The Recipe Thread!

Chat about anything you find interesting outside this game world.

Moderator: windira

The Recipe Thread!

Postby CallieO on Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:02 am

Here is a thread to share food recipes! Me first:

My Macaroni and Cheese Recipe

Ingredients:

8 oz. shredded cheese (I prefer colby jack)
2 cups elbow macaroni noodles
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups milk
Salt
Pepper

Instructions:

Boil and strain the noodles, keeping the noodles in the strainer. In the same pot used to cook the noodles, add the butter and flour on high heat. As the butter melts, stir it into the flour. Slowly add the milk. The flour, butter, and milk will combine to form a yellow, semi-solid thickening agent called a roux. Continue to slowly add milk to the roux. Eventually, the amount of milk will overtake the solid elements, and become a white sauce.

Upon adding the last of the milk, add the shredded cheese, stir vigorously, and add salt and pepper to taste. Add the noodles, stir vigorously, and serve. Serves four.
"If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe."
--Dr. Beverly Crusher

Player of Callie Volopa, Viaa, Auric Lightwing, Brian Perano, Erin Tarcata and Aimee Sarasiné

CallieO
Predominate
Predominate

Re: The Recipe Thread!

Postby Stormbringer on Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:35 pm

Makes me hungry!
--------------
Charm’d magic casements, opening on the foam
Of perilous seas, in faery lands forlorn

(John Keats)
Check your baggage at the door and bring some magic through your
window onto the world of Belariath
Stormbringer
High Council
High Council

Postby Wadeywade on Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:10 pm

Bona fide Texas style Chili
(4 generations of Texans worked on this recipe)
Two cans of beans (type varies by meat)
1 1/2- 2 lbs. meat, cubed (see below)
One half of an onion, finely minced
(Also you can add fresh chopped cubanos, jalapenos or bell peppers, depending on personal taste and heat desired)
-
One can tomato paste
One can tomato sauce
One half can, green chiles (small can)
OR
One can tomato paste
One can ro-tel tomatos with chiles
-
As to the meat and kind of beans, pork is best with light red kidney or pink beans, chicken is best with white beans or pinto beans, and venison or game meat (wild caught) is best with dark red kidney or black beans. You can experiment, of course, but these pairing are bona fide tried and true..

The first step is to prepare your meat. Brown and season the meat, put it in a crock pot along with the tomato sauce/paste and some of the liquid from the can of beans. (This acts as a natural thickener though it will still not be thick, see below)
Let that cook for about an hour. Then add the beans, fresh peppers and onions, let the flavors marry for about half an hour, stirring every so often..

Now comes the seasonings!

Garlic powder
Black pepper (pinch)
White pepper (pinch)
Mild chili powder
Oregano
Cilantro (small pinch)
comino powder (it has an english name, but I dont remember it. Ill edit it in later)
If you want it spicier, may I suggest:
Ground chipolte powder
cayenne
Crushed red pepper
To whatever heat is desired. Stir completely mixing the spices as well as possible. Now, let that slow cook for about another two to three hours, on a low heat. Serves best with cornbread, though thats also optional.
An hour or so before finish, add three pinches of flour, stirring until any lumps are forked out.. this thickens it a bit and gives the chili body. If you cannot use flour, try a few pinched of corn starch and if you cannot use that, try a pinch or two or arrowroot powder.
Personal reccomendation:

ive tried every configuration there is.. my personal favorite is pork chili with light red kidney beans, using Ro-tel and going very easy in the spices. Its not a spicy chili at all, but has alot of flavor..also, I like black bean and beef (thats not in the list but it is workable) using the tomato paste, tomato sauce, and cubano peppers. I sauteed the peppers with the meat and onions, and that was one of the best batches I ever made. Though chicken, pork, beef, lamb, goat, deer, turkey or any kind of meat will work, one must try each out and tune the recipe as suited to the meat.
"There are no strings on me." Leonard Snart
-
“it gladdens me to know Odin prepares for a feast, soon I will be drinking ale from curved horns! I will not enter Odins Hall with fear, I shall wait for my sons to join me.. and when they do, I shall bask in their tales of triumph! the Aesir shall welcome me. my death comes without apology! I welcome the Valkeries, to SUMMON ME HOME!”-Ragnar Lodbrok
Wadeywade
Expert
Expert

Postby Tehya on Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:03 pm

This is a nice idea for recipes. That chili sounds good, and the perfect weather for both recipes.
I have been looking for one for potato pancakes, but everything I have tried from online has been a big flop.

