This Fur and no Further

Questions and suggestions for additions or changes to these topics

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

This Fur and no Further

Postby Stormbringer on Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:45 pm

It appears there is still a lot of confusion about racial appearances and the traditional furries. So I'm going to try again and I'm going to delete the other thread because the conversation got twisted around until the message was lost. Despite what you get told by the disaffected minority in OOC, the admin *do* listen to the players and they *do* bend so far as possible when there is a general consensus of what would benefit the game. That's 'the game' mind you, not 'I wanna ... because I want my character to be able to ... '.

One such time when we have responded to the wishes of players is over those furry races - primarily cat, wolven and vulpine. So please ignore any rumors and misinformation to the contrary and read this:

1. The races normally associated with the term furry are allowed to have reasonable amounts of fur on their bodies

2. No character is forced to have more fur than they want. Anime examples of all races except centaur exist and show how such races can be played extremely humanoid.

3. If a character has fur, then it will be in natural colors.

4. If a catperson elects to have just the ears and tail, as portrayed in many animes, then their hair coloring can be anything they like but NOT tartan, spotted, striped, or rainbow. Look like a prat and we'll treat you like one.

5. Sithians have scales giving way to human skin about the level of the waist. Drak's have patches of scales as defined on the web site. Torians can have a fine down covering except the wings which are feathered. Chirots can have normal skin or elect to have a rather leathery but still fairly human quality of skin in the appropriate coloring. Centaurs are horse bodied to the waist and human above that. Minos can have shaggy hair covering them.

6. Facial features of the furry races have elements of a muzzle but not a fully developed one. Teeth can be appropriate to the race.

7. No race has paws. They have hands. Fingernails can be reminiscent of claws, but they are still fingernails on fingers.

8. Centaurs can play having hooves. Other races have feet.

9. No race apart from centaur walks on all fours naturally

10. No race is evolved from an animal ancestor. They are all descended from magical experiments performed on humans except Chirot and Drak who have their own legends concerning creation. As such, they have absolutely no genetic impulse to chase balls of yarn, eat mice, lap from bowls, chase their tails, lick their balls or display other animalistic tendencies. Cat people mews and purrs, wolven growls and sexual aggressiveness - such things are fine but they are NOT languages and they have NO relation to any acts of bestiality.

11. This post supercedes any information on the web site or elsewhere on this board. The site will be updated where necessary when the new site is published.

12. If characters are caught in overly animalistic behavior or suggested bestiality, then penalties from exp deduction to bans will be applied with no further warnings

13. If players abuse the admin having given them the ability to play races closer to furry than was the norm here, then that will be taken away again.

14. While this post may contain errors relating to the finer details of some races, the intention is to make clear that there is some potential for furriness in characters but there is no anthro play allowed. Therefore some common sense should be applied before assuming any race has changed significantly. Clarifications will be made if you have a question, and asking such is a lot more positive than spouting a load of misinformation in OOC.
--------------
Charm’d magic casements, opening on the foam
Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn

(John Keats)
Check your baggage at the door and bring some magic through your
window onto the world of Belariath
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Postby Vlos`Drathir on Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:11 pm

Thank you, this explains fully, and it is easy for even the dull witted like me to understand.
Life is a game, have fun and play hard, or go home.
Vlos`Drathir
Novice
Novice

Postby Chrystine Moonspell on Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:16 pm

OK, the cat people don't feel the urge to chase yarn balls and such.... but can they? Please? Pretty please? They look so cute doing that....
Oh stripped down to my naked core
The darkest corners of my mind are yours
That's where you live
That's where you breathe
Chrystine Moonspell
Initiate
Initiate

Postby nayasha on Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:27 pm

I have a few questions that are meant in the best of spirits and not to be invalidating but for several years I've never heard of Chirot having leathery skin. Is this an effort to make them more batlike then before? Also when you stated that the animal races derived from humans and artifical means does that include Chirot? That might mean that it is mere belief and religion that says Sheara created Chirot after herself. (Any information would be great)
"Semper Fidelus Tyrannosaurus!" - 21
"It's 'Sic Semper Tyrannis' you said 'Always faithful terrible lizard" - Dr. Killinger
nayasha
Novice
Novice

Postby L`aquera on Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:33 pm

Chirot have dark and even black hair, iris and pupils are black as well. They have pale white skin, and pointed shell like bat ears covered in coarse fur, usually brown or grey, then there's of course the leathery wings, ranging from tanned colors to complete black, the rest of their body is surprisingly similar to humans though, save for their teeth, which are sharp for rending flesh.

