Familiar Submission: Slime

Place to learn news about the magic shop, and discuss developments. Not for magic dev generally, use the proper forum for that.

Moderator: Naomh

Familiar Submission: Slime

Postby The Mercenary Abby on Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:19 pm

Slime

Description:
The slime literally just looks like an oversized blob of water or jelly. While the wild slimes can grow up to 2 feet tall, the slimes taken through bonding can only be as tall as 1 foot. They normally come in shades of cyan, but they can come in a multitude of colors – in the wild, this usually depends on their main diet food. They have no visible eyes, ears, or a mouth, however but the ones bonded through magic can mimic the shapes of many things – though not for too long of a time. Also, within their jelly-like bodies, there is their core, which is the size of a grape fruit. They can also squeeze through any tight place as long as there is room for it to do so, making it a favorite for those hoping to explore through their ‘eyes’.

Abilities:
The slime shares very little from their wild counterparts in the sense that they cannot hope to defend themselves, let alone inflict any harm whatsoever. What they can be used, however, is to spy or explore places that are not normally accessible by normal people (for example, squeezing through a small hole or a tight space to see what is on the other side of a room).

Aside from that, one can use it to help with household chores: cleaning messes, getting rid of garbage, clean wounds, or even use it to cool people during a hot summer day. They can also 'disappear' by blending in to their background.

Background:
The slime is a creature that normally dwells deep within ruins and caves and they are not known to hold a shred of intelligence whatsoever. Believed to have started from a magical experiment gone wrong, the first slime ever seen in history escaped through cracks and pipes; the next time one was seen, they had reproduced but no one truly knows how many of them exist today. In the wild, their instinct appears to solely focus on feeding and reproducing, so it is common that they tend to be found in groups. Their movements are generally slow and anyone with two legs can easily outrun them, though adventurers with the worst of luck would find being surrounded by them horrifying, less they find themselves in their nest where their ‘Queen’ rests – then they would wish they had never started adventuring to begin with.

Generally slow, they do appear to be able to move slightly faster when they move on or in a wet terrain; speaking of which, they instinctively approach any wet surface or source of water for them to absorb. It is believed they are blind and that they sense people through their body heat and through vibration on the ground. What is truly known is that they are weak to extreme temperatures: which is why they would rather prefer to stay in places where the scorching heat from the sun or the unforgiving cold of winter cannot touch them. Magic also seems to deal considerable amount of damage to them compared to strikes from a sword.

This brings up the other interesting trait of the slime: they can manipulate their shape in many ways, even going as far as to be able to split into two or more and yet remain alive. But, while it is popularly believed that a slime splitting into more than one would mean having to deal with more than one sentient slime, it is only one of them – the one that still holds their core. To regain their original shape, they need to absorb the pieces they have separated from or by absorbing enough amounts of fluid. But, the core is their weakest spot and any attack that directly strikes it is a sure way to kill it.

Their diet consists of literally anything they can find: plants, meat, dead bodies, and even metal! Mithril and stone are so far the two things proven that they cannot digest at all. To ‘eat’ anything, however, a slime needs to envelope their food within their bodies to begin digesting it. And slimes take a very long time to ‘eat’ anything, but they can last a very long time with just minimal food as long as they have a source of water. Another interesting thing about the slime is that, if they do lack access to either food or water, they can enter a hibernation-like state – some slimes have been known to ‘revive’ even after many years of inactivity. One can tell a slime is dead if their bodies melt into a puddle, eventually dissolving into nothing.

It is only through magic bonding that these creatures seem to gain any sign of intelligence though: a slime bonded to an individual through magic will start gaining thought and the ability to learn. A magically-bonded slime can even start mimicking the shape of a person or an object, though they are not capable of growing anymore beyond their usual size. A slime bonded through magic will also lose all its ability to reproduce and their need to feed is lessened, which makes any risk of them being a threat as near non-existent. They can be used to absorb the blood from armor or from the body to clean, or their bodies can be used to help relax during a hot day.
"The best thing in life is finding someone who knows all of your flaws, mistakes, and weaknesses and still thinks you're completely amazing."
The Mercenary Abby
Predominate
Predominate

Re: Familiar Submission: Slime

Postby The Mercenary Abby on Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:42 pm

This was brought up in the OOC Channel not too long ago, but is it true that there is a hold on approving new familiars?
"The best thing in life is finding someone who knows all of your flaws, mistakes, and weaknesses and still thinks you're completely amazing."
The Mercenary Abby
Predominate
Predominate

Postby The Mercenary Abby on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:35 pm

Sorry if this is redundant or stepping over boundaries for this submission, but I was wondering if there has been any update on this? Or at the very least comments about whether or not there is anything I could/should change or elaborate on the information?
The Mercenary Abby
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Naomh on Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:27 pm

The only update I can give is: Dammit I knew I've been forgetting something.

I'll talk to others when I get the chance.

Also, I know you said they have no features but...
Avatar courtesy of: Lucky/Isilindil : http://belariath.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136186#p136186
Team member of: Dev, SI, Quest, Ops
Manager of: Sorcerous Sanctuary (Anaya), Unigo (Headmistress - Keani), Lodge of Strength (Head Priestess - Robyn)
Assistant manager of: Thallis (Lady of the Azure Isle - Naomh), Sutara's house (Majordomo - North), Arena (Records Keeper - Kateri)
Naomh
Predominate
Predominate

Postby The Mercenary Abby on Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:03 pm

Hahaha xD I won't lie: I don't play a lot of video games but I know about that particular slime and writing this submission down did make me think about them, but aside from that I have little knowledge of what they are like in the games.

I was actually inspired by a manga and from reading random discussion threads.

And hope to hear from you soon!

Also I was thinking more along the lines of:
The Mercenary Abby
Predominate
Predominate

Return to Sorcerous Sanctuary