Suggestion: Expanded Rituals of Gaea

Questions and suggestions relating to deities and temples

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Suggestion: Expanded Rituals of Gaea

Postby Faolann on Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:56 am

I would like to suggest expanding the Rituals of Gaea to reflect historical Druidic practices. The Druidic calendar actually had 8 great festivals, spaced evenly throughout the year. The four already outlined in L`aquera's pinned topic under the GoB location forum were the solar festivals, tied to the agricultural cycle of sowing and reaping. I will provide here a brief summary of the four remaining festivals, called the fire festivals, which were more associated with the cycle of livestock, rather than farming. If there is interest in adding these to the calendar for the GoB, I can provide more information.

At Samhuinn, between October 31st and November 2nd, (listed here first because it indicated the Celtic new year) livestock for whom there was insufficient fodder were slaughtered and their meat salted and stored. The days also held great spiritual significance. Celebration of the occasion included practices that have evolved into Halloween.

At Imbolc, on February 1st, the lambs were born (to say nothing of the human babies resulting from the next fire festival).

At Beltane, on May 1st, it was the time of mating (and marrying) and of the passing of the livestock through the two Beltane fires for purification.

Lughnasadh, on August 1st, was the time which marked the link between the agricultural and the livestock cycles - the harvest began and both human food and animal fodder were reaped and stored.
Faolann
Novice
Novice

Return to Religion