A Brave New Land (Open for anything)

Roleplay within the Inn. IC posts only in this forum

Moderator: Ehlanna

A Brave New Land (Open for anything)

Postby Mockingbird Sticks on Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:57 pm

Sticks sighed as she sat at the table in the corner. Nearly impoverished from her failed foray into the outside world, she had to calm her mind and come up with a plan. Even travelling back home to her people involved risk and expenditure of money that she didn't have, and she was determined yet to see all the wonders of the lowlands. It was a problem, and she was always much better at causing those than fixing them.

The one object she still posessed of any worth was her shawm, a short woodwind instrument that, in the right hands, can sound like a trumpet or a flute. It was also how she thought. Unable even to order food, she put her lips to the device and began playing the Ballad of the Lost Knight, so low that it was barely audible above the other voices.

Slowly, she relaxed, closed her eyes and allowed the wheels in her head to turn, grinding at her problems. The biggest was: No money. No money meant no food, and nowhere to sleep. She had never been great at hunting. The next was that she'd had NO idea that the world could be so vast and diverse, extending many times beyond the sunsets. And lastly, the danger was a problem. "Sticks" was a musician, a singer, a storyteller, and the occasional shameless flirt. Fighting has never led to good things for her, but exploration means danger. Meaning she would have to either find a companion who would trade sword arm for good company, or find a trainer who could work around her small frame. Neither was likely until the first problem was solved.

She thought about making a public performance, maybe busking for a pittance might get her started. Or maybe offer to record and assist some grand venture. The last would be ideal. She turned her thoughts towards meeting adventurers...
Mockingbird Sticks
Novice
Novice

Re: A Brave New Land (Open for anything)

Postby xmastersethx on Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:45 pm

Carthad would be preceded by a loud whud landing on the old wooden porch of the inn, his ussually less than graceful landings further unbalanced by the foul mood that thundered across his brow, gathering like the storm that was building up outside. For one may well be the hundredth time and for certain wouldn't be the last he'd curse this summer weather, the heat and humidity outside unbearable to the light skinned human. Even when the rain began it would be short, and leave the air so sodden it would hang on the skin like a lead blanket, carrying the suns heat into every nook and cranny of the town, including every niche, edge and pocket of his broad frame. His atramentous arch mage robe clung to him like a second skin, the thin silk holding each edge to the point that he might as well not wear it if he wished to keep imaginations guessing, and in this case a quick observation could tell he wore nothing underneath it.

A drink, that's what he needed. Cold, frosty, hell as long as the ale wasn't frozen he wouldn't care. Frozen he'd stil take it, but the idea of lapping at the top of the barley hoppey tasting fluid as it melted didn't seem too appealing. The chirot noted fromt he corner of his eye, but singular objective was that bar, and the moment he reached it he'd wave down fugly. The jingle of coins might be the first real bit to catch the hungry girl's ear, as mehrials, a good portion more than what the price of an ale would be, fell onto the counter with a clatter. "Ale, now, and by the Goddess make it cold." He'd empty his whole damned purse for a few cold ales right now! Obviously he needed to get a slave that was a water mage, as fugly would move toward the back past the room temperature ale barrel. It seemed she was eager for tips...and why not? The inn seemed nearly empty. Slow day.
xmastersethx
Expert
Expert

Postby Mockingbird Sticks on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:35 am

Sticks's keen ears picked up the thump from the porch, unmistakeably a landing body, but too heavy for chirot. Her eyes turned towards the door as she continued playing, and saw an impressively dressed (if a bit indignantly damp) human. She noted the span of his chest and the set of his jaw. 'He could use some cheering up,' she thought, her song rolling into a classic piece called simply, "Possibilities," with a thoughtful and much peppier tone. He seemed impressive enough to be some sort of adventurer. She thought about the possibility of travelling with him for a while, maybe pick up some stories and of course share in the fabled loot of adventuring.

Until she saw the bag of money.

