Skill Suggestion: Scrimshaw

Questions and suggestions for additions or changes to these topics

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Skill Suggestion: Scrimshaw

Postby Dante_Ambrogio on Sun May 10, 2020 10:53 pm

I was saddened when I saw a lack of the Scrimshaw ranked skill. I think this would be a fantastic addition toward artisans and people who like to craft things. It is the fine and delicate art of carving bone, typically using fish bones. Sometimes a scrimshaw carver will put inlays of metal into their work and as such I have allowed for similar things with this skill suggestion and incorporated a requirement to match it.

Scrimshaw(Any Class)
Novice - able to carve any type of bone into charms, trinkets, and jewelry; may use a copper inlay in designs (with appropriate Metal Smithing or Jeweler skill)
Apprentice - able to carve more intricate designs into bone charms, trinkets, and jewelry; may use a Silver inlay (with appropriate Metal Smithing or Jeweler skill)
Journeyman - have begun to master the pressure and art and can use lighter weight and more delicate bones to craft charms, trinkets, and jewelry; may use a Gold inlay (with appropriate Metal Smithing or Jeweler skill)
Expert - can use the bones of large fish for crafting and carving into charms, trinkets, and jewelry; can also teach others the basics of Scrimshaw and use a Platinum Inlay (With appropriate Metal Smithing or Jeweler skill)
Master - Can use any type of bone for Scrimshaw, large, small, delicate or sturdy. Can use a Mithril inlay in your works (with appropriate Mithril Smithing or Jeweler skill) and craft Masterwork pieces
Loves bite is eternal, welcome or otherwise. Once bitten it twines with your very soul and can never be forgotten

Player of: Dante Ambrogio, Victus Ambrogio|Naut|, Kat`ryn Quel`dalre, Elizabeth Graesyn, Vex Windstrider, Valithren Caradoc, Daelmaron Fyresong, Morgran Fireforge, Feindhara Ingolfr, Gashan Nakajima,
Dante_Ambrogio
Expert
Expert

Re: Skill Suggestion: Scrimshaw

Postby DiasEesha on Wed May 13, 2020 7:19 pm

Considering that Dias has had scrimshaw work done on some custom pieces I can do nothing but support this idea as being a full on skill.
DiasEesha
Expert
Expert

Postby Dante_Ambrogio on Thu May 14, 2020 12:31 am

DiasEesha wrote:Considering that Dias has had scrimshaw work done on some custom pieces I can do nothing but support this idea as being a full on skill.

love if that is the case, when (I hope) this becomes a full on skill Victus or Dante Ambrogio are going to be handy for you. I want them both to do Scrimshaw because it fits their characters and their backstories that I'm working on.
Loves bite is eternal, welcome or otherwise. Once bitten it twines with your very soul and can never be forgotten

Player of: Dante Ambrogio, Victus Ambrogio|Naut|, Kat`ryn Quel`dalre, Elizabeth Graesyn, Vex Windstrider, Valithren Caradoc, Daelmaron Fyresong, Morgran Fireforge, Feindhara Ingolfr, Gashan Nakajima,
Dante_Ambrogio
Expert
Expert

Postby Dante_Ambrogio on Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:58 pm

Bumping this back to the surface as it was one that people seemed to show a lot of interest in and I am returning from a LOA

Dante_Ambrogio
Expert
Expert

Postby Dante_Ambrogio on Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:10 pm

Bumping this again, posted it originally 2 years ago almost and it kinda seems like its gone nowhere. This would be a great skill to have added to the repertoire for Artisan characters.

Dante_Ambrogio
Expert
Expert

Postby miyuka on Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:02 pm

I'd rather this just be something rolled into a different crafting skill, or be unranked than to have it's own entry.
miyuka

Postby Dante_Ambrogio on Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:40 am

miyuka wrote:I'd rather this just be something rolled into a different crafting skill, or be unranked than to have it's own entry.

It doesn't make sense to be rolled into another skill and Scrimshaw is a craft that takes more skill than woodworking or blacksmithing; I can speak on this out of personal experience because I have done and still do all three of them through the Society for Creative Anachronism. The amount of special handling and manual dexterity required for Scrimshaw is extremely difficult skill to master.

Dante_Ambrogio
Expert
Expert

Postby miyuka on Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:36 am

I don't doubt that, but if we have a skill for every single little thing the list is going to start to get a little on the side of ridiculous. While I personally am against adding more and more and more stuff no matter how niche I think, it is just my own opinion. No hard limit was ever set as far as I'm aware as far as how many skills to add after all.
miyuka

Postby Ehlanna on Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:31 pm

Don't hate me - I haven't checked but is there a 'carving' skill we could include scrimshaw in?
Ehlanna
High Council
High Council

Postby Dante_Ambrogio on Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:50 am

Ehlanna wrote:Don't hate me - I haven't checked but is there a 'carving' skill we could include scrimshaw in?

No hatred; I just consulted the ranked and unranked skill lists. The closest thing to carving is is sculpting but that in and of itself is nothing like Scrimshaw.
There is a Carpentry skill but Carpentry is the construction of things like furniture, wagons, and housing parts and is extremely clumsy compared to the fine dexterity required of the extremely brittle consistency of bone.

Now, we could create a Carving Ranked skill and include Scrimshaw under it; that is an acceptable idea.

miyuka wrote:I don't doubt that, but if we have a skill for every single little thing the list is going to start to get a little on the side of ridiculous. While I personally am against adding more and more and more stuff no matter how niche I think, it is just my own opinion. No hard limit was ever set as far as I'm aware as far as how many skills to add after all.

I am sorry to have to ask this, but why is someone that is against adding things to the game even a part of the development team? Let alone the lead of it? That is extremely counterintuitive and counterproductive and frankly it is just going to let the game continue to stagnate rather than progress and evolve with the players and it basically makes the forum board for players to contribute to the game completely and utterly useless.

Dante_Ambrogio
Expert
Expert

Postby miyuka on Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:34 am

Because we can't just add every single thing to the game? There's tons of things I want to add. Just because I'm against adding this one thing doesn't mean I'm against adding everything. Also just because I'm against adding something doesn't mean that the team or HC agrees. I am one person on a team of people. Even when I'm like hrmm I dunno about this one. It's why when I see something I try to make sure either dev or HC sees it, regardless of my thoughts on the matter. My thoughts here are not the end all be all. It's just my thoughts. So please don't assume I'm just putting my foot down and stamping out every idea that gets put here. Many ideas do get used or at the very least looked at by the entire team.

Most if not all of the things we have as part of the systems in the game currently are, in fact, things that came from players either here on the forums, through MB PM, or via e-mails to others. Now all of that being said, I did drop the ball when it came to some stuff on here specially with skills and for that I apologize...but don't ever thing your inputs here are utterly useless. They are not and are very helpful, whether they get used or not.
miyuka

Return to Races, Classes and Skills