Relationships

Questions and suggestions relating to the playing of individual characters rather than the game world

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Re: Relationships

Postby Infernis on Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:10 pm

Personally, I'd say remove the cost entirely and simply offer it as a convenience to the masses.

Of course, I'm also of the opinion that concubines shouldn't use equipment slots, either, but that's just me.

~I~
Infernis
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Myra on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:59 pm

My biggest worry about this new addition is how many people are going to end up being owned by another.. leaving very few free. How many are going to have to choose whom's "Harem" they are going to be involved in and that these concubines are going to be treated as slaves by their "master/lovers" and when stepping out of place perhaps with another not be punished. A lot of rules apparently still need to be set out but I doubt that I will be taking place in this part of play. The connection my characters have with their masters.. and the slaves that my characters own have a connection that I don't want to see disturbed. Its going to cause a lot of havic when one slave would not like to have something between her master's slaves and her master's mate.. now there is a harem to compete with for time. All in all I believe it could come to either a lot of uncollaring and people not wanting to be enslaved anymore but 'kept' because that connection has changed hands.
Myra
Expert
Expert

Postby Myra on Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:21 pm

Its also come to my attention that people voicing their opinion in this area.. in ooc.. are getting put down.. belittled for perhaps not being completely on board with this idea.

We, as players, have to listen to each other.. respect each others opinions or there is little reason to continue with this game. There are some ways that people play master/slave.. why are we ruining what has worked so far? I haven't seen a problem in this except for the rules of being punished for doing something IC that a slave should not. I.. playing a slave.. always know that I could be punished for this but there is never an enforcer to do so. She is NEVER turned in for her behavior. Perhaps instead of pulling another label in.. we need to fix some slave rules and see if it is even needed as so many people are disappointed with the slave rules. To fix this isn't going to happen overnight but it seems redundent to bring in another concept just to complicate the matter.
Myra
Expert
Expert

Postby Infernis on Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:33 pm

Well, within the thread you're posting in, there's a few notes from Stormbringer talking about redefining the public behavior expectations for slaves. In short, it's being done, but in steps, one thing at a time.

As for being 'belittled', it's easy for some people to take offense. In fact, the simple matter of disagreeing with some people is enough for them to get insulted. I'm not overly bothered by the idea of people disagreeing with me. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but if you feel free to speak it, feel free to also accept the reactions you get from others.

~I~
Infernis
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Kerianna on Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:43 pm

Infernis wrote:Personally, I'd say remove the cost entirely and simply offer it as a convenience to the masses.

Of course, I'm also of the opinion that concubines shouldn't use equipment slots, either, but that's just me.

~I~

I'm all for this too. Of course, I often think of things from a low-level perspective - for a low-level character, who doesn't have all sorts of money stashed away, registration is a pretty big expense, and the loss of the monthly base income, not to mention an additional fee on top of that, really hurts.
Kerianna

Postby Stormbringer on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:27 pm

I'm not going to lock this topic but the assumption is that concubine will become available as an option before too long. I'm going to start a new topic for aspects of the concubine rules which need deciding. Slave review will not be considered until concubine is finalised. So just use this topic here if you want to ask or suggest things relating to the wider playing of concubine within the game.

I won't be considering or replying to anything in here relating to the details of bringing concubines into the game.
--------------
Charm’d magic casements, opening on the foam
Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn

(John Keats)
Check your baggage at the door and bring some magic through your
window onto the world of Belariath
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Postby One on Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:42 am

i know that SB is no longer responding to questions in this post and is now realizing the change, but i've been thinking about this thread a lot in the past few days and i just wanted to say:

i have been in a position IC where my character's relation to her master changed and the slave collar no longer was appropriate. i have also been in a position where i was functioning with happy non-person loyalty and adoration in a collar and in a non-romantic partnership IC - both were wonderful, satisfying things.

i might have welcomed this concubine role for my characters if it weren't for a few details. firstly, i am aware as a person who has played here on and off over the years that a 'slave' has a very honorable connotation here .. and that the snugglefest folks will sometimes share between masters and slaves is not always looked upon with favor.

at first i felt really angry about this suggestion. upset, actually, that after all of this time with a foggy perception of slavery in general which i had to muddle through on a personal level as well as a character level .. that the grey area was -finally- being defined, and that maybe there would be structure for each 'relationship' .. free person/bonded mate/slave, and now contracted and owned lover. and that it ALREADY seems to have this derogatory stink on it, as though it were a pacifier to placate. i felt, and still feel in part, that this is too little, too late.

then i read, and re-read these pages, all of these posts in this thread.

i read the OOC, and after speaking my first opinions, i slogged through multiple private conversations about it. i listened to people who are masters who love to beat and fuck their slaves until they cry, i listened to masters who love their slaves, who would never abuse them. i've chatted with players who play slaves and love doing it, players who thrive on whatever they've agreed upon with their master or mistress.
i've considered the difference between a D/s relationship and a slave/master relationship.

