Slavery Revision

Questions and suggestions relating to the playing of individual characters rather than the game world

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Re: Slavery Revision

Postby Stormbringer on Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:21 am

I'm still hanging back a bit because slavery is such a core part of the game. I would rather see what others are looking for and hope they will express their views here rather than in OOC. Obviously I have my own opinions but putting them in too forcefully tends to stifle discussion.
--------------
Charm’d magic casements, opening on the foam
Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn

(John Keats)
Check your baggage at the door and bring some magic through your
window onto the world of Belariath
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Postby Thria on Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:43 pm

Only note i'd make is that common parlence of law is that the '1st degree' is the most severe (high-to-low)
Thria
Adept
Adept

Postby miyuka on Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:29 pm

Love it, can't wait to see it get put into play.
miyuka

Postby One on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:44 am

i've avoided posting anything in this thread purposefully, because my opinion constantly evolves about the topic in question .. but i have to say that i believe in the general idea that collared slaves that take up equipment slots and have the opportunity to become honored for their -service- SHOULD have at least a brief code of behavior.

i feel they should

retain their ability to choose a class, a dual class, carry weapons
should not own property, even if they're wearing it or wielding it. any property. property belongs to master, all of it. even that feather you found on the floor in the bath house after Alta's been in there on an LP9 rampage.
can carry money - as they do now - with the understanding that it belongs to master/mistress
should be able to have jobs with the permission and blessing of master/mistress

but you know, just as before, a slave's right to wear clothes or not .. her right to walk upright and not on her hands and knees .. her right to speak or be silent, to eat or not eat .. her right to bathe .. she -belongs- to her owner.

in public, a slave:

should keep her eyes below the level of a free person's
should be soft-spoken, respectful
should not attack a free person verbally or physically

.. or expect consequences at a level appropriate for the offense. for instance, a slave might expect to be spanked for a small disrespectful behavior .. behaviors that are punishable by her master might be almost all-encompassing, as he or she would have every discretion over the slave's body.

the slave might expect a formal trial for seriously harming or killing a free person, openly committing treason or treasonous acts .. as her master might or might not have had control over these things, fault and consequences would have to be determined.

in private, as now, whatever. whatever floats your boat. fuck your manservant with a candlestick, leash your girl to the floor in front of the hearth and paddle her ass until she's a drooling mess. but in public, if your slave looks a free person in the eye and sporks them in the -chest,- the slave's master should be prepared to take responsibility for the behavior. he or she should be prepared for public punishment of their slave, too.

i think the biggest contrast between a concubine and a slave is that a concubine will be punishable for her own actions .. a slave's behavior is the responsibility of her master, and he or she is therefore punishable for it.

-lene.
break the lock if it don't fit.
Winn d'Aviaa - Lene - Damascus - Octavia - siti{Carth} - Heron{Kir} - qiome|Rue| - Eleonora{LI} - Eala
One
Initiate
Initiate

Previous

Return to Characters