In Times of War

Brief notes about things that are being talked about at the Inn. Not to provide OOC knowledge but events that happened in the open and which other characters could overhear as public gossip. Does not replace the newspaper.

In Times of War

Postby Stormbringer on Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:13 pm

With further attacks by the Emerald Guard, a possible move southwards by the Empire and other unspecified threats that may appear, the Emperor finds the lack of a definite structure to the army unsettling. This may have also been exacerbated by the apparent rivalry between Guards and Valencian troops. Either way he decides that a formal arrangement needs laying out for the future.

Imperial Decree

While the present arrangements are quite adequate to maintain order within the Empire, the lack of a formal pre-arranged structure to defense from outside threats has often resulted in confusion and a lack of coherent response. Luck should not play a part in maintaining the integrity of our borders or indeed, in expanding them. So with immediate effect the following will apply:

The IG are the full-time, fully trained soldiery of the Imperium. As such they have the experience in working as units and working within a stable command structure, as well as having an ability to work on their own initiative. While their normal work remains the protection of Imperial interests on a local scale, when larger threats exist, they have the structure and training to form the focal point of a larger army.

From this, it follows that, when called upon by the Emperor:

- Nobles and others who hold their own troops with the Emperor's permission will send those troops and place them under the overall control of the IG Commander

- Such troops will either retain their structure as individual units if large enough, or be placed under the command of IG Captains

- Nobles troops who form individual units will have their leader considered to be of equal rank to an IG Captain for the duration

- Levies (individual citizens) will also be placed under the command of IG Captains, as will accompanying healers and camp followers

- The IG Commander, IG Captains and individual unit Captains will form a headquarters staff to decide policy

- The IG Commander will have the ability to organise training exercises so that an IG force combined with irregulars gains practice in working together

This applies to naval and aerial units as well as land based ones.

Stormbringer
--------------
Charm’d magic casements, opening on the foam
Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn

(John Keats)
Check your baggage at the door and bring some magic through your
window onto the world of Belariath
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Re: In Times of War

Postby Cangelosi on Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:16 pm

Shortly after the Imperial Decree, a messenger dressed in red arrived at the palace. Bearing the markings of the Saraphan Duchys of the Northern Marches, the tired girl shivers as she gains audience with one of the Imperial Guard captains, to whom she hands an important communique:

To the Exalted Emperor and those who have the pleasure of His confidence,

I apologize first and foremost for the haste of this message. Word of your recent decrees travel fast to my ancestral home of St Eva. If only news from here traveled as fast to your palace!

I am not normally one to speak frankly on matters of Imperial security as I held rank in the Saraphan court. Recent events involving the Emerald Guard has drastically changed that. I had discovered that several members of the ruling Saraphan council, including the current selectman Duke Gontlet, had diverted a sizable amount of money and material to both the Guard and other bandit groups operating within Valencia. I have instructed this messenger to attest to the allegations and provide you with further proof of Saraphan misconduct.

On discovery of this plot against the Imperial territories, I have resigned my post as Diplomatic Representative and have forfeited my family estate. By the time you read this, I hope to be back within Nanthalion, preferably with a few Saraphan who still show loyalty to the Imperial Edict and remember the mercy shown to them during the annexation of Valencia.

Though it pains me to have to turn my back upon the Marches, the land where I was born and raised, I find that the Lady Syune has given me this opportunity to finally demonstrate my loyalty to you, Emperor. I ask for your permission to raise troops to campaign in the Northern Marches against Duke Gontlet and his fellow co-conspirators. I am aware that I hold no Imperial title or credentials to currently warrant the mustering of a proper detachment, so it may fall to task that I would seek position in the Imperial Guard. If that is impossible considering my reputation (I am told that Lord Infernis is still convinced that the Sarqphan Duchy doesn't exist), I would wish to ask for the assistance of a Guard officer to oversee this minor operation while I serve as advisor. Whatever you may choose, Emperor, know that there are still those loyal to you in the North.

I hope I will be able to discuss this in your prescence soon, but until that time, please know that I stand ready to serve the greater good the Empire provides. Ishtar and Syune watch over thee.