All thought turned away from making him an acquaintance and turned towards making him a mark. She stopped playing and stood, smoothing out her charcoal-colored tunic. The bardess padded slowly up to the bar, seeking to remain unnoticed until he would be close enough to be interested. Men were always easier marks when they were thinking with the little head. The chirot would sit on the stool near him, apparently ignoring his presence aside from a flirty, sidelong glance so brief as to have been imagined.
Mockingbird Sticks
Novice
Novice

Postby xmastersethx on Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:10 pm

Carthad did have a bit of skill for feeling eyes upon him, or perhaps rather it was the simple fact that with nearly no one else within the inn he was aware that trodding in sodden and grumbling made him a spectacle. Still her light and padding approach was completely unnoticed as the first frosty ale was put down before him, head sloshing off to splash at the bar before his fingers closed at the handle and hefted it up, "Another," He'd order before the first sip was even taken, and then head tipped back into the hoppey decadence of the cold brew. Adam's apple bouncing as he'd glug down the beer in heavy slugs, cooling his belly as it would impact in his depths. Half of the stein drained before he'd lower it to the bar and release that satisfied exhalation.

It was only then that his orbs might note the slight but certainly lovely form that had sidled up to the bar not far from him. Had it been the end of a cursory glance he'd just caught, or had the vaguely flirtatious flicker beeen genuine? Too early to blame anything on the drink, but that might change soon enough. He'd return a corner of eye glance to the chirot, rising head to toe over her frame, drinking in lithe curves before appropriate coin was tugged from heavy purse. Left atop the bar to take care of this and future drinks the clinking purse would be returned to the folds of his robes, out of her sight for now.
xmastersethx
Expert
Expert

Postby Mockingbird Sticks on Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:01 pm

Sticks continued to 'not' notice the man's scrutiny, putting a hand on her neck and stretching contentedly as if right at home. The stretch caused the skirt of her tunic to slide up her bare thigh, and to shift and stretch admirably across her chest, but she apparently took no heed. She held the pose just long enough for him to note the three extra inches of leg and the curve of her perky breasts and then sighed, running her hand from her neck through her hair, and letting it rest on the bar in front of her. She turned casually to him, cocky half-smile settling on her lips and genuine humor sparking in her eyes.

"Excuse my intrusion, stranger," she said, in her best friendly and innocent voice, "But I'm new to this place. Is it always so warm here in the lowlands?"

'Let him think he's in control,' the thought to herself, keeping her face the same, 'just wait for the opportunity...' It was a con that worked on the younger Chirot males in her homeland. The bard had often bilked them out of their meager purses, and she figured that this human shouldn't be any different. Of course, had she an inkling of who -or what- she was dealing with, she may have tried a different approach.
Mockingbird Sticks
Novice
Novice

Postby xmastersethx on Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:01 am

It was dangerous to try and con a con man, and though in truth Carthad didn't think of himself as a simple male of deception, he was certainly a predator as she was, the difference being the essence of their quarries. She was after the contents of his purse, and as she'd strike that pose made to entice his eyes, he became increasingly interested in feasting on the lithe tight flesh beneath her outfit. The mug raised again, the remainder of the ale drained after her question was allowed to hang in the air. Pushing the empty stein away along moist bartop, and in moments fugly had replaced it with the second one he had ordered.

Then his face would turn towards her, handsome human features curling upwards into a truly disarming smile, practiced, tried and true to inspire trust and to cause many a being to lower their guard before the charm of the genial human. Glacier blue orbs, piercing in their intensity, spoke of as sharp intelligence over dazzling smile before he'd give a light laugh, "I'm afraid I know little of the chirot homeland, do they not have seasons there little one? It isn't always so damned hot...but the summers here can be quite oppressive. Enough at least to have one loathing the idea of wearing any clothes at all.." He'd say as he'd heft the second brew and take a long drink, "and what brings you down to us here within the Empire then, hmm?"
xmastersethx
Expert
Expert

Postby Mockingbird Sticks on Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:35 am

Sticks smiled back, prettily flashing her sharp pearly teeth, a tinge of guilt hitting her for deceiving such an apparently friendly and open human. A different string of doubt ran through that, however, and despite his manners she caught the intelligence and intensity of his stare. Intelligence and friendliness meant he had little to fear, usually. But she needed that money, and the lowlanders had no wings so she figured that she could fly away should trouble arise.

With a shrug and a wink, she responded, "Well, sir, my people live in caverns hollowed out from the mountains. It stays cool. Here, I would remain nude in my tavern room until nightfall, but it gets lonely with only my own thoughts for company and I came to meet everyone and do everything. What is it that you do, Mister....?"
Mockingbird Sticks
Novice
Novice

Postby xmastersethx on Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:17 pm

He raises a brow to that, learning something new about chirots in those moments. Her smile was sweet, her form lithe, young and cute. Unlike her there was no pangs of guilt over what he inevitably saw himself doing to her, with her. Of course whether that was willing or not seemed completely up to her in his mind, as his fingers rapped along the bar top before him, before his frame would turn completely.She had his full attention now, something that would be both dangerous and exciting if she knew the truth of what lay behind those icy blue orbs.

