Concubines

Questions and suggestions relating to the playing of individual characters rather than the game world

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Re: Concubines

Postby Thria on Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:50 pm

What client are you talking about that uses \ ? Are you sure you're not confusing it with / ?
Thria
Adept
Adept

Postby magnus adder on Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:59 am

/ is used for an action in irc... an "Action script" is a program that tells a client to do something. the best example i can think of is a "cutscript" most clients have scripting separate from their main engine how ever certain java based clients are bundled as is. i do not know what sorcery uses for their web clients and i am not actually interested in trying it merely stating there might be a problem with "\" as a tag.
fol draeval ol zhah vel'bol dos xun naut nym'uer nindelen kleel
magnus adder
Novice
Novice

Postby Thria on Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:36 am

Well your statement began with "some clients use this".... and you managed not to be able to name a single one... so unless you can provide one, i'm going to have to file this under 'not a concern'....

It's kind of like saying some clients use | for piping commands... it's true on *NIX based system prompts.. but unless you can point to a specific example of an IRC client, it's not relevant.
Thria
Adept
Adept

Postby magnus adder on Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:08 am

i didn't include one because, it would be easy to say well no one uses it anyway, not a problem... but here is an easy way to see if it will be a problem log in from sorcery's web client and change your nick to include the \ if it works great, if not you know there is a problem.
fol draeval ol zhah vel'bol dos xun naut nym'uer nindelen kleel
magnus adder
Novice
Novice

Postby kitten on Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:29 am

I try to read every post but most are quotes and etc. What I do see is a chance for something to finally help with one of my characters.
I play a character than not only has specific barbarian clan traditions and titles, but she also resides in Nanthalion which has certain imperial laws to abide by.
In Nanthalion, she is a free person who claims to be owned by an elder of her clan, which then others look for that ISA collar that she does not have. She is not a slave.
In clan tradition, she is owned by the elder as his mistress, being the essential second wife of lesser standing on the 'food chain'.
So with the Concubine class/title, this would clear up a lot of confusion when roleplaying this character. I'm sure others have a situation that this would work great for them. As for a collar indication, I think it should be a visible one but I don't see a collar being the right one as slaves are recognized as such.

Also I don't see an owner's actions counting as the concubines as well, but I do believe that the concubine's does count as a reflection of the owner. I don't think concubines should be present at such things involving military, etc as this is what can cause some issues. Sure they have lives out of the 'house' of the owner, but they should not be at the business place of the owner unless she is imperative to the business.

I'm not sure what OOC tag if any should be on the nicks. It's more of a class or profession that that, but some enjoy using the tags. in the likeness of this being more profession or class, only the -C would be needed. I think I read that the tag was decided on however.
I think a registration fee should be negated as people choose concubines faster than slaves, it's sort of like a practice/testing stage for many that might want to make it more permanate at a later stage to the slave collars. Perhaps just leave it at the 5 mhl fee and 1 equipment slot?

I think over all it is just a roleplaying experience that could become more permante, the simple -C tag if even needed and perhaps a quick post of someone announcing thier Concubine is all that is really necessary until there is a real need to begin a database for such things.

For now I lost my thoughts and will hope not to be shot at if I missed anything already posted or if I confused anyone. I was just jotting down some thoughts and ideas.

Thanks,
Amalthea/Jonie
kitten
Adept
Adept

Postby Thria on Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:31 am

I've just tried \ in both the Sorcery and Mibbit clients (Which would represent 90% of web-based connections), and both operate fine. Which you could just as easily have tested yourself before making your initial post.

kitten: -C would generally indicate a job, unless you're talking about {Name-C} (Which to me would be better suited to indicate Criminal collars). IC i agree a collar is not an appropriate marking (as i believe the original idea states as well).

I also see Concubine as being.... oh how do I put it. A way to sort of defuse the widespread use of keeping slaves as near-free-persons who happen to be committed to a single individual.
Thria
Adept
Adept

Postby Kerianna on Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:47 am

The thing about saying "no collars IC" is that, currently, free people can wear collars as they please, as a fashion statement or whatever. Moreover, which do you think would be more likely to be branded - a slave or a concubine? The slave's much more of a "livestock" type role than a concubine is, so...

Not only that, but not all slaves wear collars. Some of them are marked in some other way approved by the ISA.

That's why I say the concubine collar (or whatever, if someone specifically wanted something different and went through the ISA as mentioned above) should simply have a different sort of mark - then the ISA mark on a collar would identify them as a slave with one sort, a concubine with another sort, or a free person if there was no ISA mark. And that would work for any sort of marking approved by the ISA, whether a collar or something else. More importantly, that would give people more choice rather than less, more creative freedom rather than less...and that's always a good thing in my book.
Kerianna

Postby Thria on Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:34 pm

The flip side of the coin is that it's already done - Tu Turandil dont receive a special collar, they get cuffs. Different class of ownership, different symbol. simple.

