The Split in Tower Magic

General news from managers relating to OOC topics that affect a wide area of the game. Check the individual location forums for news relating to only one place.
Also news from artists and writers when their work is added to the site.

Moderator: Tehya

The Split in Tower Magic

Postby lyllamarie on Sun May 08, 2011 6:41 pm

The Split in Sphere Magic.

The Towers of Magic are going under a few changes, and to reflect that, some of the spell spheres are getting new drastic revision. How is this going to affect you? Well, for now, if you are a Necromancer or one of the Spheres’s affected, you will have a decision to make in the not too distant future. Do you want to be an Umbara, Unigo or Common Mage of your Class?

Once you choose, your available spell lists will reflect that choice – drawing from the ‘Common’ lists for all of that particular class, regardless of affiliation, and then branching off into either of the two Towers. As each sphere comes out, a post with the edited spells will be provided prior to the spells being added to the system. This is done so you can review what spells are moving to what branch, what spells you might be losing or gaining. If you have any questions involving the transition, please respond to this post. Any critique’s, questions on spell mechanics, etc please direct to the Spells and Magic Forum to save on clutter.

You will be given a week to two weeks time to get to know the spells that will be going live. Afterwards, a second announcement will be made when they are available and when the switch over begins. For now, a sneak peak of what will be occurring, and some answers to what we hope will be the most common questions.

Umbara Spells - Necromancer
Unigo Spells - Necromancer

Umbara Spells - Ice
Unigo Spells - Water

Umbara Spells - Smoke & Fire
Unigo Spells - Light & Fire

Umbara Spells - Lightning
Unigo Spells - Wind

Umbara Spells - Earth
Unigo Spells - Earth

FAQ’s:

Q: What if I don’t want to be affiliated with one particular tower of Magic?

A: Then your spell listing will draw from the ‘Common’ lists. You may find the number of spells available a bit less than if you had chosen a particular tower, but most of the basic and most OOB spells you will find under this particular branch.

Q: If I choose one tower, but I have some existing spells that are now from the opposing tower – what do I do? Or what if I choose to go the common path, and have spells from one of the towers now?

A: Anyone from the SS or Admin can help with deleting any conflicting spells, freeing up the spell slots to invest in new or existing spells you need.

Q: What other spheres will be going under this change? When?

A: Once Necromancer has acclimated to its transition, Water will follow then Fire, then Air and last Earth. No other spheres have been planned to go under this change at this time.

Q: Can’t I play both towers?

A: No, unfortunately once you have committed to a particular Tower, you will be barred from learning spells from the other Tower – this will be reflected not only ICly by Tower security, but OOCly as well.

Q: Once I’ve committed myself, but find IC I am better suited for another Tower or as a Rogue – then what?

A: There will be a 30 day time period to which you may switch your Tower or commitment without penalty. After wards, it will take a full reset and IC switches to provide the switch.

Q: There are spells now gone from the sphere, will I be getting a refund? What about the focus I have for those spells?

A: Any spell you previously had but now is gone will be available as a free slot under your character edit. In addition, if the spell has to be deleted from your list, that will free up a slot as well. If you purchased any enchantment such as focus for a spell you no longer have, the SS will provide you an option to switch the enchantment to a new spell in your repertoire. This will require Op or SS manager approval.

Q: Once I've made the decision, how will you 'know' what spells, and how do you keep me or the SS from choosing the wrong one's?

A: Once the split has occurred and you've made a commitment to either Umbara or Unigo, you will be provided a key which will distinguish you from others. This will work as a prerequisite when adding spells or when purchasing. This does not mean however you or your SS seller should be lax in double checking!

Q: Why aren't you doing Arcane Sphere - or all spheres?

A: Right now it's felt that Advanced Elemental and Necromancer fit the bill and make the most sense in terms of what group of magical users would best 'appreciate' the split. We will be looking at other sphere's as we revise and edit them, but generally unless a good reason or a majority of the player base push for such a change - and provide valid reason 'why', we might not see other Sphere's go through this change. It's nothing against your particular sphere, but some Sphere's wouldn't generally benefit from such change.

