Change of Bowyer/Fletcher from Unranked to Ranked - suggest

Questions and suggestions for additions or changes to these topics

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Change of Bowyer/Fletcher from Unranked to Ranked - suggest

Postby Dante_Ambrogio on Wed May 13, 2020 6:22 am

Soooo, bit of a logic thing here but Bowyer/Fletcher should be a ranked skill that you can use towards jobs, especially at someplace like MMR. The logic here being that MMR sells bows, crossbows, and arrows and they would logically need someone on staff or that they partner with through a freelance artisan to supply these things. As such this being a ranked skill not only makes logical sense (to support jobs at the MMR or other similar shops) but it just seems like something that was an oversight.

Bowyer/Fletcher(Any Class)
Novice - can find small and straight sticks that could reasonably be turned into simple arrows; can locate naturally curved branches that will be easily fashionable into rudimentary and simple bows
Apprentice - knowledge of the methods used to cure wood for use in arrows, bolts, and bows; can create bowstaves from common woods (if also a Metal Smith can craft own arrow/bolt heads and braces up through steel with appropriate concurrent skill level)
Journeyman - Can use properly cured wood to create every type of bow, including basic crossbows; can create bowstaves from uncomon woods
Expert - Can use mithril in the production of bows and crossbows; can create bowstaves from exotic woods and materials; can also teach others the basics of the craft. (if also a Mithril smith can craft own arrow/bolt heads and braces with appropriate concurrent skill level)
Master- Can create masterwork bows and crossbows, using any materials available. (if a Valecite smith may craft own arrow/bolt heads and braces with appropriate concurrent skill level)
Loves bite is eternal, welcome or otherwise. Once bitten it twines with your very soul and can never be forgotten

Player of: Dante Ambrogio, Victus Ambrogio|Naut|, Kat`ryn Quel`dalre, Elizabeth Graesyn, Vex Windstrider, Valithren Caradoc, Daelmaron Fyresong, Morgran Fireforge, Feindhara Ingolfr, Gashan Nakajima,
Dante_Ambrogio
Expert
Expert

Re: Change of Bowyer/Fletcher from Unranked to Ranked - sugg

Postby DiasEesha on Wed May 13, 2020 7:31 pm

as written this skill would require supporting skills for use of metals.
DiasEesha
Expert
Expert

Postby Dante_Ambrogio on Thu May 14, 2020 12:32 am

DiasEesha wrote:as written this skill would require supporting skills for use of metals.

I considered writing it in but reasoned that much like it would have actually been done in the time period a Bowyer/Fletcher would likely purchase their arrowheads/bands of metal for use from others who can create them. Or in the case of a Bowyer/Fletcher that works someplace like the MMR the shop would have a stock of them to be used to create arrows/crossbows and the like for shop stocks to be sold or for shop related orders.
Loves bite is eternal, welcome or otherwise. Once bitten it twines with your very soul and can never be forgotten

Player of: Dante Ambrogio, Victus Ambrogio|Naut|, Kat`ryn Quel`dalre, Elizabeth Graesyn, Vex Windstrider, Valithren Caradoc, Daelmaron Fyresong, Morgran Fireforge, Feindhara Ingolfr, Gashan Nakajima,
Dante_Ambrogio
Expert
Expert

Postby DiasEesha on Fri May 15, 2020 3:08 pm

My actual concern with the supporting skill is the production of bows/crossbows with the metals. The arrows themselves in my opinion are whatever but to craft a full blow weapon using the metals That part would necessitate some skill with using and forming them.
DiasEesha
Expert
Expert

Postby Dante_Ambrogio on Fri May 15, 2020 6:22 pm

DiasEesha wrote:My actual concern with the supporting skill is the production of bows/crossbows with the metals. The arrows themselves in my opinion are whatever but to craft a full blow weapon using the metals That part would necessitate some skill with using and forming them.

yeah, that's why I added in the mention of braces. Figured that it would be safe enough to leave it at mentioning braces which would be the supportive structure and everything else could be assumed.

Dante_Ambrogio
Expert
Expert

Postby Dante_Ambrogio on Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:59 pm

Bumping this back to the surface.

Dante_Ambrogio
Expert
Expert

Postby Dante_Ambrogio on Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:41 pm

Bumping this again as original post was almost two years ago and there has been little movement though there was interest.

Dante_Ambrogio
Expert
Expert

Postby miyuka on Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:59 am

Honestly I don't think we need this skill. While I get where you're coming from it's just a whole set of skills an MMR worker would have to get on top of the metal smithing and mithril smithing. If anything I'd rather just change the skills to be weapon smithing and armour smithing and be done with it as a whole. Trying not to bog down the skill system with an abundance of skills and I feel this one is really niche in what it would provide. Bowyer/fletcher is fine where it's at for now.
miyuka

Return to Races, Classes and Skills