Hermaphrodites: Opening the doors just a bit

Questions and suggestions relating to the playing of individual characters rather than the game world

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Hermaphrodites: Opening the doors just a bit

Postby Rei-Kai on Thu May 17, 2018 7:49 pm

In more recent times there has seemed to be more people interested in creating a playing a hermaphrodite character and unfortunately there has been no change to the ruling of limited numbers for several years. Which is rather sad. There is an interest and it would promote RP and more interaction between players. That is not to say I feel we should open the floodgates or anything, but I'd like to see a small handful of people have the opportunity to create their character to play and enjoy.

Of the approved herms, maybe half are active (including myself). I have no desire to see the others removed just because their players are inactive at this time, I just feel it'd be good to allow a few more people to create some new ones and bring some fresh material to the game.

For here I want to see peoples thoughts on the matter and who would like to play a herm character. Hopefully with enough thought and interest we'll get to see some more soon.
Rei-Kai
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Hermaphrodites: Opening the doors just a bit

Postby miyuka on Thu May 17, 2018 7:55 pm

Fully against opening the doors for more, but I do see the problem with inactive folks taking up room.
miyuka

Postby Cangelosi on Thu May 17, 2018 11:33 pm

I stated before that we had the swap gender spell developed for people wanting to scratch that itch. Still, I do want to hear a few more arguments on the subject pro and con before I weigh in fully on this.
-post presented by the actual mun of characters Morgan Drakewing and Arnoch Bretail-
Cangelosi
Adept
Adept

Postby Farvel on Thu May 17, 2018 11:50 pm

I for one appreciate the fact that this is one of the few online sexual RP channels that isn't flooded with a futanari craze (in fact, even using swap gender mid-scene bothers me when it's done without asking first).

That said, I do agree that there are enough inactive herm characters to warrant a few more being approved though, but that of course creates the problem of them eventually coming back.
Farvel
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Rebecca of Valaris on Fri May 18, 2018 12:33 am

Obviously only a very part time player now but unless there is a specific reason or s/l need I'd be minded as to how wide those gates get open. The two fine gentlemen on top of me (Fnarr fnarr) make valid if different points.

There is swap gender for dabbling ( which can be lark) but to have a whole pile of perm "chicks with dicks" floating around the place is a different matter and would, I feel, change the nature of the place.

That said though if people aren't using a privileged character right....well maybe they should lose it so someone else can. A bit like property.....but with more of a penis.

*might be drunk typing this so apologises in advance for typos, nonsense and random mentions of aubergines*
Rebecca of Valaris
Expert
Expert

Postby Matwyn on Fri May 18, 2018 4:15 am

about 1.7% of the population is born intersex. could ask ehlanna if we are meeting that number for characters. Though if the doors are ever opened again. Those with herm characters already should not be considered for additional herm characters.
Matwyn
Senior Op
Senior Op

Postby Rei-Kai on Fri May 18, 2018 5:38 am

Cangelosi wrote:I stated before that we had the swap gender spell developed for people wanting to scratch that itch. Still, I do want to hear a few more arguments on the subject pro and con before I weigh in fully on this.

However being Male and being a Hermaphrodite are not the same thing. What you're saying isn't really an argument. You might as well just have said "Go make a male character". Which people have done. But again, being Male or Female and being a Herm is not the same thing. Certainly not in terms of mentality or biology.

Rebecca of Valaris wrote:Obviously only a very part time player now but unless there is a specific reason or s/l need I'd be minded as to how wide those gates get open. The two fine gentlemen on top of me (Fnarr fnarr) make valid if different points.

There is swap gender for dabbling ( which can be lark) but to have a whole pile of perm "chicks with dicks" floating around the place is a different matter and would, I feel, change the nature of the place.

However, as has been explained before, Swap Gender doesn't allow players to become dual-gendered. You are only transitioning from Male to Female and vice-versa. It is not the same as possessing the traits and qualities of both genders. Sure there are effeminate males and masculine females, but they are still just Men and Women possessing of only their own gender.

Farvel wrote:I for one appreciate the fact that this is one of the few online sexual RP channels that isn't flooded with a futanari craze (in fact, even using swap gender mid-scene bothers me when it's done without asking first).

That said, I do agree that there are enough inactive herm characters to warrant a few more being approved though, but that of course creates the problem of them eventually coming back.

And I certainly don't intend it to open the way for an army of dickgirls. But it is unfair to people who want to rp these kinds of characters and all that their history entails, and be told they can't because there are no open positions available. This hurts older players who may have taken an interest in playing a herm and Newer players who never had the chance before the gates were closed to them.

In all honesty, I would say to just allow 5 more people to make one each. It won't heavily affect the community while still allowing players to enjoy not only creating herm characters but interacting with more of them as well. I feel it will create more opportunities for RP. And if these people play them for a while and don't feel that into them, there is the option of dropping the character and giving someone else a chance. And I don't feel that that's unreasonable.
Rei-Kai
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Naomh on Fri May 18, 2018 4:51 pm

There are a lot of things we can do that would add to RP, the question is whether or not it's RP we WANT here, and by we I do not mean the community as a whole for while they may have input it is ultimately Stormbringer's call. The same man who has very bluntly stated he wants it to be a very limited thing.

