Comments by ISA and BA Please!

Questions and suggestions relating to the playing of individual characters rather than the game world

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Comments by ISA and BA Please!

Postby Stormbringer on Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:15 am

Also by anyone else who wants to...

As an alternative to a collar, a slave owner may decide to have a slave carry his mark in the form of an attractive tattoo which takes the appearance of a circlet on her brow. This tattoo can be obtained from the BA and designed according to the wishes of the owner provided a) it emulates a circlet and b) it contains a hollow shield, square, circle or oval of approximately 1" to 1.5" diameter in the center of the forehead. A common appearance for this tattoo might, for example, take the form of a slender mithril band which crosses the brow from the hair line on one side to a similar point on the other side, widening out in the center to a decorated oval shape. But other more ornate designs that achieve the same aim can naturally be negotiated with the Body Arts.

This tattoo follows the normal procedures for body marking and will be capable of carrying enchantments according to the normal rules, *except* within the centerpiece (circle, square, oval etc) which must remain free of ink. The BA will set the price for the tattoo and the SS for any special enchants on the ink.

When the tattoo is done, the owner will take his slave to the ISA for it to be finished off. This can either be done at the time of registration, in which case completing the tattoo replaces the normal collar and leash as part of the 100Mh fee, or it can be done at a later date when an additional fee of 20Mh will be charged.

Completing the tattoo involves having a wizards mark applied to the center, bare, section of the circlet. This can incorporate a colored background of choice, filling the empty area, but it must also include the owner's tag in large enough visible lettering to be easily read.

Should the slave become decollared, the wizards mark will be removed as part of the ISA formalities, leaving a patch of bare skin again. The tattoo, however, will remain along with any enchantments it carries unless following BA procedures for its removal or employing the services of a healer with the appropriate abilities.

If the tattoo remains, then a slave taking a new owner will only need the ISA visit to have the center section marked appropriately.

OOC Note: The ISA mage will be NPC'd by an ISA registrar as a part of their slave registration work. No other mage within the game has the ability to remove the marking.
--------------
Charm’d magic casements, opening on the foam
Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn

(John Keats)
Check your baggage at the door and bring some magic through your
window onto the world of Belariath
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Re: Comments by ISA and BA Please!

Postby Avarwraith on Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:24 am

Sure, the first question that comes to my mind is cost. Will the BA tattooing follow the normal cost for a similar collar? (IE a Tattoo that will carry the equivalent enchantments of a mithril collar would cost at least 100 mehrials?) Generally for a medium tattoo that would cross the brow it would cost 50 mehrials, 75 if it was done with Mithril ink, thus the cost of having it be similar to a 'mithril' collar would end up being a 25 Mehrial fee.

This could be accomplished by having special ink given out for the purpose of collars alone. And charging 50 mehrials for it instead of 25. Or simply upping the cost of the tattoo itself.

Another thing that comes to mind; instead of simply being a circlet, could this tattoo be any facial/neck tattoo? Something that would always be visible? (I would assume anything lower than the neck would fall under being listed in the 'Official Collar Alternatives' section of the ISA as it is now.)

Edit: Another thing that occurs to me, is that not everyone has a Wizard Mark. Would it be required of this to get that spell? Or would the BA be allowed to put the person's initials/mark into the 'oval'?
Avarwraith
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Greywind on Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:31 am

The question I have is; Would it be possible again to have tattoo's enchanted after they had been applied?
I know it is fairly annoying when one has to buy the mithril ink from the BA first, run to the SS, get it enchanted, then run back to the BA and get it actually tattooed into the skin. With another person to drag along, that would get simply painful.
Greywind

Postby Krom on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:42 am

I would disagree for tattoos as collars. Tattoos are easily mimicked, though one could say the same as a collar I rekon. I would see a collar around the throat as a status symbol which cannot be easily hidden as to ones status in TLI society. Too many try to hide collars as it were.
Krom
Expert
Expert

Postby Avarwraith on Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:43 am

You can already replace a traditional metal collar with a tattoo'd collar already, I have seen plenty of people get a band of ink around the necks of their slaves. There isn't any actual change in policy there aside from possibly being able to enchant said inked collars.

What this is adding, according to the original write up there, is a sort of circlet type collar (either in metal or ink) or so I read.

Either collar that one decided to get (circlet or traditional) has an equal ability to be covered up. I don't see that as a legitimate reason to brush this aside. Generally it is an IC rule not to cover said collar up, with IC consequences for doing so. OOCly one cannot cover their collar, as it is in their nick.
Avarwraith
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Stormbringer on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:19 pm

OK, I'll try to deal with these questions:

- The proposal meets the requirements of the alternative collar guidelines already, so it does not imply any changes to the restrictions laid down on marks elsewhere on a slave as collar alternatives. Being on the face it will naturally be visible at all times and will contain the owner's initials. Not being actual jewelry it is not limited to wrists and ankles.