Your faithful servant,
Morgannus Drakewing
-post presented by the actual mun of characters Morgan Drakewing and Arnoch Bretail-
Cangelosi
Adept
Adept

Postby Erik_Northram on Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:46 am

<Looks over the decree thinking to himself as he lets his eyes scan over the words. The wolven would lean back in his chair placing the paper down on his desk. A hand would be brought to his chin rubbing it as he considers what is happening. Turning he would rise walking to the window of his office on the top floor of the VEGA headquarters looking out over the land before him.>
If somebody tries to kill you....you try and kill them right back.
Trust me my capacity for mayhem is undiminished.
Erik_Northram
Novice
Novice

Postby Stormbringer on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:32 pm

Cangelosi wrote:Shortly after the Imperial Decree, a messenger dressed in red arrived at the palace. Bearing the markings of the Saraphan Duchys of the Northern Marches, the tired girl shivers as she gains audience with one of the Imperial Guard captains, to whom she hands an important communique:

To the Exalted Emperor and those who have the pleasure of His confidence,

I apologize first and foremost for the haste of this message. Word of your recent decrees travel fast to my ancestral home of St Eva. If only news from here traveled as fast to your palace!

I am not normally one to speak frankly on matters of Imperial security as I held rank in the Saraphan court. Recent events involving the Emerald Guard has drastically changed that. I had discovered that several members of the ruling Saraphan council, including the current selectman Duke Gontlet, had diverted a sizable amount of money and material to both the Guard and other bandit groups operating within Valencia. I have instructed this messenger to attest to the allegations and provide you with further proof of Saraphan misconduct.

On discovery of this plot against the Imperial territories, I have resigned my post as Diplomatic Representative and have forfeited my family estate. By the time you read this, I hope to be back within Nanthalion, preferably with a few Saraphan who still show loyalty to the Imperial Edict and remember the mercy shown to them during the annexation of Valencia.

Though it pains me to have to turn my back upon the Marches, the land where I was born and raised, I find that the Lady Syune has given me this opportunity to finally demonstrate my loyalty to you, Emperor. I ask for your permission to raise troops to campaign in the Northern Marches against Duke Gontlet and his fellow co-conspirators. I am aware that I hold no Imperial title or credentials to currently warrant the mustering of a proper detachment, so it may fall to task that I would seek position in the Imperial Guard. If that is impossible considering my reputation (I am told that Lord Infernis is still convinced that the Sarqphan Duchy doesn't exist), I would wish to ask for the assistance of a Guard officer to oversee this minor operation while I serve as advisor. Whatever you may choose, Emperor, know that there are still those loyal to you in the North.

I hope I will be able to discuss this in your prescence soon, but until that time, please know that I stand ready to serve the greater good the Empire provides. Ishtar and Syune watch over thee.

Your faithful servant,
Morgannus Drakewing

The reply is not long in finding it's way back since Stormbringer simply holds on to the messenger girl while he considers, naturally making sure she has something warm and filling before he sends her on the return journey.

Morgannus

I find myself touched by your loyalty to the empire though I have to confess myself to also be ignorant of this northern marsh you consider home. However, I do give you leave to approach either Davak of the Vegans or Ielenia of the Imperial Guards. They are both competent to assess this apparent source of funding of the Emerald Guard as well as the potential for diverting any remaining wealth where it belongs, in the Imperial treasury.

Regards
Stormbringer

PS: Nicely compliant messenger you sent. Perhaps there is potential for more than one type of reward by any who would choose to follow your directions?
--------------

(John Keats)
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Postby Phaing on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:33 am

To his Excellency, Emperor Stormbringer-

Having read your notice, I wanted to humbly submit some suggestions.
First of all, about this part;

While the present arrangements are quite adequate to maintain order within the Empire, the lack of a formal pre-arranged structure to defense from outside threats has often resulted in confusion and a lack of coherent response. Luck should not play a part in maintaining the integrity of our borders or indeed, in expanding them.

Would an enchanted communications system help with that? We have gates to travel instantly over great distances, why not a set of magical tools to allow our scouts and sentries to send messages instantly, and to multiple receivers?
a message spell is all very well and good, but how many warriors have that?

It also sounds as if Ships might be taken from Private hands and put into service of the Crown. Since I was about to buy one for myself, I'm more than a little interested in this.
From what I have seen and heard, there are three ways to go with this sort of thing;

1- Confiscation. Simple, but it tends to discourage people from investing.

2- Imperial subsidy; the Government pays a certain percentage of the cost of construction and maintenance, in exchange for being able to call upon said ship at any time for any purpose.

3- Naval Militia. Now, I hate to make things more complicated than they already are, but this might be worth looking into.
Ships are selected for the honor, and henceforth and attack on them would be considered an attack on the Crown. The owners must keep the ship in excellent maintenance and well staffed. The ship may be armed, perhaps having the heavy weapons disassembled and locked in the hold. These ships must spend 2-3 weeks per year taking part in Naval Manuvers which are scheduled well in advance. Compensation would normally be paid for such duty
In Time of War, these ships are naturally called to duty, along with Captain and crew.
They might also be called on to rescue people, smuggle spies, or other special duties.

