Ranked Skill: Exotic Beast Training

Questions and suggestions for additions or changes to these topics

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Ranked Skill: Exotic Beast Training

Postby Gabriel Storm-Dancer on Thu May 14, 2020 12:31 pm

This will likely need some polishing, but it's something I've been rolling around for a while now. With all of the exotic beasts (mephos, camarie, jhore, windwalkers, earthshapers, even the lesser varieties that can only be used as 'pets'), it only makes sense that there is a relevant skill for training them. Just because you own one, doesn't mean that you know how to tame it, care for it, etc. So, here we go:

Novice: You've seen an exotic beast before and know they exist. Maybe read a little bit about them.
Apprentice: You are familiar enough with exoitc beasts to begin understanding the basic temperament, behavior, and reactions. You can effectively start training them slowly at this point.
Journeyman: This isn't your first rodeo. You have successfully trained at least one exotic beast. Whether for yourself or for someone else. These creatures understand that you are not a threat to them, and will respond to you more than someone with no experience.
Expert: You can work with a variety of creatures. Your experience has given enough knowledge and empathy to be recognized as a paragon in your field.
Master: You are the king of beasts. They will recognize this, and will respond to you. Though this does not interfere with the bonds between Mephos and companion, but you are able give customized training to nearly any creature that's intelligent enough to understand.

Like I said, this might need some polishing, just throwing the idea out there. Also, this could pertain to one exotic beast in particular. I.E. ...Exotic Beast Training - Jhore. Then you can take it for Camarie. Or Mephos, etc. Or it could pertain to all of them in general.

Fire away with feedback.
Gabriel Storm-Dancer
Expert
Expert

Re: Ranked Skill: Exotic Beast Training

Postby The Mercenary Abby on Thu May 14, 2020 9:22 pm

Oh I like this one. Usually, I'm told that:

a) Having skills in Horse-Riding will translate well into riding Jhores.
b) Winged-Riding is for Mephos.
c) That because the exotic animals have imprinted themselves on your characters, they will be easily handled and therefore would mostly not require trained skills. But that means if your character tries to, say, ride a wild jhore, you'll no way be able to tame it.
"The best thing in life is finding someone who knows all of your flaws, mistakes, and weaknesses and still thinks you're completely amazing."
The Mercenary Abby
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Gabriel Storm-Dancer on Fri May 15, 2020 11:16 am

Thanks for the heads up Abby. Though to me, riding and training are different. I know it's a detailed line, but...not every creature imprints itself as far as I know. Earthshapers I don't believe do (will have to verify with Archaon), not sure about Jhore since Gabriel doesn't own one, and Camarie I don't think do, either.

Aside from that, it can be used for work purposes. For example, there's an Imperial position for Jhore trainer. Could be used as a skill to get you some more coin if someone decides to take that job. Also Dethsiris has a 'Overseer of the Bestiary' or essential 'beastmaster'. This could help there, too.

Though ideally, yes. It's more used for niche purposes, payroll skill, or as a skill taken to quell the wild forms of said beasts. Could have multiple applications, but I figured why not, right?
Gabriel Storm-Dancer
Expert
Expert

Postby Elise`whitepaw on Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:18 am

this is what i had been thinking for things it would aid people like Bel`adin who works for house Dethsiris as a caretaker and trainer for there Deth terriers

tho one should have animal handling as a skill before taking this ranked skill if it becomes one
Elise`whitepaw, isis`starfeather , Jinx`Quinn , Alyssa` Shadowfall, Adel ,Naut`kyn , Nessa`{rei-k}, Neva`frostsong,Jareth Gleamscale
Elise`whitepaw
Initiate
Initiate

Return to Races, Classes and Skills