Advanced Class - Berserker

Questions and suggestions for additions or changes to these topics

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Advanced Class - Berserker

Postby Weissteufel on Mon May 11, 2020 5:44 am

Hey there everyone. I came up with this advanced class idea for warrior type characters, though it is very much a first draft. I would love to hear thoughts and feedback!

Overview

Fury. Frenzy. Violence. The Berserker is wrath made manifest into flesh, bone, and blood. Upon the battlefield, none can withstand the intensity of the Berserker’s frenzy, driving their weapons to overpower and overcome even the strongest of defenses. Tapping into the primal instinct within them, the Berserker fights with every ounce of the passions in their heart to take that which they desire, to defend what is theirs, or to simply sate their need for violence. While the berserker may reason and plan as well as any other warrior before an assault, these fearsome fighters are a testament to the universal truth of war: plans never survive first contact with the enemy. Strength of arms prevails, and their furious might makes right.

Character Creation
Allowable Races: Barbarian, Centaur, Dark Elf, Drak Sen (Mineral), Drak Sen (Metallic), Dwarf, Goblin, the Tribe, Minotaur, Ogre, Troll, Wolven
Qualifying Classes: Warrior, Knight, Ranger
Type of Class: Advanced Physical
Spell Spheres Allowed: Common, Racial
Armor: A B C
Weapons: A B C D
Class Stats: +7 STR, +3 AGI, +1 RES, +2 STA, +5 LFE

Mindset:
The Berserker is not a mindless animal, nor a cruel sadist, though there are certainly enough of them with these traits. Above all, the Berserker is passionate, which can manifest in a multitude of ways. Placid contemplation and half-measures never do for these warriors; they are brash, spirited, and show a force of personality that is hard to ignore. A Berserker has learned, whether through introspection, trauma, or some other experience, how to harness their passion and wrath and turn it into a weapon on the battlefield. Unlike other warriors, they do not train in heavy armor to defend themselves; they clad themselves instead in the strength of their convictions. They are not as refined as the Warlord, nor do they gain their prowess through devotion as the Paladin does. The Berserker relies upon their inner strength to whip themselves into a bloodthirsty battle trance, preferring to overpower their opponents.

Advantages:

Thunderous Fury:
The signature of the Berserker, this fearsome ability calls upon the passion within, stirring the Berserker into a wrathful battle trance. While in this state, the Berserker does not hold back, throwing everything they have into their attacks against their opponent.

Mechanics[/i]: When using Thunderous Fury, the Berserker's damage rolls receive a +1 bonus for eachevel of Berserker taken

Lionhearted:
A Berserker is a spirited individual, both on and off the battlefield. Being in tune with their emotions, their passions, and desires in such an intimate manner aids them when those convictions might be challenged or manipulated by others.

Disadvantages:

Overzealous
The Berserker is many things, but cautious is generally not one of them. Once they are enraged and in the throes of their passionate wrath, they exert themselves beyond the normal efforts of other fighters.

Mechanics: When the Berserker uses the Thunderous Fury ability, their actions in combat require twice the amount of stamina required.

Undying Fervor
The wellspring of emotions that the Berserker harnesses to fuel their feats of titanic wrath is a dangerous pool to draw from. Bardic epics and historical tales are rife with the deeds of Berserkers that drank too deeply from their passion, becoming unable to control themselves even after their enemies are slain or driven before them. In these dangerous moments, unless someone finds a way to bring the Berserker back from this state, friends can easily look like foes.
Weissteufel
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Advanced Class - Berserker

Postby Hokima Tesh-Rimon on Mon May 11, 2020 12:12 pm

I personally love Berserkers, but we had this class 10-13 years ago and it was removed. So, the word was you're still allowed to play a Berserker, but it's more of an RP effect than an actual class.
Hokima Tesh-Rimon
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Weissteufel on Mon May 11, 2020 5:50 pm

Hokima Tesh-Rimon wrote:I personally love Berserkers, but we had this class 10-13 years ago and it was removed. So, the word was you're still allowed to play a Berserker, but it's more of an RP effect than an actual class.

I think the class could be a good and well needed addition to the Advanced Physical classes for those interested in continuing with a warrior character concept. The current spread only really offers the Warlord as a continuation of the advanced warrior theme, which is not a concept that fits every character. If everyone is a leader, who follows?

I understand that it was a class removed from the game roughly a decade ago, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be worth a second look!
Weissteufel
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Xanetia on Mon May 11, 2020 7:44 pm

I tend to agree, there are fare more advanced magical classes then there are Physical. If done correctly it would be a good fit. I like the way that its written, I hope more is done with it.
Xanetia
Expert
Expert

Postby Hokima Tesh-Rimon on Mon May 11, 2020 11:30 pm

Like I said, I do like the class. I just wonder about the prospects for it getting approved. As it would open up the talks about bringing back Assassins, Skalds, Dark Paladins and other classes that were purposely removed. I would class change Hokima to a Berserker in a heartbeat, but I remember all the fuss when the various classes got removed in the first place.
Hokima Tesh-Rimon
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Naomh on Tue May 12, 2020 2:59 am

While I understand the idea, there is a lot here that is extremely similar, and offers little difference from, the warrior.

