Ranked Skill Suggestions for Harbours and Sailors

Questions and suggestions for additions or changes to these topics

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Ranked Skill Suggestions for Harbours and Sailors

Postby Dante_Ambrogio on Sun May 10, 2020 10:15 pm

So, I was looking through the ranked skills trying to find some things to match one of my characters backstories but to my disappointment I couldn't find anything and as such I came up with a couple of ideas. These are rough and I am more than welcome to receive input (hence why I am putting it out here) but here is my current suggestion for some new Ranked Skills for both Harbour Workers and actual Shipboard Sailors.

Harbour Worker Pre-Reqs: Reading & Writing
Novice - Someone freshly hired to work the docks, capable of lugging crates of goods around in the aid of loading and unloading cargo from vessels. They are also responsible for performing simple maintenance on cargo nets and rigging.
Apprentice - Has been entrusted with a bit more responsibility. Is capable of checking manifests of goods going onto or coming off of vessels and ensuring that the warehouse stocks are maintained
Journeyman - The mid tier of the harbour workers this is where a worker will begin to be trusted as a pilot to navigate ships into and out of port.
Expert - The heads of the different teams at the docks, responsible for overseeing the loading and seeing to the needs of each vessel that comes to their particular slip.
Master - Having attained mastery in the ways of the Harbour these individuals are typically employed as Harbour Masters and are responsible for the day to day operations of the entire harbour, from ordering supplies to arranging schedules.

Sailor Pre-Reqs: Rope Use
Novice - Newly brought on board a ship, responsible and capable of little more than swabbing the decks and observing to learn
Apprentice - Having spent time with a mentor on board a sailing vessel you have begun to learn the basics of rigging, navigation, and other shipboard duties
Journeyman - You are a competent sailor, capable of working as part of a crew and eliciting few if any complaints about your performance.
Expert - You are nearly a master sailor, capable of acting in a command capacity over portions of a shipboard crew in all aspects be it combat or calm seas.
Master - You have achieved such mastery in the art of the sailor that you may well be looking to become a captain of your own vessel, or perhaps you are content to serve as right hand man to another. In either respect none can doubt your competency or dare to treat your skills with anything but respect.
Loves bite is eternal, welcome or otherwise. Once bitten it twines with your very soul and can never be forgotten

Player of: Dante Ambrogio, Victus Ambrogio|Naut|, Kat`ryn Quel`dalre, Elizabeth Graesyn, Vex Windstrider, Valithren Caradoc, Daelmaron Fyresong, Morgran Fireforge, Feindhara Ingolfr, Gashan Nakajima,
Dante_Ambrogio
Expert
Expert

Re: Ranked Skill Suggestions for Harbours and Sailors

Postby Sarmani on Mon May 11, 2020 3:55 am

I like sailor, but harbour worker could probably be unranked.
Sarmani Moretti, Researcher, mage, student of Water, mad scientist, vulpine/human hybrid, cool rational foxgirl
Other Characters: Reshen, Wisecracking Troll Warrior; Yarnat, Sadistic Fluffy Catmoriel Bard; Isolte, Ruby Draksen Ice-Queen Knight; Vaspire, Opportunistic Torian Thief; Welkyr, Cheery Wolven Mancatcher; Mizri, Enthusiastic Gladiatrix Moriel-orc
Sarmani
Adept
Adept

Postby Dante_Ambrogio on Mon May 11, 2020 11:35 am

Sarmani wrote:I like sailor, but harbour worker could probably be unranked.

mmm, but soooo many docks now. How else are dockworkers going to have skills to get paid with hehe. Truly though I am glad to hear that you like the work ^_^
Loves bite is eternal, welcome or otherwise. Once bitten it twines with your very soul and can never be forgotten

Player of: Dante Ambrogio, Victus Ambrogio|Naut|, Kat`ryn Quel`dalre, Elizabeth Graesyn, Vex Windstrider, Valithren Caradoc, Daelmaron Fyresong, Morgran Fireforge, Feindhara Ingolfr, Gashan Nakajima,
Dante_Ambrogio
Expert
Expert