"You are indeed new here then, my dear, to think that just because you were slipping into the common room you needed clothes." He'd say with a light chuckle, "Perhaps you've seen it, perhaps not...but a great deal of the denizens of this land go about in every state of undress, regardless of the weather....because they are trying to draw the eye and attention, or because they have been ordered by their owners to do. Some, I imagine, just can't afford any more clothes after they've been ripped off of them so often." He'd say as if realizing that last part himself. "I am an enchanter, and a priest of the Goddess Kirva, my dear Chirot. Besides contemplating the pros and cons of lonliness and being naked in your room, what do you do, hmm?"
xmastersethx
Expert
Expert

Postby Mockingbird Sticks on Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:38 pm

Stick's head dipped once in agreement, and cocked to the side, lips pursing. "I have seen such things, my human friend. outright public nudity and people owning one another, even giving up their own freedom. Both are strange," her dark eyes flashed, narrowing to his scrutiny playfully, "But those are things I'd rather experience... second-hand? I do not like attention so much as to go about completely exposed and vulnerable."

She squared off her shoulders towards him, as well, bringing her knee just barely into contact with his. Pretending not to notice, Sticks continued. "I am Sticks, and have been since I could fly off my baby-fat. I'm a bard in the service to my people, my goddess Sheara, and myself. I can sing, dance, and play my dear friend, here," she petted her shawm gently, and smiled. "But for the big picture, I am simply here to learn. People, their stories, everything there is to know and see and sing about. Though to admit it, this Empire of yours isn't exactly kind to bright-eyed newcomers, is it?" She laughed, musically, but it couldn't erase the bitterness deeply disguised in her tone.
Mockingbird Sticks
Novice
Novice

Postby xmastersethx on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:15 pm

The brush of their knees didn't go unnoticed, but perhaps his reaction would be by her. There was none, not even the hint that he'd caught on the touching of their frames as bare is it might be, faintest of strokes. Could it be that he hadn't felt it? Maybe warning lights might have gone off that he wasn't as easily led about by light touches and cute smiles as she thought. The scrunching of her face did have him chuckle though, "Curious that you'd claim to not be looking for attention Sticks, when your chose profession is a Bardess. I suppose you like a bit of oggling, but nonesomuch as you would recieve without clothing adorning your form, hmm?" He'd tease at her lightly.

A dip of his head and his hand would offer up, palm upward, to accept her own dainty fingers if she chose to give them, "I am Carthad, Carthad Droman. A pleasure to meet you Sticks." His smile once more as disarming as could be, friendly and beaming in its warmth, "And no...you are correct. The land respects only those that have methods of preserving themselves, whether it be through power or keeping your own head down. Both methods are used by most here to some degree."
xmastersethx
Expert
Expert

Postby Mockingbird Sticks on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:45 pm

Sticks' heart sank. She usually got at least a spark of hunger as she moved closer. The Chirot adventuress began to truly realise that there had to be more to this man than his genial nature allowed. He was dangerous beneath his smile, like a large, powerful wolf. Which, for some reason or another made Sticks even more intrigued. He had secrets and stories, more valuable to her than even that purse of his, and she wanted them.

She switched tactics, choosing to lay off the easier flirting and angle towards an almost more formal approach. The Bardess would lay her fingers gently across his palm and nodded back at his greeting. "My stories and songs do noone good if all anyone remembers is the way my breasts looked by candlelight. Nice to meet you, Carthad Droman. I can see that you are a man of some influence, then, being a priest. I am afraid that I am not familiar with your goddess, though truly I was sheltered, but is it simply her protection that keeps you unmolested, or do your enchantments simply ward away the brigands and scum?"
Mockingbird Sticks
Novice
Novice

Postby xmastersethx on Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:14 am

He'd note the change of her tone, the shift of it that had him pondering her angle. It wasn't until that moment he'd regarded her as anything but prey...well no, he still regarded her as prey. But she had been flirty prey up until just a few moments ago, and that meant he may not need to get too nasty to get what he desired. That formal shift had him wondering what she was really after, as his fingers would wrap lightly around her hand. "The pleasure is all mine Sticks," He'd say dipping his head to lay a light kiss to the back of her hand. Lips lingered perhaps a bit longer than normal, but not long enough to be deemed inappropriate, before his head would pull back up and he'd stand at his fullest height again.