The idea of defining concubine as seperate from slave is lost, if you're going to use the same symbols. All you do is add the same question being asked by 10 different people a day. "I see you're wearing a collar. Are you slave or concubine?"

Answer that one every hour on the hour for a few days, and tell me when you get annoyed.
Thria
Adept
Adept

Postby gwyneth{StWi} on Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:56 pm

What about a fine chain, but locked...or a chain mail type collar, like a choker collar instead of the harder or leather collars slaves use? Still a mark, and one easily seen, as well as representative of their rank in society... it could be as simple as

http://www.sblades.com/ID-G80.php

or more ornate like:

http://www.sblades.com/ID-S42.php

It allows for more or less decoration and elegance/frill per character preference.... while still is different enough from a 'slave collar' to be easily seen as concubine and yet noticeably a marking of servitude. Could be of several different materials, very enchantable, add gems, charms, whatever the owner and/or concubine prefer.
gwyneth{StWi}
Expert
Expert

Location: tied up in Mistress Ehlanna's pm box, in Mistress India's lap

Postby Kerianna on Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:03 pm

Thria wrote:The flip side of the coin is that it's already done - Tu Turandil dont receive a special collar, they get cuffs. Different class of ownership, different symbol. simple.

The idea of defining concubine as seperate from slave is lost, if you're going to use the same symbols. All you do is add the same question being asked by 10 different people a day. "I see you're wearing a collar. Are you slave or concubine?"

Answer that one every hour on the hour for a few days, and tell me when you get annoyed.

...Hence having a different symbol? Like I said, different symbol on the collar, different status. We'll already have some sort of different mark in the nick to identify it, so if people are asking, they're obviously blind to begin with.

And if it comes to it, sure, I'll answer it. Annoying, yes, but the characters I have that will likely become concubines when this goes into effect deeply care about their collars. To the point that they're gonna be wearing them regardless of whether or not concubines are "supposed" to. It's an important symbol to them, and I highly doubt I'm alone in that feeling. And given that there's already going to be a different tag style to distinguish slave from concubine, there's no good reason why concubines shouldn't be allowed to wear a collar too - as I said, there are already slaves without collars, Tu'Turadil as well as others, and there are plenty of free people that wear collars or collar-like chokers for fashion, so simply seeing a collar and going "must be a slave!" is already a bad idea.
Kerianna

Postby miyuka on Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:55 am

MY character Jessika totally wears a leather collar for fashion, and yuka sometimes wears shackles for the same reason, just mah two cents to add to what Kerianna is saying.
miyuka

Postby Thria on Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:56 am

Well lets make another differentiation here.

I'm talking about the OFFICIAL marking. Not some optional piece of jewelry. Slaves dont get a choice in having their official marking. They have one. For 90% of slaves, it's a collar. And until recently, that was it. Period. Those that dont use a collar now have an open, visible, perminant marking that has to be pre-approved by the ISA. For TuTurandil? Cuffs. Yup. Official marking.

You want your free person or concubine to wear a collar? Go right ahead. Dont complain OOC'ly when they get confused for and treated as a slave. What self respecting free person in a society like this WANTS to look like a slave?

I do have to say that for me personally, the "I'm a slave but not really a slave" group is what concubines are being made for. Leaving them wearing their collars makes the thing a lateral move rather than a step forwards, and continues to almost border on insult.
Thria
Adept
Adept

Postby miyuka on Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:58 am

I love it when ICly Jessika gets confused for a slave cause she's wearing a collar, though it only happens like once or twice a year due to the fact that slaves wear name tags, but still, enjoyable.

Seems like a good idea to me to differentiate those who are slaves from those who are just toys, things to be played with or fucked...or I guess a lover.

It's not like it's going to OOCly force you to play a certain way.
miyuka

Postby Cangelosi on Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:24 pm

miyuka wrote:I love it when ICly Jessika gets confused for a slave cause she's wearing a collar, though it only happens like once or twice a year due to the fact that slaves wear name tags, but still, enjoyable.

Don't give Morg any ideas to add his initals to that collar, Jess. :P
-post presented by the actual mun of characters Morgan Drakewing and Arnoch Bretail-
Cangelosi
Adept
Adept

Postby Sakkara on Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:14 am

I still say leather collars for the concubines, and metal for slaves.
Sakkara
Initiate
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Characters