I think theres your answer. Taken from the original write up. I don't see any leathery skin in that write up.

As well, I'll point out that many races write ups refer to them as 'human' like. Such as Torians are 'like' humans except for their wings. No pointy ears, no tails, no fur. So forth, and so on. Hope that answered your question.
Don't breath, don't think.. for I am the shadow that will forever over take you..
L`aquera
High Council
High Council

Postby nayasha on Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:52 pm

Thanks L. But it still leaves me kind of confused as to why SB said "Leathery Skin". Will that judgement super-impose the website also? Because if it does I've been playing Nayasha wrong for several years. ;_;
"It's 'Sic Semper Tyrannis' you said 'Always faithful terrible lizard" - Dr. Killinger
nayasha
Novice
Novice

Postby Sakkara on Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:55 pm

4. If a catperson elects to have just the ears and tail, as portrayed in many animes, then their hair coloring can be anything they like but NOT tartan, spotted, striped, or rainbow. Look like a prat and we'll treat you like one.

Erm....

Her long hair that reaches to her well trained and rounded buttocks is a true and fiery red that is also seen on her long prehensile tail that is spotted with purple dots

Thats been in sarai's description for near enough seven years now...and now its illegal?
Sakkara
Initiate
Initiate

Postby L`aquera on Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:39 pm

It shouldn't confuse you dear but rather clerify in case someone was playing it that way. Sar, this is on a discussion of to keep them furry or not to keep them furry. So don't worry so.
Don't breath, don't think.. for I am the shadow that will forever over take you..
L`aquera
High Council
High Council

Postby Sakkara on Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:41 pm

What?...Now Im even more confused...

From what I understand, right here, right now, sarai is an illegal character.
Sakkara
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Vysanth on Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:33 pm

O.O This comes as a surprise :)

Thank you Stormbringer! It is much appreciated! (at least by those who can grasp the meaning of the post, I hope)
Vysanth
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Archaon on Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:45 pm

Characters that have had all these traits and physical illusions have been noted to be exempt, especially ones that have been around for 3-4+ years.. or they're probably going to be grandfathered in. The Hair color is a minor inconvenience that can be easily changed with some backspacing and minimal typing.
Archaon
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Oak The Fisherman on Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:56 am

Sorry, but it has to be said...

SB, your puns are a crime against sentience... >_<
Oak The Fisherman
Novice
Novice

Postby Stormbringer on Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:07 am

Cats can chase balls providing it's plain they are doing it with a human understanding of playfulness, not through some feline ancestry. And for all I care, SW can lick his balls, if he can reach them. But NOT with the implication that it is something bred into him from a non-existent genertic impulse.

The comment about animal races deriving from human is intended to answer the anthro play in cat/wolf etc races primarily. It doesn't affect chirot, nor drak sen either for that matter.

'Leathery' was intended to give chirot an option to be more bat-like if they wanted to. Just as with torians, I don't see why they should be placed under a restriction when the more vociferous players of the cat and wolven races are gaining the ability to have more animalistic qualities to their descriptions. It's not something imposed. Chirots can play human skin. So too can torians. And for that matter so too can cats and wolven. But if we're giving the potential to one, we give it to all.

I'll edit my post to make those things more clear.

As for Sarai, if you want a purple-spotted tail, I should care less. But don't expect me to take you seriously in future. You seem to feel an obligation to find something negative in everything we do these last few months, but if you read the post it specifically said HAIR, which implied the stuff that grows on your HEAD. Any growth below the neck has been consistently referred to as FUR when used in relation to the cat race.
--------------
Charm’d magic casements, opening on the foam
Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn

(John Keats)
Check your baggage at the door and bring some magic through your
window onto the world of Belariath
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Postby nayasha on Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:17 am

That clears things up nicely, thank you very much. I was worried for a second that I would need to modify Naya or even worse, reset her.
nayasha
Novice
Novice

Postby Goldentiger on Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:22 pm

So am I going to have to change Irontail's, and Emerald's discription?
Irontail, Rita Highlander Hitar, Rhain Stormcloud, Iriam, Canthia, Mayuki, Karatha, Rosa
Goldentiger
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to Races, Classes and Skills