And now that I have made my suggestions, all I can say is Thank You for your consideration and have a nice day.

Phaing of Fangore.
Phaing
Adept
Adept

Postby Stormbringer on Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:56 pm

Dear Phaing

Thanks for your suggestions.

In the first of them, I should point out that another advantage of having the Guards take the lead is that they all possess the message spell since it is a part of their equipment. This naturally gives them the ability to coordinate better than those without it.

Regarding ships, it is more likely that the Empire will offer the opportunity for individual ship owners to join the IMperial fleet for the duration of a war. The reward would either be in the form of a payment or a share of any resultant booty.

Obviously individual ship owners can offer more comprehensive services by contacting the IG Commander or Fleet Commander. Information about the actions and whereabouts of pirates will doubtless be most valuable of course.

Appreciating your comments

Stormbringer
--------------

(John Keats)
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Postby Cleothina on Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:19 pm

slowly walks along the paripet of the impressive dark stoned castle that was her home on her ice chilled land. She was no noble nor did she serve one despite that she had never officially resigned from her post as Shaka's champion - if hed return, she'd be there - yet despite this she recieved word of this news and the twisted mind inbetwixt those tipped ear's worked slowly through more then what this all meant, but what it could all mean later on. She knew L`aquera the firey bitch well enough to open a door to the ear of the Imperial Palace, and she was not unknown for her ability - but would it be enough?
She decides upon her plan of action in a definite manner as one who offen plays with the definity of death might tend to and pulls out a parchment, quill and vial of ink from her cloak as she made her way to the nearest table

Emporer of Belariath,
My name is Cleo'thina, former champion of the moriel death lord Shaka.
Word has reached my pointed ear of recent new's and I would have query as to what this new's of possible invasion either inwards or outwards might mean.
I would ask for I would make a offer that you will not recieve elsewhere - my castle on the border between the lands of old Belariath and Valencia as a place of tactical retreat in case of flanking by the current enemy or by any silent enemy that will use any battle on the far end in a opportunistic manner to enlarge its own territories. I have traveled Valencia enough to know that in case of sudden invasion it could be easily over run with no real points of fortification that could match the thick wall's of my abode that were built for nothing less then total war. From there, with resources coming in from Nanthalion a siege could be held indefinetly until soldiers could be spared for a counter offensive. I offer this to the empire.

Secondly, I offer a resource that will be valuable to your war effort unquestionably – myself.
I am war. I breathe it as I inhale the bile spewing from an enemies wound, I drink it as fleck’s of blood splatter upon my lips, I live it as I study with a blade and body till both break and shatter , and every word I have learnt to speak I first learned in a book of generals of old. I am a Warlady, and given command I could send myself hurling gleeful death at the hardest to reach targets.
I offer all this in no mock sense to try and garner pleasure through empty words of worship, but because there is little doubt that me and most of my kin would long of been killed or enslaved if not for this empire and so I will speak to you straight and tell you my interest in your kingdoms ability to survive and grow is selfish. There are no word’s praising your greatness or glory awaiting upon my lips.

Signed,
Cleothina of Silent Black Castle

She sent the letter on its way with a final seal added, handed to the nearest passing guardsman. She was taking a wager that this man whom she had never even spoken to was little for the way of polite compliment and much for result - pure unadulterated result
Cleothina
Expert
Expert

Postby Stormbringer on Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:04 pm

[OOC - Im just going to deny that i made that mistake. Yes, indeed]

A second letter reaches soon after, this time there is no long scroll of an answer but a small piece of parchment hidden under the courier's hat. The moriel obviously wanted to keep her dealings as far away from the public as possible. The courier, whom seems to be nothing more then a scared travaler, tries to leave the palace as soon as the letter is handed off and the confused man mummbles something about a red eyed cyclops, wanting to continue on as if a black cloak one day in the woods never stopped him for a word

I always plan, and then I always lead.
I find that it always aid's to stand in front of a group and make them feel that they need my presence there far more then I need their's. Many warrior's mutter about the impossible plan when laid upon them because they who devised it almost always get to hear of its success or probable failure from some lofty tent.
Once the one who chose the plan is in it as much as they are, they tend to trust even the borderline suicidal.
It also help's to be there if.. and when.. a plan needs to be changed to fit new situations. I have little else i could add.