Now, that said, if we have openings for say, ten herms and 5 of them are completely inactive then it may be worth mentioning to SB, which appears to be the primary point of this thread, and see how he decides to handle it.

As it is right now in this forum here: viewforum.php?f=273 we have...
(05:39:40) Desdaemona: ** Character 'Drusilda' was last logged in at 2016-01-13 01:41:42
(05:39:50) Desdaemona: ** Character 'Misk' was last logged in at 2018-02-24 03:20:20
(05:39:56) Desdaemona: ** Character 'Iriam' was last logged in at 2018-03-21 19:46:09
(05:40:05) Desdaemona: ** Character 'Sawyer' was last logged in at 2015-11-17 23:36:47
(05:40:16) Desdaemona: ** Character 'Aina Isil' was last logged in at 2018-04-28 03:37:35
(05:40:18) Desdaemona: ** Character 'Cider' was last logged in at 2018-05-17 02:39:43
(05:40:36) Desdaemona: ** Character 'Erel`Rae' was last logged in at 2018-03-28 15:42:56
(05:40:45) Desdaemona: ** Character 'Toraki' was last logged in at 2016-02-22 04:07:38
(05:40:53) Desdaemona: ** Character 'Razuna' was last logged in at 2015-02-21 23:34:44

We also have at least one herm who have not posted in the appropriate subforum:
(05:43:49) Desdaemona: ** Character 'Dias Eesha' was last logged in at 2018-05-10 01:04:36

That's 10 herms I know of, 4 have not been seen IC in more than 2 years, I do suspect however that there are more, active herms who are like Dias and haven't posted their characters and I am unaware of/forgotten about. Do with this information as you will but, as speaking as someone who has considered the thought of playing one themselves, we seem to have enough active at this time in my opinion.
Avatar courtesy of: Lucky/Isilindil : http://belariath.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136186#p136186
Team member of: Dev, SI, Quest, Ops
Manager of: Sorcerous Sanctuary (Anaya), Unigo (Headmistress - Keani), Lodge of Strength (Head Priestess - Robyn)
Assistant manager of: Thallis (Lady of the Azure Isle - Naomh), Sutara's house (Majordomo - North), Arena (Records Keeper - Kateri)
Naomh
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Farvel on Fri May 18, 2018 9:09 pm

Rei-Kai wrote:And I certainly don't intend it to open the way for an army of dickgirls. But it is unfair to people who want to rp these kinds of characters and all that their history entails, and be told they can't because there are no open positions available. This hurts older players who may have taken an interest in playing a herm and Newer players who never had the chance before the gates were closed to them.

In all honesty, I would say to just allow 5 more people to make one each. It won't heavily affect the community while still allowing players to enjoy not only creating herm characters but interacting with more of them as well. I feel it will create more opportunities for RP. And if these people play them for a while and don't feel that into them, there is the option of dropping the character and giving someone else a chance. And I don't feel that that's unreasonable.

No argument there. 8)

Matwyn wrote:Though if the doors are ever opened again. Those with herm characters already should not be considered for additional herm characters.

Totally this.
Farvel
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Rida_Cherryglade on Sun May 20, 2018 7:08 pm

I dont see the harm in allowing SOME more players to make herm characters. Since at the moment it does seem like a majority of them are inactive in some way.
Rida_Cherryglade
Expert
Expert

Postby Fayette on Sun May 20, 2018 7:24 pm

I am going to pop in here.

I play one of the semi inactive hermes. I play Razuna. The reason she has been inactive is a couple reasons.

1- The Major SL she was part of (part of a major house) got decimated a couple years ago. She was openly herme in that SL and a lot knew of her. But only 1 would play with her consistently. Because of life I took a break, before I could try to find new partners for her.

2-It was put to us original hermes that we weren't supposed to be super open about it. Don't go around wagging your girly dick. It was frowned upon to do open herme sex in the Inn, because some people are instantly turned off by it. We were told to keep it as a subtle feature which is what appealed to me. I like more build up and interaction that grows things.

I also have experience as a past partner of a past herme, who got stalked.

Now that I have returned more consistently. I have recently talked to a couple of occasional partners and we have talked about Raz's return. And just waiting for our times to meet up once again.

On that note- if anyone is interested in trying some Rp with her go ahead and FM Araliaceae. We can discuss potential RP She is a domme. Period the end. She will not be raped, but may rape-male or female, she doesn't care.

I often sign on first as Araliaceae. I would love to get her active again because she was a very interesting character with some potential then. Now....

And honestly from my own experience there isn't that much demand for them. It is hard enough to get regular RP often. I understand Rei has 2, which surprised me when I returned to see that allowed.

