Player Input to Development

Questions and suggestions for additions or changes to these topics

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Re: Player Input to Development

Postby Amara on Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:18 pm

Nice input thus far, guys!

I just wanted to toss out a few reminders:

1) This is a player driven game.

2) Freelance crafting is useful for those who actually enjoy doing such things.

I recall many years ago that Sutara spent some good time crafting a Mithril collar for a beloved conc.
There's a system in place for doing such.
a) You have to buy all the material.
b) Role play crafting/working on it.
c) See an OP to have crafted item sold to you at 0mhl.
d) Destroy all items used to make said crafted item.

Here's an example of how Sutara did it. viewtopic.php?f=266&t=19236

3) Using any of a player's skills during a quest such as being picked to lead the questers during the journey is up to the GM.
A player can surely use their skills during that RP if they feel like typing it out. If the GM says that it's nightfall and questers are camping it out til daybreak etc. Someone who knows how to build a fire, can build the fire. Someone who can hunt, can find food.

4) House stuff, wars, intrigue, and other fun bits are, again, player driven.

Here is a comprehensive guide on how to go about freelancing with your skills. viewtopic.php?f=216&t=9407
Avatar courtesy of: Lucky/Isilindil: viewtopic.php?p=136186#p136186

"If my heart could beat, it'd beat for you." Valley of Silence

"And yet you did not chose me blindly. Certain expectations were aroused.
Let's not be coy; you were hoping I would satisfy all the desires you're
too shy to name, or at least show you a good time." The Crimson Petal and the White
Amara
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Hokima Tesh-Rimon on Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:32 am

I get what you're saying on the freelance item, but even if your reference material. She bought a mithril collar before she made her own item. At that point, you might as well just let the GS do it as it'll save time and money since you already had to go there in the first place.

It just boils down to skills equaling ways to make money currently, and beyond that add little.

As for House wars and intrigue being player driven. I don't really see it as that way. Sure, as a player we can try to start that type of play, but without by in from the house leadership there is little point. Besides, at most you might get a few people pissed off and that's it. I've tried to stir up trouble with various things, and it's never really amounted to much. At the end of the day, the houses are at peace with each other and I don't really see the various leadership trying to start issues with each other.
Hokima Tesh-Rimon
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Sanjin Koukyu on Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:32 am

As someone who's new to Belariath, but not necessarily new to roleplay, world development and the like, I'd like to add my input as far as skills (Ranked/Unranked) are concerned.

As of right now, the Empire has run everything, runs everything, and will forever more (unless something changes) run it. So they have access to all of the raw materials to do all sorts of crafting and the like. So why would the different houses need to be at war?

If the houses controlled land that had access to specific 'things'? Though, I can't find any information (yet) on whether they do or not. Rare materials, like mithril for example. If one house wanted access or control over that material (for the Empire), they'd have to socially and politically maneuver themselves into place, via heraldry, forging, etc.

But I do agree on the purpose of the Unranked Skills. Many of them are fluff and look like they'd be taken well after any ranked skills are taken, just to make use of the points associated with them.

As far as the ranked skills -- what if being Master rank opened up the ability to 'quest' for rare ingredients or the capacity to make mIoPs/IoPs/Relics/Legendaries. Not necessarily to own them, but to help write the story of those items for whoever should find/earn them?

Example: A Master Crafter of all the different Instruments is sought after by <insert high powered NPC/Noble/etc> to craft a grand harp/piano/xylophone. It cannot be made of any old material, but thunderstruck redwood from the deepest parts of the Glimmerdene Forest, soaked in the bile of a hydra found steeped in the elemental marshes of such and such, and <something obscure, like the stardust found only in a Dreamer's mindscape>. Then the player would have to gather those capable, getting more involved, and you'd have this lengthy quest of epic proportions to make the harp/piano/xylophone.

Or, what if ranked skills benefited certain classes or spell-types. Someone who Master'd the various skills needed for Body Arts might be better at weaving Illusion-type sphere spells, or someone who's a master Enchanter/Scribe could be better at Arcana spells. Perhaps not necessarily adding flat damage to the their spells, but say... being uniquely able to enchant reverse gravity on their own, personal boots. It'd effectively make it a mIoP at that point, so it'd follow the same rules.