Postby CallieO on Mon May 11, 2020 10:38 pm

This has been very well thought out, and I'd love to see them both get approved.
"If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe."
--Dr. Beverly Crusher

Player of Callie Volopa, Viaa, Auric Lightwing, Brian Perano, Erin Tarcata and Aimee Sarasiné

CallieO
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Naomi on Mon May 11, 2020 11:15 pm

i agree that harbour worker could be an unranked skill if not approved as a ranked skill. both are very well thought out. i like them both
Because I am one with the taker of life, and I love pain and suffering, misery and death as it loves me. These are things I am not willing to give up, if death is release then let it never find me so I may live long and suffer much.
Naomi
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Xanetia on Mon May 11, 2020 11:21 pm

Its a good idea and at least adds to the system for things that are already there, the thoughts are needed.
Xanetia
Expert
Expert

Postby Amara on Mon May 11, 2020 11:31 pm

Interesting.

Will push them into Dev and see what happens. :D

Good job!
Avatar courtesy of: Lucky/Isilindil: viewtopic.php?p=136186#p136186

"If my heart could beat, it'd beat for you." Valley of Silence

"And yet you did not chose me blindly. Certain expectations were aroused.
Let's not be coy; you were hoping I would satisfy all the desires you're
too shy to name, or at least show you a good time." The Crimson Petal and the White
Amara
Predominate
Predominate

Postby StormWind on Mon May 11, 2020 11:47 pm

i love the work that has been put into these. i would recommend reading and writing as a pre-req to harbor/dock worker. and knots as a pre-req to sailor... but those are the only suggestions i have for improvement.
Skills pertaining to Jobs

Owner and Manager of The Works:

Metalsmith X5
MiithrilsmithX5
Leathersmithx5
Wood working x5
Valicitesmith x5
Carpentry x5
Jewler x5
Appraisal
Administration

Stewart of the port of Virelith
Scribe x5
Cartography x5
Mephos Riding x5
Soldiering x5
Navigation x5
Boating
Ediquett
Heraldry x3

Master Body Artist

Body Arts x5
Artist x5
Jewler x5
StWi
StormWind
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Dante_Ambrogio on Tue May 12, 2020 4:34 am

StormWind wrote:i love the work that has been put into these. i would recommend reading and writing as a pre-req to harbor/dock worker. and knots as a pre-req to sailor... but those are the only suggestions i have for improvement.

huh, I actually sorta like this prereq idea because it makes alot of sense.

Dante_Ambrogio
Expert
Expert

Postby DiasEesha on Wed May 13, 2020 7:32 pm

well written well built and certainly in a section that would support the growing expanse of the empire and our channel, I am normally of course quite supportive of anything that helps to flesh out the world and how it operates and supports the potential for new rp experiences and opportunities. So yeah stamp of approval, though Id heavily suggest adding in stormwinds suggestions.
DiasEesha
Expert
Expert

Postby Dante_Ambrogio on Thu May 14, 2020 12:35 am

DiasEesha wrote:well written well built and certainly in a section that would support the growing expanse of the empire and our channel, I am normally of course quite supportive of anything that helps to flesh out the world and how it operates and supports the potential for new rp experiences and opportunities. So yeah stamp of approval, though Id heavily suggest adding in stormwinds suggestions.

knew that I was forgetting something the other day :lol:

Dante_Ambrogio
Expert
Expert

Postby Dante_Ambrogio on Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:43 pm

Bumping this one as well as it had high interest and was originally posted nearly two years ago and I am back from the LoA I had to take

Dante_Ambrogio
Expert
Expert

Postby miyuka on Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:50 am

We're trying not to add so much to the already extensive list of skills. Also if we do add these I don't think the pre-req's sould be required in order to pick 'em up. we do have quite a few harbors at the moment and I could see the use of such a skill, certainly. Sailor, not so much, I think we'll be fine without it.
miyuka

Return to Races, Classes and Skills