i still feel really personally divided about this, but what i've decided is that players will be players, games change, and channel populations will evolve. i really hope that this is the solution for some people who might feel the same way i used to feel .. that there was no good middle ground between Foot Rest and Ball and Chain. and if Tawny needs help, or if SB needs help with the in-character details or development, i volunteer myself.

also.

the concubine designation should come with a complimentary eunuch.
break the lock if it don't fit.
Winn d'Aviaa - Lene - Damascus - Octavia - siti{Carth} - Heron{Kir} - qiome|Rue| - Eleonora{LI} - Eala
One
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Stormbringer on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:00 am

I left this open for general comments about the subject so as to make a clear thread for implementation decisions. I still take wider opinions here, so thanks for contributing them.
--------------
Charm’d magic casements, opening on the foam
Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn

(John Keats)
Check your baggage at the door and bring some magic through your
window onto the world of Belariath
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Postby Ubique on Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:34 am

i'd like to contribute an opinion in the same way others have, just to say how things have gone for my characters in the game and offer less of an idea of what needs to be created or changed in regards to this idea. i don't have much to offer in that respect. all i can state is my story and experiences, i think. and that other thread probably isn't the place to post it.

like it or not, some of us are already roleplaying this. i've been confused on what a slave is for years as well. i am someone who is not educated in Gorean or any other slave realm and is just an average roleplayer (and i'm really okay with that :lol: ). a good pure slave is someone like a tu`turadil. they have eyes cast down. they kneel and bow and prostrate and flatter, at least some of them do, even to strangers. we should know what to expect from them and of them. they cook, they clean, they are amiable and well behaved in an ideal situation. i don't want to roleplay that. i try it with t`larryo and it has it's happy moments. but i am most pleased being vhid`anon. and vhid does not bow because she has a collar and someone else doesn't. vhid hisses and spits and laughs and sits with eyes up and direct. she has secrets and goals separate from her master, who she despises but can't get enough of when it comes to fucking.

i would be happy roleplaying a concubine. i don't want to do dishes and cook and clean and do errands and all of that. i want to fuck and to fuck well. no, it's not the same as roleplaying a slut free person. i want to be owned and belong to someone. i want to roleplay a girl others are dominant over, despite her lack of submissiveness. i want to roleplay driving my master and lovers nuts with pretty clothes and jewelry and jealousy and hunger. i would love a title that acknowledges what i want to roleplay, what other ppl want me to roleplay...separate from what other good slaves are roleplaying. my rp for vhid tarnishes what someone like gwyn is trying to achieve. it's not because i don't roleplay a slave very well. i really do. i am enjoyed and appreciated. but vhid is better off as a concubine. don't give my character equality. recognize where her skills lay and separate her from the tu`turadils and their trainees. she would go insane if she didn't have a collar, she doesn't know how to be a free person. but she makes for a great fuck toy and is most happy when she is being coveted and desired. owned.

ubique would make use of this differentiation too. some of her boys are for fucking. some she expects them to clean up after her. it's nice to own someone that you know, and that they know, is just for sexual pleasure. you buy them some clothes, some sex toys, and leave them be except when you hunger for them. and the other ones, meh, wash my horse down, fetch some food from the market, go see who is telling rumors.

i am excited about this new idea. i wish we could take it further and a House could own a harem. no equipment slots lost then! [-o<

either way, thanks for considering this concept. i'm glad that like someone said, recognition of the evolution of the channel is possible. it's different from years ago. most of the changes are good. it's great to keep going in that good direction.
This is a pill. Take it and chill...
DireLilith on Twitter
Ubique
Adept
Adept

Postby Vladimir on Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:45 pm

I dig this in an IC sense... just the ISA, which I always imagined as the economic foothold of the Empire beyond good old fashioned plunder, broadening its market... releasing a number 2 combo while defining the 'classic'. :P
I'd say keep the registration fee, and offer somewhat limited protections from the ISA compared to what a traditional Slave would receive.
Full fathom five thy father lies; of his bones are coral made; Those are pearls that were his eyes: Nothing of him that doth fade, but doth suffer a sea- change into something rich and strange. Sea-Nymphs hourly ring his knell: Ding-dong, Hark! Now I hear them, - Ding-dong, Bell.
Vladimir
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Thria on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:48 pm

Vladimir wrote:I dig this in an IC sense... just the ISA, which I always imagined as the economic foothold of the Empire beyond good old fashioned plunder, broadening its market... releasing a number 2 combo while defining the 'classic'. :P
I'd say keep the registration fee, and offer somewhat limited protections from the ISA compared to what a traditional Slave would receive.

The trick to that statement is that (to my mind), the protections offered by the ISA are already minimal for a slave (as they should be, IMO); how would you further reduce them?
Thria
Adept
Adept

Previous

Return to Characters