Anyone have a recipe?
Tehya

Postby Akaton on Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:23 pm

Tehya its crazy you asked that. My grandmother just sent me her recipe for them.

Potato Pancakes
3 cups grated Potatoes (press them dry in a kitchen towel)
1 small onion grated
1 tsp. Salt
2 Tblsp. Flour
1/4 tsp. Baking powder
2 eggs, beaten

Mix all together in bowl. Preheat skillet with small layer of oil. Drop potato mixture by spoonful and flatten the mounds. Brown to crisp on both sides.
Akaton
Expert
Expert

Postby CallieO on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:05 am

My Cranberry Sauce Recipe!

8 oz. fresh or frozen cranberries
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup orange marmalade

Open the bag of cranberries into a strainer. Wash the cranberries and remove blemished berries. In a 2-quart saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Stir in cranberries; heat to boiling again. Simmer uncovered 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cranberries pop. Stir in marmalade. Serve sauce warm or chilled.
"If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe."
--Dr. Beverly Crusher

Player of Callie Volopa, Viaa, Auric Lightwing, Brian Perano, Erin Tarcata and Aimee Sarasiné

CallieO
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Wadeywade on Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:15 pm

Potato pancakes? Ugh! But to each their own, just cause I dont like em doesnt mean theyre bad. Honestly! Thats not what I mean..
now, to define WHAT Im talking about, its where you take powdered potatoes, and make a batter and fry em like a pancake, they literally look like pancakes; however, people hash brown potatoes, add eggs and someing else, and fry that and call it by the same name. The former sucks, the latter.. not so bad! I wish I knew how to make the latter but I rely on my wife for that, like she relies on me to make good chili and such. (Btw.. we also tag team chicken enchiladas.. if my wife will give it up Ill post the recipe)
So, if you find a recipe for the hash browned, egg infused recipe, Id love to have a copy. If its that powdered potatoes thing ya can keep it. (Made dad made me eat ose as a kid.. I cant stand the thought let alone the sight..)
I know. What a weird post! But what did you expect of the fourth Warner. ;)
-
“it gladdens me to know Odin prepares for a feast, soon I will be drinking ale from curved horns! I will not enter Odins Hall with fear, I shall wait for my sons to join me.. and when they do, I shall bask in their tales of triumph! the Aesir shall welcome me. my death comes without apology! I welcome the Valkeries, to SUMMON ME HOME!”-Ragnar Lodbrok
Wadeywade
Expert
Expert

Postby Wadeywade on Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:16 pm

Oooh a hashbrowned potato pancake recipe right there in the thread!! Ty Akaton.
-
Wadeywade
Expert
Expert

Postby Tehya on Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:59 pm

Thank so much Akaton we will try it this weekend and see if its a winner. I noticed baking powder was in your recipe and the one I tried didn't have it. Crosses fingers.

Deadpool they are good if crispy on the outside with sour cream on top.
Tehya

Postby Goldentiger on Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:57 pm

Low-Calorie Spiced Tea

3/4 cup sugar-free iced tea mix
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar-free orange-flavored drink mix
1/4 cup sugar-free lemonade-flavored drink mix
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
Irontail, Rita Highlander Hitar, Rhain Stormcloud, Iriam, Canthia, Mayuki, Karatha, Rosa
Goldentiger
Expert
Expert

Postby Goldentiger on Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:10 am

Blackberry Cheesecake Bars
9x13 pan; non-stick foil

Crust:

Non-stick foil
One 11-ounce box vanilla wafers
1/2 cup pecans
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Filling:

three 8-ounce packages cream cheese
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream

Topping:

4 cups fresh blackberries
1 cup sugar
1tablespoon cornstarch

Susan`s Famous Chili

Ingredients

1lb ground beef
2 cans Bush`s Chili Beans-Hot
3-32 oz. cans of tomato sauce
1 Thsp Chili Powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp each oregano, basil and any other desired herbs
1/2 tsp red pepper powder
1 tsp cumin
4 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 pepper

Instructions

1. Brown ground beef, drain
2. Add beans & tomato sauce, stir
3. Add remaining ingredients
4. Simmer at least 15 minutes
5. Add more chili powder & herbs to taste
6. Serve with a sprinkle of shredded cheese

Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup sliced carrots
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/2 diced onion
8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
3 cups egg noodles
1/2 teaspoon dry basil
1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 black pepper

Instructions

1. Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat
2. Add the carrots, celery, and onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes
3. Add the chicken broth, shredded chicken, noodles, basil, oregano, salt, garlic powder, and pepper and stir to combine
4. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes before serving

