Letter from Umbara to HM and AHM

News, information and discussion about the tower of Unigo

Moderators: miyuka, Twerlinger, Takao, Developers, Gameplay Dev

Letter from Umbara to HM and AHM

Postby Eraelabryn on Wed May 09, 2012 2:59 pm

The notes were copied, the research that had consumed her sent to Unigo, via messenger. Both copies to be handed to the Slip of Beautiful flesh, hers to carry to the Head Master after reading. That part completed, the Moriel had fufilled promise to the Flame, and Empire. Wondering what other new aspects would be revealed through the joint research being completed, and that in and of itself, made the dark elf hum.

To the HeadMaster and Mistress of Unigo:

Darling Miyuka,

Since this will find you first, I am sure.
Please find enclosed my research notes upon the subjects of Portals and their use at sea. As I have promised the Flame, I am sending scribed copy of what is maintained within my personal logs. Sending them to you, so that you can secure Ta knows what he might find interesting.

By forming a oval with the stones cut and faceted much like the rings, contained in mithril, and balancing the counter weight on a small scale, the Portal Mages are able to use the stones to focus the power, manifesting it for a longer distance while maintaining a safe flow of energy within the crystals themselves. Still they must remained covered for part of the daylight and therefore the strange wrapping of mithril over half so the sun does it's dirty work for us with it's rising and falling, and there is less risk of explosion or implosion as the case may be.

Finding a way to make it float while securing it, was a matter I turned to ship builders for. While mithril is light and the counter balance is much like the floatation used for docks and bouyee's in fresh water, it is possible to manage it for the sea as well. An anchor made of heavier metal, alloyed in seems to do the job in the ocean, however I have not tested the theory with larger ships and more people.

One portal spaced out, with the exit portal floating as well, means when they come through the 'drop' if there is one is far less damaging then if they were halted on platforms that did not move. Placing the oval half in the water seems to spare damage too, although I make no promises for sparing life’s. The distance tested was a bit over 130 knots, and both ship and its breathing passengers arrived shaken but not worse for the wear, all things considered. I had planned on testing it further, but will halt such and leave it to your capable hands, I am sure there are things that Unigo has uncovered that might unveil the eyes a bit more. (And just so you are aware, sometimes folks are very upset with you send them out 130 knots in a dingy.. so be prepared when they finally make it to shore. )

On a grander scale the method has not been tested, even at Umbara I have the limits of what I will risk, in such ventures. A model of a scaled down ship with mithril and the stone design has been tested and is being tested with flight stored into the stones, however the first test runs of this have proven a bit harsher on any living that that is within. We are not Morpheus’s chosen but I have set a few on the research purpose of figuring out their use of wood that is lighter and sturdier. Soon the report should be on my desk and with that, it will be passed along of course. Depending on what course of action, and information can be shared, the joint venture of the Towers in this area should be a stunning thing, one would hope.

Along with the notes, one does hope you find the quill drawing completed for you. I wait with baited breath, to discover what wonder's you have to share.

Eraelabryn

***the image enclosed***

http://belariath.com/artgal/index.php/photos/4309
Eraelabryn
Op
Op

Re: Letter from Umbara to HM and AHM

Postby miyuka on Wed May 09, 2012 4:48 pm

Miyuka looks over the letter and could not help but to smile once she was done reading it. Two main things she had learned from reading the letter was that Bryn was a terrible artist, and that yuka knew nothing about the navy or it's terminology. How far as a knot anyway? It sounded like a good distance, anyhow. Yuka takes a moment to thing and then finally pens a reply.

Dear Lady Eraelabryn,

your idea for holding the stones in place, though much less flashy than what I had planned, is probably going to be far safer, easier, and less likely to blow up in our collective faces than my own, so in this regard, I bow to your idea and believe that is what we should go with. That being said, along with finding a way to hold the portal in place, I have been able to combine the might of the phoenix crystals with my own knowledge of dragon magics. To this end, I have devised a way to create such a grand portal on a scale not seen in quite a few years...and may I add without turning the world as we know it inside out. I'll skip on the details and formulae involved in constructing such a magnificent structure and just leave you with how it works in simple terms.

Through the power of magical glyphs, we can combine these with the phoenix crystals, not only powering each portion of the portal, but also stabilizing it as well. Think of it more like a shield that will keep the portal from expanding to uncontrollable levels. I believe this will fit in well with your own idea if we are going to keep such a massive portal open. If the idea is to keep it closed while not in use, then I have to add that someone with the ability to speak in the ancient dragon tongue will be necessary in order to activate each glyph once more.

Enclosed are my notes on the creation of the portal from start to finish, both the failed experiments as well as those that worked using various spheres of magic.

PS. your drawing made me giggle.

Yuka's hand writing was so ridiculously fancy, and more than just a few of her i's were dotted with a tiny heart. Once the ink had dried, Miyuka sent the letter and a copy of all her notes with the mail fae and realized, she'd have to call another in order to deliver such a long list of notes and diagrams.
miyuka

Re: Letter from Umbara to HM and AHM

Postby Eraelabryn on Wed May 09, 2012 5:37 pm

Fae's brought her the gift, the way hands unfurled and broke the seal so she could read what was within, the slightest hint of smile dancing over the lips of the Necromancer as she sat down to ponder over it.

Darling Miyuka,

Thank you for that, it is not often said, that I personally prefer my face in the postion it is, upon my skull, and hold some regard for the flesh that wraps the bone.

Delicious that you have been able to combine such magics, and not turn the world as we know it inside out. The explaination is more then sufficent. Are there enough with the knowledge of the ancient tongues to be on hand, to serve opening it once closed?

Thank you for the notes, and I am glad my artwork was so impressive. I especially enjoyed the mermaid. Her nipples seemed a bit off however, but that is another matter all together, I think my quill was tired.

Whatever is needed, merely send word and I will see to providing it. However my dark hands can aide, it will be done, for this is for the Glory of the Empire itself and thus our own.

~Eraelabryn
Eraelabryn
Op
Op

Return to Unigo