As for Champion - there are few left worthy if my sword. That is all I can say on the matter.

I await your beckon for a proper meeting. The talk of war is best left on lips rather then paper as often as possible.

She left it unsigned, obviously just in case. Information was indeed power.
--------------

(John Keats)
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Postby Cleothina on Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:45 am

(Me thinks there is a problem with the MB..)
Cleothina
Expert
Expert

Postby Stormbringer on Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:53 pm

(Seems like it's been celebrating Christmas rather too hard. I'll try unscrambling it tomorrow)
--------------

(John Keats)
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Postby Stormbringer on Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:25 pm

(Well I don't know how the board got at the Christmas sherry but Cleo's reply somehow overwrote my original reply to her.

The short version is that the Empire accepts her offer and more than that, expects and assumes her cooperation since she lives within that Empire. So SB isn't exactly about to fall down with gratitude but he does invite Cleo to visit so he can assess how much of her wording is moriel pride and how much is justified)
--------------

(John Keats)
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Postby Cleothina on Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:29 pm

a brief letter arrives at the doors of the palace, marked directly from the emperor

Lord,
I request access to all of the branches of your forces, from the Imperials, to the army, to the navy.
Thus can i collect all the information scattered to the four winds and, like a prism, focus those varying lights into a single one.
Thus could I keep you fully updated directly from the front line and mayhap better see myself where I could be more.. useful.

If you are to answer the request, id need you scribes to write me something official so that your officers would know on who's behalf i come.

Signed,
The champion

The letter is left clear of her name.. she deemed it wiser in case the letter was lost. Acknowledgment that a single entity outside of the safety of the palace might be able to inquire valuable information of the highest sort, and then to name that entity was less then wise
Cleothina
Expert
Expert

Postby Stormbringer on Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:50 pm

The reply, which is equally brief, arrives at that dark castle on the border between Ilfirium and Valencia s day later

Cleothina

To have someone investigating the various branches directly on my behalf would be to imply that I don't trust Ielenia to be competent to lead a combined force, wouldn't it.

Take this letter to her as my request that you be seconded to her headquarters staff as an expert adviser for the duration of the coming war, and discuss with her how your many talents can be best employed to advantage.

Stormbringer
--------------

(John Keats)
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Postby MidniteFym on Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:26 am

the new reeve sat at her desk after meeting with Dowjin and finalizing the detail of the training in the arena and penned a message to the emperor. she sealed it with wax and her seal of roses and thorns then called a fae to carry this message to the palace

Dear Emperor
After getting your notice about the impending war and the need that common laymen and healers might be called to war, I have organized a way for these common folk to receive training in the arena. My hope is that when the time comes I can send people to you with a bit of training so they might be more an aid then a hindrance. All the cadets will be told that should the need arise they are to report to the head of the IG for further orders. This goes for the healers as well. I have talked to Dowjin and he has agreed to train any that want it looking out for 5 to 6 exceptional learners to serve as captains of sort and to help with further training. i will be paying for this service out of my own pocket with my hope that when the time comes we can fill your ranks even further. I would ask that the 5 chosen be allowed a bit of authority from the empire to help with crowd control and such. I understand if this is not possible. I will be sending the reports I get from Dowjin on to the IG commander so that she might be kept up to date on their progress. If you have any suggestions i would be grateful for the guidance should you choose to give it. As for the healers I will be talking to the assistant manager of the Healing House Gwyn to ask for her help in offering classes to our budding healers so that they might have skills to offer should they be needed.
You loyal Servant
Naidra the Reeve of Nanthalion
made by Me
MidniteFym
Adept
Adept

Postby Stormbringer on Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:03 pm

Naidra

It's good to see the townspeople receiving some training, not only for any potential war but also for their general ability to assist in such things as repelling raids upon Nanthalion and, of course, being able to protect themselves and their homes. Those who choose to volunteer will most likely be assigned to swell the ranks of units commanded by experienced IG Captains and Nobles so that they can receive some support from more experienced fighters rather than being left to sink or swim on their own, and such will be taken into account when the formations are decided.

Naturally there will also be a need for support services as well as fighters. Healers, cooks, artisans who can repair broken equipment, and camp followers will all find a place in rear of the army and this too will form a part of the organisation.

I look forward to hearing the results of your work at the scheduled war council meeting.

Thanks for your initiative at this significant period in the empire's future.
Stormbringer
--------------

(John Keats)
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Next

Return to IC News and Gossip