Cartography Programs?

Discussion area for the creation of maps, both of the empire and the wider world of Belariath

Moderator: Stormbringer

Cartography Programs?

Postby Voknali on Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:39 pm

Currently i'm using, well I should say 'exploring' Auto realms trying to figure out how to make a decent map from it. Does anyone know of any other free programs that are good for use or should I look to invest in an actual pay for program?
Voknali
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Cartography Programs?

Postby lyllamarie on Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:48 pm

The best programs are dreamweaver, illustrator for vector images, and photoshop. You can create image maps (the kind of images you can roll-over and click on) in photoshop for xhtml and html pages in both photoshop and dreamweaver -- which, I have photoshop. Yet they can be pretty pricey, even with the student discounts I get from my school ($200-$400 for CS4 package for example)

There are a lot of free programs which I do not remember off the top of my head, but there are ways to create image maps and to edit uploaded hand-drawn images also with some of these free programs. It just takes a lot of know-how.
The player of
LyllaMarie{SB} || Sutara || Ebilese || Hellian Cros || Kuma || Imogene
lyllamarie
High Council
High Council

Postby Kesa on Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:08 pm

I know that PaintShop Pro offers a free trial to use, though Photoshop and Dreamweaver are superior, it offers most of the basic tools needed to edit/create images. PaintShop Pro 7 costs about $99 (US).

Though if you're creating a map, for about $50 (US) I believe you can purchase Campaign Cartographer. It's an excellent program to create overland maps. And sold separately unfortunately is city builder, made by the same people.
Kesa
Novice
Novice

Postby Yeardly on Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:31 am

I've some suggestions, if this is still a relevant topic; Campaign Cartographer and even RPGMaker.
Yeardly
Novice
Novice

Return to Imperial Cartography