Just a few ideas. Brainstorming! I'd love to see skills get more use/benefit, especially if it's only for roleplay rather than adding power or money.
Sanjin Koukyu
Expert
Expert

Postby miyuka on Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:02 pm

As far as the ranked skills -- what if being Master rank opened up the ability to 'quest' for rare ingredients or the capacity to make mIoPs/IoPs/Relics/Legendaries. Not necessarily to own them, but to help write the story of those items for whoever should find/earn them?

This can already be done, if you want to help someone with their Special item and they ask you to help, they can do that. The process is a member of the team working with the potential owner to make the item, but a third party that helps is fine and has been done plenty of times before.

Or, what if ranked skills benefited certain classes or spell-types. Someone who Master'd the various skills needed for Body Arts might be better at weaving Illusion-type sphere spells, or someone who's a master Enchanter/Scribe could be better at Arcana spells. Perhaps not necessarily adding flat damage to the their spells, but say... being uniquely able to enchant reverse gravity on their own, personal boots. It'd effectively make it a mIoP at that point, so it'd follow the same rules.

This would bypass the SI process which I would vehemently disagree with.
miyuka

Postby Sanjin Koukyu on Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:56 pm

Oh, i'm sorry. I wasn't trying to imply anything that would bypass any development process. Everything would have to go through the SI team if it's an actual special item (like the psuedo-mIoP I mentioned as an example).
Sanjin Koukyu
Expert
Expert

Postby miyuka on Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:18 pm

I know you're not trying to imply anything, but since this is the input to dev section and I am the head of dev/SI team, I like to sometimes explain why things are the way they are, just to try and alleviate any confusion.
miyuka

Postby Sanjin Koukyu on Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:41 pm

Thank you! I appreciate you doing that for me and thank you for all your hard work. I love reading all this stuff. :D
Sanjin Koukyu
Expert
Expert

Postby Dante_Ambrogio on Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:32 pm

Sanjin Koukyu wrote:As someone who's new to Belariath, but not necessarily new to roleplay, world development and the like, I'd like to add my input as far as skills (Ranked/Unranked) are concerned.

As of right now, the Empire has run everything, runs everything, and will forever more (unless something changes) run it. So they have access to all of the raw materials to do all sorts of crafting and the like. So why would the different houses need to be at war?

If the houses controlled land that had access to specific 'things'? Though, I can't find any information (yet) on whether they do or not. Rare materials, like mithril for example. If one house wanted access or control over that material (for the Empire), they'd have to socially and politically maneuver themselves into place, via heraldry, forging, etc.

But I do agree on the purpose of the Unranked Skills. Many of them are fluff and look like they'd be taken well after any ranked skills are taken, just to make use of the points associated with them.

Example: A Master Crafter of all the different Instruments is sought after by <insert high powered NPC/Noble/etc> to craft a grand harp/piano/xylophone. It cannot be made of any old material, but thunderstruck redwood from the deepest parts of the Glimmerdene Forest, soaked in the bile of a hydra found steeped in the elemental marshes of such and such, and <something obscure, like the stardust found only in a Dreamer's mindscape>. Then the player would have to gather those capable, getting more involved, and you'd have this lengthy quest of epic proportions to make the harp/piano/xylophone.

Just a few ideas. Brainstorming! I'd love to see skills get more use/benefit, especially if it's only for roleplay rather than adding power or money.

I can say on this note however that after looking through the list of unranked skills there are a few in there that really should be ranked skills, such as Bowyer/Fletcher. I say this though because there is a playable class of Artisan and there are businesses such as the MMR that sell things such as Bows/Crossbows and those weapons would traditionally have been crafted by a Bowyer/Fletcher as would their Ammunition have been (better arrow and bolt tips would have been crafted by smiths and then provided to the fletcher for the ammunition of higher qualities) and as I have the opportunities I may well do some write ups for such things due to this observation
Loves bite is eternal, welcome or otherwise. Once bitten it twines with your very soul and can never be forgotten

Player of: Dante Ambrogio, Victus Ambrogio|Naut|, Kat`ryn Quel`dalre, Elizabeth Graesyn, Vex Windstrider, Valithren Caradoc, Daelmaron Fyresong, Morgran Fireforge, Feindhara Ingolfr, Gashan Nakajima,
Dante_Ambrogio
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to Races, Classes and Skills