So do not discount Raz from the possible active soon.

As far as most inactive that is false. 5 of the current group of 9ish have been active this year. That is more then some regular characters.
Fayette
Novice
Novice

Postby miyuka on Mon May 21, 2018 6:21 pm

Some of those characters may not be played often but the people playing them may still play so there's that to consider as well. And this is why I just say keep things how it is now. Leave it to SB to decide whether more get added or not.
miyuka

Postby Rei-Kai on Mon May 21, 2018 8:18 pm

miyuka wrote:Some of those characters may not be played often but the people playing them may still play so there's that to consider as well. And this is why I just say keep things how it is now. Leave it to SB to decide whether more get added or not.

Ultimately it is up to SB whether or not he will allow more than what we have currently, but this is more to show that there are players who are interested and want to create these characters. If enough interest is shown, things can change. Not a big change, but allowing these few people wouldn't make that big a difference to the overall community while still making them feel more accepted by allowing them to play these types of characters.

Fayette wrote:And honestly from my own experience there isn't that much demand for them. It is hard enough to get regular RP often. I understand Rei has 2, which surprised me when I returned to see that allowed.

So do not discount Raz from the possible active soon.

As far as most inactive that is false. 5 of the current group of 9ish have been active this year. That is more then some regular characters.

Correct, I do have 2 under my control. I used to play others, but those had been lost to time due to lack of interest back in the day and ultimately were removed from the system from lack of play. For the two I do have, one of them, Aina Isil, is a returning character I recreated after some...issues involving the staff that will not be discussed here. Remaking the character I also connected it with a recently concluding storyline run by Tehya involving the dragons and nightmares. Aina, as a Drak Sen being reformed in the world, had her form changed by these events and was allowed to return as a Herm character with permission from SB (I didn't get to keep her previous levels and gear though, which was fine).

My 2nd one, Cider, is much newer on that front and isn't a remake, and much more followed standard procedure. Cider is very shy about hir dual-gender identity and suffered through it in her past, but because of hir size and nature, Cider goes into a lust frenzy when aroused. But besides that, shi only tries to share hirself with those who already know of hir nature and doesn't actively go around hunting for bitches to skewer.

And the only reason why I was allowed to play as these herms is because I had gotten permission to play such characters before. So having two under my control wasn't considered a big deal because it's still One Player using them and you can't play 2 characters at once without special permission (usually to run a shop or event).

While I may be the only one who has 2 active herm characters, overall it doesn't mean much since the number of characters they each interact with is rather limited. And unlike some people, I don't have 30-40-50 different characters in the database. :wink:
Rei-Kai
Initiate
Initiate

Postby CallieO on Sat May 26, 2018 2:06 am

I, for one, wouldn't mind allowing 2 or 3 new herm characters in the game, so long as no one person has more than one. And so long as there's a good story as to why they're this way.
"If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe."
--Dr. Beverly Crusher

Player of Callie Volopa, Viaa, Auric Lightwing, Brian Perano, Erin Tarcata and Aimee Sarasiné

CallieO
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Stormbringer on Mon May 28, 2018 7:34 pm

I don't intend to see this roleplay becoming a me-too like so many others where what should be extremely niche characters descend in large numbers and drive out those who prefer regular sexual equipment and motivation. I would point out that the theme of the channel is might makes right in a western medieval fantasy world. As such funtari, which are basically an anime creation, actually have no place at all. No more than do ninjas or guys with spiky blonde hair and eight foot swords. There are plenty of places pandering to such fantasies already.

It was as a concession to players that we allowed herms in the first place and it was the spread of them that prompted the limitation. You can argue that their popularity indicated that this was what the general membership wanted but that was not so, since a few players created numerous throw away characters (yes I know they do that as males and females too but when we try to limit that we get an outcry).

So, OK, my stance has not changed. I would prefer not to see herms here at all as I do not believe they have any valid place in western fantasy (yes I'm sure you can find examples. ie Raptor by Gary Jennings, a historical western fantasy). Anyway I'm rambling here, as I tend to do at times, as my wife knows only too well. So the short version -

I have no objection to any herm character who has not logged in for at least a year being permanently deprived of being a hermaphrodite. If those players return, or are still here and have not played the character for that long, they can continue to play them as male or female. They can also join the queue to have the character re-hermed and create a suitable storyline for its loss and return.

Players who do not already have an active herm character may then apply to create one to replace one of those deleted, keeping the overall numbers the same. To make aware those who do not know, herm characters are approved if a) they have a detailed backstory about their early life b) as you may expect, they are shy of exposing themselves (pun intended) because the majority consider them freaks or hateful and c) they play discreetly. Not necessarily out of channel but not creating scenes of sexual excess with themselves at the centre of it. Applications with the backstory to me - rhyull@gmail.com is the most reliable address.
--------------
Charm’d magic casements, opening on the foam
Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn

(John Keats)
Check your baggage at the door and bring some magic through your
window onto the world of Belariath
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Next

Return to Characters