Cheesy Ham & Potato Soup

Ingredients

butter 2 tbsp
Carrots, diced. 3/4 cup
Celery, diced, 1/2 cup
Onion. diced, 1/4 cup
Russet potatoes, diced, 4 cups
Chicken broth, 4 cups
Ham, cooked and cubed, 16 oz
Corn, 1 can
Half and half, 1 cup
Shredded cheese. 1 1/2 cup

Instructions

1. In a large pot, warm butter over medium/high heat
2. Add diced carrots, celery and onion
3. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes
4. Add diced potatoes, corn, ham and chicken broth
5. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and allow to cook covered for 10-15 minutes until potatoes are tender
6. Reduce heat to low and mix in half and half and shredded cheese
7. Stir constantly until cheese in melted and well combined with soup
8. Serve and enjoy
Irontail, Rita Highlander Hitar, Rhain Stormcloud, Iriam, Canthia, Mayuki, Karatha, Rosa
Goldentiger
Expert
Expert

Re: The Recipe Thread

Postby Wadeywade on Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:45 pm

Destruction of all that is Holy (IE Wades uber-nacho casserole)
In a glass casserole dish:
Start with a base of corn chips or tortilla chips (I use plain doritos or chili cheese fritos, sometimes both in different layers)
Add! Cheese, then a layer of cooked taco meat (see below)
Then add A layer of homemade texas chili (see above or subsitute your favorite canned chili)
Then Add a layer of black olives, if desired, chopped onions, if desired, chopped garlic, if desired. If you so desire all of the above, mix them before hand and let them sit in the refrigerator for 20 minutes before adding to the layers.

Try to make the layers thin but not too thin, and repeat until you are about a half inch from The top pf the dish.
Bake this monster at 300 degrees for about ten minutes or until heated completely through (a candy or meat thermometer works good for this.)

Once finished, top with a light layer of cheese and crushed blue corn chips. Best served hot, but tasty even cold!

TACO MEAT
---
1/2 lb ground beef, ground chuck, or if you wanna be fancypants, ground round
1 packet of taco seasoning
Spices (see below)

Prepare the taco meat according to the directions on the seasoning packet; to that you can add (optional):
2 pinches black pepper
4 pinches cumin (comino)
1 pinch basil
2 pinches salt (sea salt is good, i use smoked sea salt but any kind will do.)
1 pinch chipolte powder
1 pinch dried ground jalapeno peppar
1 pinch mild chili pepper powder
1 pinch cayenne

Turn the meat to a low temperature before addig the last spices, which are best mixed before adding for a uniform mixing into the meat. Mix it slow! Trust me it matters.
-
Wadeywade
Expert
Expert

Postby Vexalicious on Sun May 28, 2017 7:00 pm

Comino Powder is Cumin in English, Wade and anyone wondering for the Chilli recipe
Vexalicious
Novice
Novice

White Castle Slider Copycat Recipe

Postby CallieO on Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:09 pm

Ingredients:

1 lb. hamburger meat
2/3 cup of onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 eggs
1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
1 package dinner rolls or slider rolls
Nonstick spray
Cheddar cheese (either sliced or shredded)

You'll also need a 13x9 baking pan and a drink straw.

Mix hamburger in bowl with salt, pepper, bread crumbs, and eggs.
Thoroughly mix meat.
Spray 13x9 baking pan.
Finely chop onion and spread evenly over baking pan.
Spoon portions of hamburger on top of onions. Evenly spoon meat around top of onions to cover entire pan.
With a straw, poke holes close and evenly over all the meat. This allows onion juice to rise through the meat.

Place in pre-heated oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes. Remove to add cheese if you want it.
Place back in oven until cheese is melted, about 1-2 minutes.
Remove and cut into squares the size of your rolls.
--Dr. Beverly Crusher

CallieO
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Serena on Fri May 11, 2018 12:44 am

Corny Mac-n-Cheese

One whole cup of corn, drained
One whole cup of creamed corn

Using one of the cans from the corn, as a measuring device:
One cup of milk
One cup of elbow macaroni
One cup of cubed Velveeta cheese

Half measuring cup of butter/margarine. Heat up for easy mixing.

Mix all together into a pan, cover, bake for about 45 min at 320 degrees. Mix occasionally during baking. Will thicken as it cools.
Theressa Annaert, Pledged Lifelong Bondmate to Allivia Annaert and Lady of the Annaert Household
Player of Theressa, Kytte{Naya}, Vonni and Remlie.
Serena
Predominate
Predominate

Next

Return to Beyond Belariath