"Well around these parts you'll get many that will only stop to listen to your songs and stories if they're being performed bare breasted and perhaps with a light sheen upon them, "He'd say with a low chuckle. Her mention of him being a man of influence had a brow arched...was she fishing? "You'll find that most around here will exude a certain degree assuredness, if only to convince others they won't be easy marks. I'll let you decide if that's the case, or if its my Goddess or my magic. As for being sheltered, most here on the surface know little of Kirva, she's a moriel Goddess to many."
xmastersethx
Expert
Expert

Postby Mockingbird Sticks on Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:38 am

Sticks had to admit to herself, if only to keep her tenuous guard up, that he was damnably charming. The kiss lingered, tingling, on her hand even after his lips had left it, and she caught herself. She kept her formal air and stood with him. She was reminded again how damn BIG humans really are. Almost a full foot and god knows how much he outweighed her, she knew that there wouldn't be any chance if she botched this up and actually had to fight him.

She looked into his eyes again. Why did they have to be so damned intense? She forced it out of her mind, and she smiled as coolly as she could manage. "Well, Carthad... If we were to go find a booth, maybe you could tell me about your Moriel Goddess and I could sing you a few stories." All of the aloof airs she had could not contain the excited sparkle in her eyes. She was beginning to wonder exactly what kind of 'enchanter' felt this dangerous. "Maybe you could tell me about your magic, and give me a few new songs to write?" Almost imperceptably, her wing shifted, tugging at the neck of her tunic and bringing another inch of her soft breast into the dim light of the Lonely Inn. Neither flirting nor completely aloof, she now sought a middle ground to keep him guessing, off balance. A wolf won't bite if it doesn't know which way the hare will twist, but he'll remain interested nonetheless.

Or so she hoped.
Mockingbird Sticks
Novice
Novice

Postby xmastersethx on Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:26 am

Oh the poor girl couldn't play more perfectly into his hands, well, that's what he thought at least. Looking down at her deliciously petite little form, already imaging his hands sliding over it, gliding, peeling and gripping. Tender curves that would fit into his palms so nicely, he let her see his orbs flicker down as her wing exposed a bit more of that bosom. It was deliberate, but meant to look like his eye had slipped, as the smile grew wider and eyes rebounded immediately to her face.

He was near certain she'd meant to show him that smidgen more of titflesh, wanted to draw his eye down and make that offer of a booth for them to share all the more tempting. The Necromancer didn't like to take his prey in the open, but a nice secluded corner of a booth? Why it couldn't be a more perfect lair to sample the bounty of the girl's flesh. The fact that she made the offer had him wondering if her plan was to give it to him, or if she was after something else. Something told him that she really couldn't be so foolish as to just invite him to a booth without knowing what the consequences might be. "That sounds delightful Sticks, a bit of music could only improve my mood...though learning the intricacies of my faith might only lower yours." He'd say giving the hint of danger that surrounded his religion. She'd most likely just end up a sacrifice.
xmastersethx
Expert
Expert

Postby Mockingbird Sticks on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:44 am

The Bardess dropped a few coppers on the counter, enough for a small tip, and threw the bartender an apologetic look. She collected two reasonably cold ales and turned around. Then, she looked back at her acquaintance, smiled and headed over to the booth, inwardly gloating. Back here, with enough good conversation and a few drinks, he would be an open book. And, on the way out, she might just get that purse after all... Noone could see them back there, except for the rare times when Fugly would look over to see if they needed a drink. The privacy would make his tongue loose, and make it easier to concentrate on him not noticing that his purse was lighter. The Chirot girl wanted to laugh, he'd played right into her hands.

She unhooked the shawm from her belt, and sat down so that her back was to the door. No need to have him go cutting her off, was there? Sticks put the mugs on the table. She motioned for him to sit across from her, saying, "Sir, if you'll sit down, I'll just start playing one of my favorites...
Mockingbird Sticks
Novice
Novice

Next

Return to Lonely Inn Roleplay