- Unlike a full collar tattoo, it would not completely go round the head, it would go round approximately half of the head, across the forehead in fact. I would imagine the BA would reflect the reduced work in the cost but the price of the tattoo is not part of the slave registration process, it is a private transaction between slave owner and BA. So the BA should decide their price for the work based on the complexity of the design.

It doesn't have to be a mithril circlet tattoo, that was just an example. It could equally appear to be a tattoo of a leather band, or a silver chain with a drop-pendant, or anything else providing it holds the correct space for the mark to be placed in the center of the forehead. The ISA is only concerned with that central 'lozenge' area. The rest of it is a private commission.

- Other facial tattoos are not part of this proposal and the existing guidelines continue to apply. This is a plan for a specific 'collar alternative' which can be added to the web site to give inspiration to those who need ideas, not any change in existing systems.

- The placing of the wizards mark would have to be done at the ISA because it is not strictly a wizards mark at all, that was just a shortcut to achieve the objective. An NPC mage of indeterminate power who can create a suitable marking for a slave on demand cannot be forged or overridden by any PC mage who claims to be able to alter or remove that mark of ownership. If it helps game mechanics then we won't call it a wizards mark at all, we can give it another name.

- Tattoos have always been capable of being enchanted after the event by having a slight change or addition made with the enchanted ink at a later date. The usual method is outlining the existing tattoo. Since the circlet tattoo is a completely standard BA tattoo, there is no reason why the same procedure cannot be used. It is only the blank lozenge carrying the slave owner's mark that cannot later be changed in any way.

- Tattooed collars already exist as has been stated elsewhere. This one, being on the face, would probably be more prominently displayed than a traditional collar as a sign of ownership. It may not have the same implications as a collar around the neck in its psychological effect, I would agree with that. But really this is just a proposal to make something that can already be achieved under the existing rules become more flexible by adding the ability for the ISA to easily remove the name of one slave owner from a tattooed area and replace it with the name of a new slave owner, in the same way as a physical collar can be removed and replaced.
--------------

(John Keats)
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Postby Sakkara on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:20 pm

Just brand em and be done with it, quicker than tattooing, cheaper to.
Sakkara
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Avarwraith on Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:47 am

- Tattoos have always been capable of being enchanted after the event by having a slight change or addition made with the enchanted ink at a later date. The usual method is outlining the existing tattoo. Since the circlet tattoo is a completely standard BA tattoo, there is no reason why the same procedure cannot be used. It is only the blank lozenge carrying the slave owner's mark that cannot later be changed in any way.

Well, there would have to be something written up about the enchanting for it. According to The Enchantment's Page:

Tattoos

Tattoos are allowed the following types of enchantment:

* Stats

*Stat enchantments on tattoos add an additional + (up to 5) to any desired stat. It takes one round to activate this enchantment, unless it is made permanent.

*Note* It is required that the Ink must be enchanted before the tattoo is placed on the character.

Tattoos are generally allowed only Stat enchantments, and it's been common practice to have the enchantment done into the ink beforehand. I have, obviously, no problem with this changing, but it is an issue that needs to be addressed. If we do this, will it be only Collar-Tats that are allowed to have the larger allowance of enchantments?

Also, will these collar enchantments only apply to these types of collars (neck and forehead) or will they be allowed for any that are recognized collar alternatives?

:) I love the idea! I just want to make sure everything is ironed out.
Avarwraith
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Tawny on Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:18 am

Having just now seen this I do have a question myself. How is the ISA to remove a wizard mark? I Understand the rules to wizard mark can make this impossible by most people if the one marking the slave happens to be a high level char. Since by the rules a wizard mark, it must be removed by someone of a higher level than the caster or by Unigo.
Tawny

Postby Avarwraith on Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:07 am

Should the slave become decollared, the wizards mark will be removed as part of the ISA formalities, leaving a patch of bare skin again. The tattoo, however, will remain along with any enchantments it carries unless following BA procedures for its removal or employing the services of a healer with the appropriate abilities.

If the tattoo remains, then a slave taking a new owner will only need the ISA visit to have the center section marked appropriately.

OOC Note: The ISA mage will be NPC'd by an ISA registrar as a part of their slave registration work. No other mage within the game has the ability to remove the marking.

- The placing of the wizards mark would have to be done at the ISA because it is not strictly a wizards mark at all, that was just a shortcut to achieve the objective. An NPC mage of indeterminate power who can create a suitable marking for a slave on demand cannot be forged or overridden by any PC mage who claims to be able to alter or remove that mark of ownership. If it helps game mechanics then we won't call it a wizards mark at all, we can give it another name.