Q: If I choose Umbara, what spells do I have access to? Same if I choose Unigo?

A: If you choose Umbara, you will have access to Umbara and Common Spells. If you choose Unigo, you will have access to Unigo and Common spells.

Q: What IC justification or SL is going on for this? How will you explain the loss of certain spells?

A: To break it down briefly, Umbara and it's researchers have been working diligently to make it's Tower rise above the other, fierce competition between the two as a result. This culminates to new spells being pushed out, but not shared. In reciprocation, Unigo has seeking it's own path of magic to provide it's members, and while Unigo is usually of a mind to share knowledge, it has developed it's own brand of tower-specific. In the long run, some magic might be shredded from the ether and taken from those whom already know it, while some will give up spells willingly to commit to a specific side. Rest assured, everything IC will work to make sure the OOC portion is in synch. :)
The player of
LyllaMarie{SB} || Sutara || Ebilese || Hellian Cros || Kuma || Imogene
lyllamarie
High Council
High Council

Re: The Split in Tower Magic

Postby lyllamarie on Tue May 17, 2011 7:20 pm

Schedule of Sphere's:

This schedule is staggered to allow for people to get informed FIRST and to raise any concerns or questions Dev might have missed in the process. Please be advised Class resets based solely on these changes may be denied until ALL classes reviewed have been put up. We don't want you to change now, only to find the class you're going to has changed too and you'd prefer to come back to what you originally had.

Please make sure all Spell questions go into its proper forum, we appreciate the feedback! IF you are of a class whose spells are being changed, and need a specific 'key' for either unigo, or umbara. Please either see the SS, or see Ehlanna or myself. Keep in mind if the particular sphere you want is 'not' updated, the 'key' may not be available yet - so just slip us your name so we can update you when updates occur.

May 20th. Water Spells are listed for Player perusal.
May 28th Water Spells are updated.

June 3rd. Fire Spells are listed for Player perusal.
June 11th Fire Spells are updated.

June 17th Air Spells are listed for Player perusal.
June 25th Air Spells are updated.

TBA Earth spells are listed for Player perusal.
TBA Earth spells are updated.
The player of
LyllaMarie{SB} || Sutara || Ebilese || Hellian Cros || Kuma || Imogene
lyllamarie
High Council
High Council

Postby CallieO on Sun May 22, 2011 7:26 am

When a character chooses a Tower key, will that key be viewable automatically on their bio? It would provide people with a quick look as to which type of magic a character prefers to use.
"If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe."
--Dr. Beverly Crusher

Player of Callie Volopa, Viaa, Auric Lightwing, Brian Perano, Erin Tarcata and Aimee Sarasiné

CallieO
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Adonai on Sun May 22, 2011 9:08 am

CallieO wrote:When a character chooses a Tower key, will that key be viewable automatically on their bio? It would provide people with a quick look as to which type of magic a character prefers to use.

The key, should be a signet given out and a spell placed in your spell inventory, at least for the necros.
Let the warriors clamor after gods of blood and thunder; love is hard, harder than steel and thrice as cruel. It is as inexorable as the tides, and life and death alike follow in its wake.
Adonai
Expert
Expert

Postby Ishtori on Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:56 pm

It's been over 2 and a half months since the earth sphere was put up for avaliation for the public (which I actually lost the links when the PC was formated) but since then no one heard anything else about the sphere. I was wondering if there would be any news for the players soon.
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out
And under the ashes of infinity
Hope, scarred and bleeding breathed it's last."
Ishtori
Expert
Expert

Postby lyllamarie on Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:19 pm

we're pushing for the finish line, it's just been a bit stubborn.
lyllamarie
High Council
High Council

Postby Ishtori on Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:43 pm

Alright thanks for the timely answer :)
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out
And under the ashes of infinity
Hope, scarred and bleeding breathed it's last."
Ishtori
Expert
Expert

Postby lyllamarie on Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:28 pm

Earth Spells are going up as of October 11th.

Feedback will be taken into account up to October 25th, at which point these spells will go Live.

Thank you!
lyllamarie
High Council
High Council

Return to Other OOC News