mug of ale in the next. Seen as carefree and wandering spirits, swashbucklers know that someone, somewhere has a use for their skills in combat, and they aren't afraid to use them for benefit of money or fame. Meanwhile, power is something they traditionally eschew as frivolous or unnecessary to enjoy the fruits of a life spent alternating between fighting battles and celebrating victory.

Concept: Swashbucklers are dexterous fighters who focus on martial proficiency with various weapons, excelling at things such as dual wielding and gaining the upper hand in battle through clever use of space and positioning. They tend to wear either light or no armor, in order to allow for maximum flexibility and speed in combat. In society, Swashbucklers represent the mouthy mercenary, the arrogant duelist, or the warrior obsessed with perfecting their skill and finesse not only with weapons, but with peak athleticism.

Advantage:
Dual-Wielding: A swashbuckler has mastered the art of fighting with two weapons, and gains +1 to Physical ATK and Physical DEF while dual-wielding, for each level of Swashbuckler taken.
Take the Initiative: Swashbucklers rarely hold back, and are quick to strike, gaining a bonus equal to the number of levels they have taken in Swashbuckler to their initiative roll.

Disadvantage:
Susceptibility to Magic: With so much training and focus on martial proficiency, Swashbucklers are weak against magic, taking a -1 penalty to all magical defense rolls for each level of Swashbuckler taken.

The Thrill of the Challenge: Swashbucklers are confident in their skills and eager to meet a challenge; no Swashbuckler may decline a challenge to a duel, unless they have already fought the challenger within one months period, or unless they are sufficiently injured.
Kable Syranos
Novice
Novice

Re: Advanced Class -- Swashbuckler

Postby L`aquera on Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:12 pm

Ha ha! This is pretty neat
Don't breath, don't think.. for I am the shadow that will forever over take you..
L`aquera
High Council
High Council

Postby CallieO on Sun May 10, 2020 10:58 pm

I like this too. If accepted, Swashbuckler would be the only class capable of fighting effectively with two weapons, yes?
"If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe."
--Dr. Beverly Crusher

Player of Callie Volopa, Viaa, Auric Lightwing, Brian Perano, Erin Tarcata and Aimee Sarasiné

CallieO
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Dante_Ambrogio on Sun May 10, 2020 11:10 pm

I approve of this, now wish that it was implemented and I could prepare Victus to go this route. My only suggestion would be to say that Bard is also a qualifying class for Swashbuckler because lets be honest here.... this is totally what a bard would do. They are snarky and smarmy enough that the Thrill of the Challenge disadvantage fits them SOOOOOOOOOO perfectly.
Loves bite is eternal, welcome or otherwise. Once bitten it twines with your very soul and can never be forgotten

Player of: Dante Ambrogio, Victus Ambrogio|Naut|, Kat`ryn Quel`dalre, Elizabeth Graesyn, Vex Windstrider, Valithren Caradoc, Daelmaron Fyresong, Morgran Fireforge, Feindhara Ingolfr, Gashan Nakajima,
Dante_Ambrogio
Expert
Expert

Postby Joshua_Jericho on Sun May 10, 2020 11:12 pm

Callie - I think if I understand it, anyone can 'dual-wield', it's just you can only attack with one weapon per turn either way - so you could have two one-handed swords (longswords?) and pick which to attack with - there's just no gain dice-wise.
Since I can't figure out how to change display name...player of Catiline, Umber and Saphamira! Often around on IRC GMT evenings and weekends.
Joshua_Jericho
Expert
Expert

Postby DiasEesha on Wed May 13, 2020 7:18 pm

The idea itself is pretty good and adding in a class that actually gives a benefit to what is basically just flavor for play [dual weilding] its a nice little quirk. its also well balanced between getting that bonus for it and taking an equivalent penalty for dealing with magic. Though Im not entirely sold on the D class weapons I think the weapons class should better reflect that these fighters favor going two weapon.
DiasEesha
Expert
Expert

Postby Dante_Ambrogio on Thu May 14, 2020 12:39 am

DiasEesha wrote:The idea itself is pretty good and adding in a class that actually gives a benefit to what is basically just flavor for play [dual weilding] its a nice little quirk. its also well balanced between getting that bonus for it and taking an equivalent penalty for dealing with magic. Though Im not entirely sold on the D class weapons I think the weapons class should better reflect that these fighters favor going two weapon.

IF this gets approved and Bard gets added to the allowed classes as I suggested Victus is 100% going to dual wield Scimitars or a pair of Khopesh. Love this idea.
Loves bite is eternal, welcome or otherwise. Once bitten it twines with your very soul and can never be forgotten

Player of: Dante Ambrogio, Victus Ambrogio|Naut|, Kat`ryn Quel`dalre, Elizabeth Graesyn, Vex Windstrider, Valithren Caradoc, Daelmaron Fyresong, Morgran Fireforge, Feindhara Ingolfr, Gashan Nakajima,
Dante_Ambrogio
Expert
Expert

Postby Gabriel Storm-Dancer on Thu May 14, 2020 12:14 pm

This is a great concept, too. At least in my book. Definitely a potential class for Gabriel's consideration. Especially since he already 'dual-wields' as far as it fits within the current rules. This would only solidify his character more completely. Do please approve.
Gabriel Storm-Dancer
Expert
Expert

Postby Dante_Ambrogio on Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:01 pm

going to bump this one back upwards because I still think this would be a super cool class to see come to fruition.

Dante_Ambrogio
Expert
Expert

Return to Races, Classes and Skills