My guess is that the 'Wizard Mark' is going to be provided and removed by an ISA NPC, thus meaning that none but the ISA can put one into place or remove it.
Avarwraith
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Stormbringer on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:13 am

No change to the enchanted ink intended Avar - strictly speaking the enchantment is only on the addition to the original tattoo, not transferring to the entire design. Inking in mising bits of an existing tattoo with enchanted ink, overwriting some bits of the original, adding extra bits, or outlining the original - none of them transfer the properties of the new ink to the old ink but since they merge in with the existing design it's just less cumbersome to refer to the tattoo as being enchanted, rather than saying 'the left paw, tail, eye and three of the yellow stripes of the tiger tattoed on her ass carried a +2 def ;)

Tawny - let's call it a slave owner's mark if it makes it easier to get the head around it? The NPC mage at the ISA is called in by a registrar to place it on the slave and to remove it. No other character can do that.
--------------

(John Keats)
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Postby Tawny on Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:19 pm

Ok that makes sense then. I was guess wondering how it was going to be is all.
Tawny

Postby Stormbringer on Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:11 pm

OK I've taken the comments on board and given it some more thought and I'm proposing to incorporate this as a general ammendment to the non-collar guidelines on slave markings:

OFFICIAL NON-COLLAR ALTERNATIVES (AMMENDED)

As an alternative (or in addition) to a standard collar, the slave may carry the owners mark in the form of a tattoo, brand or jewelry.

TATTOO

The tattoo comprises two parts:

1. A normal tattoo design placed on the slave by the BA and paid for by the slave owner

2. A Slave Mark incorporated within that design showing the owner's initials. This Mark can only be added at the ISA who employ the services of an advanced mage (NPC) to apply the Slave Mark to the slave.

BRAND

The brand comprises two parts:

1. A normal brand placed on the slave by the BA and paid for by the slave owner

2. A Slave Mark incorporated within the brand showing the owner's initials. This Mark can only be added at the ISA who employ the services of an advanced mage (NPC) to apply the Slave Mark to the slave.

JEWELRY

There are limited acceptable jewelry items suitable for the purpose (see below)

1. It is your responsibility to buy the items from the GS. They are not supplied by the ISA as part of your registration fee.

2. The jewelry must be owned before registration and include a blank area suitable for carrying the owner's mark. At the time of registration, the ISA mage will apply the Slave Mark to each item of jewelry and lock that jewelry onto the slave so it cannot be removed. Nor can the Mark be erased or overwritten in any way.

ADVANTAGES

1. Items supplied by the BA or the GS can carry enchantments according to the standard rules. The actual Slave Mark itself does not carry any enchantment except the inability for it to be removed in an unauthorised manner. So if, for example, a tattoo which includes a Slave Mark is made with enchanted ink and later that tattoo is removed, the enchantment does not remain with the Slave Mark alone.

2. While the Slave Mark merges with the brand, jewelry or tattoo it has the advantage that it can only be removed again by returning to the ISA and having the mage erase it as a part of any decollaring formalities. So while certain classes such as advanced healers may be able to remove a normal tattoo or brand, and a jewelry worker could alter a normal engraving, the Slave Mark remains intact unless it is removed by the ISA. This makes it impossible for a runaway slave to completely hide her status.

3. It is relatively easy to have one owner's Mark removed on decollaring while leaving the surrounds (tattoo, brand or jewelry) intact. A new owner can then have their Mark incorporated into the surrounds during registration without any further work needing to be done.

RESTRICTIONS

1. The Slave Mark MUST be in plain view at ALL times. In other words, if your Mark taks the form of a brand on their ass, then that ass must be bared 24/7 or there will be consequences to pay as the slave can be taken into ISA custody for the crime of "Impersonating a Free Person."

2. A tattoo, jewelry or brand design can be as unique as you'd like it to be. However, it must leave a suitable blank space for the Slave Mark to be added. This will normally be between one and two inches in diameter. It can be larger but not smaller.

3. The Slave Mark must include the owner's initials so that it can be easily recognized by others. The Mark may have a background design to match in with the surrounds but not one which obscures the lettering.

4. The only jewelry allowed as an alternative to a collar are wrist/ankle cuffs. Again, the Mark must be able to be seen -clearly- at all times and the cuffs are worn as a pair with the Mark on each.

5. The slave is still required to attach the { } tag to their nick. NO EXCEPTIONS. You are considered "collared" regardless of whether an actual collar is worn. And, as such, your nick must still reflect ownership. Be sure to put into your description that it is NOT a collar that you wear, but a mark, or other symbol of enslavement.
--------------

(John Keats)
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Postby Tawny on Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:26 pm

Read, Logged, and put on my desk top.
Tawny

Postby Stormbringer on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:06 pm

This has been tested with myself Tawny and laerel so I'm placing it in the ISA forum to replace the previous alt-collars and it will also be added to the web site soon.
--------------

(John Keats)
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Return to Characters