Warriors get a clophyatk bonus with a clophydef penalty. Additionally, we try to keep it where the classes have 1 mechanical (Dis)advantage and 1 RP (dis)advantage. Both listed above are strictly mechancial advantage/disadvantages.
Avatar courtesy of: Lucky/Isilindil : http://belariath.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136186#p136186
Team member of: Dev, SI, Quest, Ops
Manager of: Sorcerous Sanctuary (Anaya), Unigo (Headmistress - Keani), Lodge of Strength (Head Priestess - Robyn)
Assistant manager of: Thallis (Lady of the Azure Isle - Naomh), Sutara's house (Majordomo - North), Arena (Records Keeper - Kateri)
Naomh
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Weissteufel on Tue May 12, 2020 3:18 am

Those are great points by everyone, and I will revise accordingly, as far as the Warrior similarity in the advantages. I was essentially using the Warlord write up as a template, and all of the advantages and disadvantages listed have a mechanical aspect. So I misunderstood in that respect.
Weissteufel
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Weissteufel on Tue May 12, 2020 3:47 am

Apologies for posting twice in a row; I have made the following adjustments to this class submission.

• Thunderous Fury's mechanic has been revised.
  • Lionhearted no longer has a hard mechanic; it is now an RP only advantage.
  • Overzealous' mechanic has been revised.
  • Undying Fervor no longer has a hard mechanic; it is now an RP only disadvantage.
Weissteufel
Initiate
Initiate

Postby DiasEesha on Wed May 13, 2020 7:29 pm

The core of this is certainly valid and expanding what I personally consider [even with works in progress] the very light depth of the physical classes is quite useful. However, any class should be able to show how it "stands alone" from the other classes and currently this idea does not really stand alone, as Naomh said its pretty close to warrior as is with the mechanics. Id suggest a different way to go when it comes to mechanics with these fighters. Especially since they where more well known for continuing to fight through their own wounds with little regard to the damage inflicted on them instead of the other way around. Yes bersekers where brutal fighters but not because of overpowering force. Some of the most legendary stories about them are not particularly because of a path of destruction but instead a stand against such. [The one that comes to mind the most is one berserkers stand on a bridge in which they held the line by themselves for plenty long enough for their king to escape. If I remember correctly they killed nigh 30 soldiers before they finally fell because the enemy managed to eventually sneak under the bridge and killed them from below.
DiasEesha
Expert
Expert

Postby Weissteufel on Thu May 14, 2020 9:43 am

I don't necessarily disagree with the assessment of the berserker archetype that you've presented. From a historical perspective, you make valid points.

My inspiration and theme with the class as I presented it above, is more in the style and Tradition of the classic barbarian class from Dungeons & Dragons and other roleplaying fantasy games.
Weissteufel
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Hokima Tesh-Rimon on Thu May 14, 2020 12:40 pm

What Dias had mentioned was actually the reason that Berserker’s were nix’d. Dev at the time had felt that berserkers could be played under the current class archetype. Still, I would love to see the class brought back even if I think it unlikely.

With that in mind, I came up with a different mechanic and changed the name of the Undying Fervor.

The Undying:
The signature of the Berserker, this fearsome ability calls upon the passion within, stirring the Berserker into a wrathful battle trance. While in this state, the Berserker can shrug off killing blows.

Mechanics: If a blow would typically kill the Berserker, they may funnel 10% of the damage to stamina for each time the class is taken. To use this ability, the Berserker must have been in a battle trance for at least 1 round before the killing blow lands.

Lionhearted:
A Berserker is a spirited individual, both on and off the battlefield. Being in tune with their emotions, their passions, and desires in such an intimate manner aids them when those convictions might be challenged or manipulated by others.

Disadvantages:

Overzealous
The Berserker is many things, but cautious is generally not one of them. Once they are enraged and in the throes of their passionate wrath, they exert themselves beyond the normal efforts of other fighters.

Mechanics: When the Berserker uses the Undying ability, their actions in combat require twice the amount of stamina required.

Reckless Fervor
The wellspring of emotions that the Berserker harnesses to fuel their feats of titanic wrath is a dangerous pool to draw from. Bardic epics and historical tales are rife with the deeds of Berserkers that drank too deeply from their passion, becoming unable to control themselves even after their enemies are slain or driven before them. In these dangerous moments, unless someone finds a way to bring the Berserker back from this state, friends can easily look like foes.
Hokima Tesh-Rimon
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Infernis on Thu May 14, 2020 1:18 pm

Shit, I've been around to see the first group of player Beserkers, saw the Dev make the call to remove them and then seen all the subsequent calls for them to be returned...until everyone sorta forgot that they existed at all. Until now, when the wheel turns enough for new people to suggest them as a whole new class idea again.

It's kinda funny.

That said, I'm gonna throw my two cents in because fuck it.

Why not just have Berserk be listed as an optional ability for Warriors?

I'd play as an automatic instinctive thing where they Berserk when they lose at least half their HP, at which point, as listed above, a percentage of their taken damage comes from Stamina instead and they ICly lose their fucking minds for the rest of the fight scene.

Just my two cents. Whatever.
Infernis
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Weissteufel on Thu May 14, 2020 11:03 pm

I think that your suggestion about a Warrior ability also has some merit as well, going with the theme of the character concept.
Weissteufel
Initiate
Initiate

Postby miyuka on Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:09 pm

I appreciate all the input but as a class, I'm against it being a thing. I'm of the idea that it can just be played as a character concept. As an ability of some kind I can see that being more feasible.
miyuka

Return to Races, Classes and Skills