Suggestion for Discovery in Dethsiris

Questions and suggestions that don't fit anywhere else in this area.

Moderators: Stormbringer, Ehlanna

Suggestion for Discovery in Dethsiris

Postby Kable Syranos on Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:23 am

The seizing and exploration of Dethsiris offers the opportunity for the discovery of something that could add some balance, flavor, and RP possibilities to the game: A new rare material I'm tentatively referring to as "Darkwood."

As it stands, wood can only hold one enchantment. This limits the capabilities of certain wooden weapons, along with limiting what is possible with other wooden items created. Darkwood would essentially be to wood what mithril is to steel, allowing either 2 or 3 enchantments (based on whatever is considered fair) in addition to any other innate effects or traits it is deemed that it should have.

Just some ideas for possible Darkwood effects:

Mending: Broken darkwood could mend itself naturally over X time as long as all pieces are placed together.

Copying: For those who like to spar. A Darkwood "practice" weapon could have the ability to copy all enchantments from a likewise steel/mithril weapon for X amount of time (Maybe use-able only in the arena).

Extra hard to work with: Perhaps darkwood is a difficult material to use, requiring certain skills or skill levels to create things with it.

+1 to ATK value: Darkwood weapons could come with the same +1 to ATK value that Mithril weapons have, with the same distinction that one enchantment is always of that type.

Extra or Lessened Enchantment cost: Depending on what made the most sense and balance, darkwood could benefit from the same cheaper enchantments of mithril, or the opposite effect.

Anyways, just an idea I had that I keep coming back to, wanted to share and see if anyone had any opinions.
Kable Syranos
Novice
Novice

Re: Suggestion for Discovery in Dethsiris

Postby Naomi on Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:34 am

I like the idea except for the "Copying". Otherwise i think it would definitely be something found in Dethsiris.
Because I am one with the taker of life, and I love pain and suffering, misery and death as it loves me. These are things I am not willing to give up, if death is release then let it never find me so I may live long and suffer much.
Naomi
Expert
Expert

Postby The Mercenary Abby on Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:51 am

Kable Syranos wrote:Mending: Broken darkwood could mend itself naturally over X time as long as all pieces are placed together.
Would this be like an inherent Mend spell? I like the idea... EXCEPT that the Mend spell does not work on enchanted items. Unless this is supposed to be something unique only to this darkwood material.

Kable Syranos wrote:Copying: For those who like to spar. A Darkwood "practice" weapon could have the ability to copy all enchantments from a likewise steel/mithril weapon for X amount of time (Maybe use-able only in the arena).
Yeah, probably wouldn't work here. BUT perhaps it might be the only way to allow Practice Weapons to be enchanted as long as they are made of darkwood? Regular Practice Weapons cannot be enchanted.

Kable Syranos wrote:Extra hard to work with: Perhaps darkwood is a difficult material to use, requiring certain skills or skill levels to create things with it.
Maybe a Ranked Skill in working with it like Metal Smith, Mithril Smith, and Valecite Smith, sure. But to wield it? No skill for that except racial or class reasons. Like the Crystal Sword.

Kable Syranos wrote:Extra or Lessened Enchantment cost: Depending on what made the most sense and balance, darkwood could benefit from the same cheaper enchantments of mithril, or the opposite effect.
Not sure where I'd stand on this yet.
"The best thing in life is finding someone who knows all of your flaws, mistakes, and weaknesses and still thinks you're completely amazing."
The Mercenary Abby
Predominate
Predominate

Postby Kable Syranos on Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:44 pm

Naomi wrote:I like the idea except for the "Copying". Otherwise i think it would definitely be something found in Dethsiris.

The copying effect was just a fun idea I had, not something necessary to the core concept of the material, but something I wanted to add in for debate or to spark other ideas.

The Mercenary Abby wrote:Would this be like an inherent Mend spell? I like the idea... EXCEPT that the Mend spell does not work on enchanted items. Unless this is supposed to be something unique only to this darkwood material.

I had thought of it as being something unique to darkwood.

The Mercenary Abby wrote:Yeah, probably wouldn't work here. BUT perhaps it might be the only way to allow Practice Weapons to be enchanted as long as they are made of darkwood? Regular Practice Weapons cannot be enchanted.

The intent I had with the effect was to enable players to use a less sharp and pointy version of their main weapons while maintaining use of enchantments etc. for RP purposes in sparring. That was my reason for the thought that it could be restricted to only the arena. In the end, the copying effect might be too much of a stretch to make sense in the world than the payoff in terms of game enrichment is worth.

The Mercenary Abby wrote:Maybe a Ranked Skill in working with it like Metal Smith, Mithril Smith, and Valecite Smith, sure. But to wield it? No skill for that except racial or class reasons. Like the Crystal Sword.

I did not intend for it to require a special skill to weild or use darkwood items, but for crafting purposes. Sorry for the miscommunication.
Kable Syranos
Novice
Novice

Return to General Questions and Suggestions