Heraldic Shields & Identifying Marks

Advertising jobs at shops and other locations, characters wanting work, freelance opportunities.

Heraldic Shields & Identifying Marks

Postby Daja on Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:50 am

Daja Kurush is offering her services in the creation of custom heraldic shield and other identifying marks.

Pricing will generally be between 50mhl - 125mhl per piece depending on overall complexity of each design, bartering is also an option!

~ OOC Details ~
In the process of creating Daja I also created a shield and wax seal for her (see below). I really enjoyed giving her this bit of extra depth and thought there might be other characters who would appreciate having a symbol to display as well - especially those who regularly visit the arena or hold a rank high enough to have banners of their own. Mostly, I really got a kick out of actually making the designs and am looking for an excuse to make some more!

- Shields -
Base Price: 100mhl

In keeping with our relatively medieval setting the deigns Daja is offering are fairly simple and will follow 'traditional' heraldic patterns from that general period. Due to the complex nature of blazonry - and my own sanity! - some aspects of your shield will be considered designer's choice. This is not to say that you won't be able to request tweaks to a design, but please be considerate of the fact that each one of these will be custom created and this is something I'm doing for FUN... and I'd like to keep it fun. ;)

Shield Customization Options
  • Shield Shape/Escutcheon: Traditionally speaking, only those able to go to war (men) displayed their arms on a escutcheon (shield shape) while those who did not go to war (women) displayed their arms - typically the arms of their father/husband - on a lozenge (diamond/rhombus), oval, or circle. As far as I/Daja am concerned, choose whichever shape you like best from the chart below!

• Symbols/Charges: This is the symbol displayed on the shield. Common examples are basic geometric shapes (circles, squares, five point stars, chevrons, etc.), crosses (various styles), stylized animals (lions, eagles, bulls, fish, etc.), stylized mythical creatures (griffins, dragons, unicorns, mermaids, etc.), stylized objects (weapons, towers, bridges, crowns, etc.), or stylized nature objects (trees, suns, clouds, mountains, etc.).

• Color/Tincture: The 7 traditional colors are Red, Blue, Green, Purple, Black, Yellow, and White. Sky Blue and Burnt Orange will also be included. These colors are represented on the chart below. Please note that, like a box of crayons, these nine colors are the only colors to choose from.

• Names/Mottos on Shield: Traditionally, letters were not used on heraldic shields. There was no hard rule on this, but it was something of a faux pas. However, some traditions were meant to be broken! If you would like to include a name, motto, etc. you are welcome to do so. I would recommend this addition by way of a ribbon along the bottom of the shield, but that is up to you. Please include details of what you'd like in the 'description' section of the order form below.

• Order Form:
    Character Name, titles may be included:
    Shield Shape/Escutcheon STYLE:
    Shield Shape/Escutcheon COLOR(s) [Max of 2]:
    [List of] Symbols/Charges & COLOR [One per item]:
    Description:

• Example Order Form:
    Character Name, titles may be included: Messenger Daja Kurush
    Shield Shape/Escutcheon STYLE: J
    Shield Shape/Escutcheon COLOR(s) [Max of 2]: Yellow & White
    - Sun (black)
    - Pegasus (black)
    Description: Sun above Pegasus, all centered.

• All shields will include character name [and title] at the bottom by default.
  • All shields will be placed on a simple, parchment texture background, by default.

SHIELD CHART:

**Shapes O - P - Q are traditionally used by women who are not associated with battle/war.**
    **"White" color also includes a pale grey that may be requested &/or substituted by designer.**

General References of Shield/Banners, of particular note being the overall continuity and simplicity of design standards:
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/94/Charles%27_Roll_-_Panel_3_-_shields_163_through_243.png

- Wax Seals -
    Base Price: 50mhl

Wax Seals can be the same as/similar to a shield design or completely different. Use of names, symbols, etc. are all in the realm of possibility. It's important to remember to keep the design simple to avoid a blobby mess, though!

• Order Form:
      Character Name, titles may be included:
      ONE Wax Color:
      [List of] Symbols/Words of Seal:
      Description:

**Wax color can either be one of the listed shield colors (above) or you're welcome to provide the hex color code (the font color chart provided in the post tool bar is a quick resource).**

• Example Order Form:
      Character Name, titles may be included: Messenger Daja Kurush
      ONE Wax Color: Yellow
      [List of] Symbols/Words of Seal: Same as shield
      Description: Also include a simple border/edge.

• All wax seals will include "Official Seal of" [character name] at the bottom by default.
    • All wax seals will be placed on a simple, parchment texture background, by default.

- What about Wizard Marks, Crafter's Marks, Brands, et al???????????? -
Base Price: 125mhl

I'm definitely game to help you design other [fairly simple] marks! I'd be happy to discuss details with you to see if what you're looking to have designed is something I have the time and ability to do. :)

HOW TO ORDER:
You're welcome to respond to this post or PM me via the board or in channel!

Commissioned Pieces: http://belariath.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=190&t=22344
~ Daja Kurush: Messenger ~ Herald ~ Crafter of Arms & Identifying Marks ~
Daja
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Heraldic Shields & Wax Seals

Postby Azara on Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:21 am

I would like to order a Heraldic Shield for Azara.

Character Name, titles may be included: Azara, Renor Cryso d'l'Qu'ellar d'Aphyon (Black Rose of the House of Death)
Shield Shape/Escutcheon STYLE: H
Shield Shape/Escutcheon COLOR(s) [Max of 2]: White, Black
- Rose (Black/style at the discretion of the artist)
- Hand/hands (color/style at the discretion of the artist)
Description: Design will be left up to the artist's discretion

I will also order a seal based on the design of the heraldic shield, details to be determined.
~Watching.. always watching.~

Azara
Predominate
Predominate

Re: Heraldic Shields & Wax Seals

Postby Daja on Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:27 am

Hello, Azara!

Please message or PM me at your earliest convenience. :)
Daja
Initiate
Initiate

Re: Heraldic Shields & Identifying Marks

Postby ShaKa on Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:48 pm

As will I....very nice work...
"Fear. Fear attracts the fearful. The strong. The weak. The innocent. The corrupt. Fear. Fear is my ally."

"Taste. Come to me and taste the future."
ShaKa
Senior Op
Senior Op

Postby Daja on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:04 pm

Thank you, ShaKa! *blush*

And please excuse the muchly delayed response. XD
Daja
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Azara on Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:07 am

I would like to put in a request for a custom wizard mark for my char Kaycee. Something that would also look good as a brand.

Thanks!
~Watching.. always watching.~

Azara
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Cangelosi on Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:09 am

This is...awesome work.

Make sure to message me next time you're on. I think I might have another seal for you to do.
-post presented by the actual mun of characters Morgan Drakewing and Arnoch Bretail-
Cangelosi
Adept
Adept

Return to Work and Workers